• I want one so bad 79 votes
    29%
  • Bought one; getting more 89 votes
    33%
  • Bought one; don't like it 11 votes
    4%

(268 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 73 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190511_210608 (resized).jpg
20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
IMG_9053 (resized).JPG
11721750_10207709186191798_100239368_n (resized).jpg
11694264_10207709203032219_1048415497_n (resized).jpg
11714257_10207725048308341_1756457387_n (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
P1090942 copy.jpg
P1090940 copy.jpg
P1090941 copy.jpg
DSC_5199 (Large).JPG
DSC_5210 (Large).JPG
DSC_5099 (Large).JPG
DSC_5214 (Large).JPG
DSC_5203 (Large).JPG
DSC_4905 (Large).JPG

There are 360 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
#251 5 years ago

whoops, fixed

#252 5 years ago

I have a few uneven inserts on HS2 along with insert decals. Will this help to even the playfield? Sometimes a slow moving ball will travel along the insert decal...

#253 5 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I have a few uneven inserts on HS2 along with insert decals. Will this help to even the playfield? Sometimes a slow moving ball will travel along the insert decal...

It should, that's why I'm going to try it on BK2K, but I need to either fix or remove my mylar first.

#254 5 years ago

Shoot Bay Area is out of the Taxi flavor, does anyone else (in the US) sell these?

#255 5 years ago

http://playfield-protectors.com/

This lists all the resellers.

#256 5 years ago

Well finally decided to install a pf protector in my CV. I love the protector, but the fact that it was shipped to me rolled up has been an endless source of torment.

~If it arrives at your doorstep rolled up, SEND IT BACK~

The only thing that will get it to relax and lay flat is to heat it up, so I had to roll it up (in the opposite direction) in a yoga mat, and submerge it in hot water in the bathtub. This kind of works, but I still had to put a mild adhesive in a few spots to keep it from curling, particularly on the loops. All of this difficulty so the vendor could save a few bucks on shipping.

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

Well finally decided to install a pf protector in my CV. I love the protector, but the fact that it was shipped to me rolled up has been an endless source of torment.
~If it arrives at your doorstep rolled up, SEND IT BACK~
The only thing that will get it to relax and lay flat is to heat it up, so I had to roll it up (in the opposite direction) in a yoga mat, and submerge it in hot water in the bathtub. This kind of works, but I still had to put a mild adhesive in a few spots to keep it from curling, particularly on the loops. All of this difficulty so the vendor could save a few bucks on shipping.

I had a similar issue so I rolled up the reverse direction as well and then a short period in the sun and all good. If they rolled it up so when it unrolled it was cupped down and not up it wouldn't be as much of a issue.

#259 5 years ago

Anyone have a Taxi protector they want to sell??

#260 5 years ago

Couldn't you just put it on the floor, lay your glass on top of it and hit it with a heat gun real lightly to flatten it out?

#261 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Couldn't you just put it on the floor, lay your glass on top of it and hit it with a heat gun real lightly to flatten it out?

That's what I would try, but since I don't have one, I don't know if it would work. Seems like it would.

Does anyone know if any of the box stores carry sheets (.030) that would work, seems places like tapplastics say a playfield sized piece is considered oversized and costs extra for shipping.

#262 5 years ago

The place MK1 linked only charges $10 extra for oversize. So about $50 from what it looks like.

I wouldn't let the rolled up delivery steer you clear either. A hair blow drier would work just as well. Just take a bit longer to heat it up. If you have more than 1 pinball machine you could also just take the glass off both and put the sheet in the middle and leave it in the sun for the afternoon on a warm day (may have to wait a bit for that in NY though )

#263 5 years ago

yea, no shit on the NY weather

I'd like to do this for an EM I have, I actually want to keep it wrecked, but still have a smooth surface to play on, It just seems like it would be a bunch of work getting all the holes drilled and lined up. My luck I would crack it on the last hole I drilled.

#264 5 years ago

I tried in between 2 pieces of glass in the sun and found a few small out shoot parts (shorter lane, up post on the top lhs, and the tip to the drain on the congo protector wouldn't curl the right way. I was advised by the manufacturer to not use a heat gun and the return policy void.

I rolled up the reverse direction for a week, put it in the sun a little here and there and just left it in the garage for the rest of the time, worked a treat.

#265 5 years ago

Tapplastics sent it to me rolled up. I unrolled it and laid it flat and now it's flat.

#266 5 years ago

Anywhere else to buy these? HS2 has been out of stock for months...

3 weeks later
#267 4 years ago

I am looking for a F-14 Tomcat, but I don't really want to order it from Germany.

1 month later
#268 4 years ago

I am considering fitting one of these protectors to my Eight ball deluxe. Has anyone tried fitting an overlay to 8 ball deluxe and if so what was the result like? Any problems or downside to it?

#269 4 years ago

What have you guys been using to cut these protectors? Just an exacto knife? There are a few tight spots on my F-14.

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

What have you guys been using to cut these protectors? Just an exacto knife? There are a few tight spots on my F-14.

I used a sharpie to mark the bit needing a trim, then a dremel with a soft grinding edge to make the modifications.

Had some tight spots on my TAF too, glad I took the time to fit it though.

1 month later
#271 4 years ago

Playfield protector installed on my Cirqus Voltaire. After 10 hours played i can see many scratches on top of the flippers, but it always still shiny
------
Here a video you can see the playfield at 1min20sec~
(How i can embed a Youtube video ?)

------

DSC_4894 (Large).JPG DSC_4905 (Large).JPG DSC_5203 (Large).JPG DSC_5214 (Large).JPG DSC_5099 (Large).JPG DSC_5210 (Large).JPG DSC_5199 (Large).JPG
#272 4 years ago

Looks phenomenally clean. She's a beaut!

1 month later
#273 4 years ago

Can someone tell me where the cliffys go? There were two answers, 1 was on top, 1 was below the playfield protector...

#274 4 years ago

I would put it under. I guess it depends if it's already installed or not when you put the plastic on.

#275 4 years ago

I went under for my congo, not all of them would mount correctly if on top

#276 4 years ago

I went under as well. It didn't really fit above anyway (Cliffy scoop protector).

#277 4 years ago

Thanks. Under it goes

#278 4 years ago

Has anyone installed one for their Tron LE?
Or TZ?

thanks,

3 weeks later
#279 4 years ago

I have these on all of my machines. I have a Tron pro and it fit it perfect. I ordered all mine from Germany and they gave me free shipping because I order so many, 5 to be exact. I think it makes the game play faster, it is definitely quite. Plus there will be no damage at all to the playfield. So the newer games don't get those divots from the ball. If you strip your machine down to clean and wax than you can install one of these. Plus once you do it and you install the protector the ball never touches the playfield again. I have had one on my stern IJ for over a year and it still looks brand new. Every now and then I take the glass off and wipe it down with Novus 1 to get all the dust off. Other than that I have not had to do any kind of playfield maintenance at all. If anyone has any other questions just let me know.

#280 4 years ago

finished my congo recently with a protector and plays nice & fast and looks great and great over a playfield window as keeps the motion smooth. The shooter lane needed to be trimmed a little and the gap for the rhs lane guide wire to the flipper was not cut properly but notified them a while back, though able to trim and you would never know.

P1090940 copy.jpg P1090941 copy.jpg P1090942 copy.jpg
2 months later
#281 4 years ago

Hi All,

I just installed one of these on my Fathom. It looks nice and the ball rolls smoothly now. However, one thing which surprised me is that the protector moves slightly when the ball is in the pop bumpers. Is this normal? How can I adjust it?

#282 4 years ago

If it's moving side to side put a couple of pieces of mylar down under a couple of playfield plastics. Where you won' t see them. Joe

#283 4 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

If it's moving side to side put a couple of pieces of mylar down under a couple of playfield plastics. Where you won' t see them. Joe

Hi Joe, you mean I should stick it down with some mylar pieces around the edge? I thought I could also use a some round pieces of makrolon (the stuff the protector is made out of) or some large plastic washers under a few of the plastic posts around the outside of the playfield to hold it down.

#284 4 years ago

Use anything to keep the protector from moving. Just make sure the protector is lined up where it's supposed to be or you will have to do it again. Joe

#285 4 years ago

I have a version 2 unused protector for Funhouse - never installed. Ended up selling the game before I had a chance to install it - PM me if interested.

#286 4 years ago

Any BSD pinsiders with this protector? Is it wort it?

#287 4 years ago

Got a 1st gen version for my well worn Bally KISS machine. $34+$21 shipping off ebay. Easy install and looks nice. Plays great. Mata Hari will be next for me...........but for full retail $119................ouch

1 week later
#288 4 years ago

I bought one from bestofpinball,to my eightballdeluxe.
What a piece of crap! It looks nice,but After 5min the plastic starts to "wave" in front of the ball.
The reason is the 8x2 lamps infront of the drop targets,they are sitting to close.
Bestofpinball refuses to deal with the "problem" and are telling me to mail the manufacturer.(which i did-no response).
I made a video 5min after i let the playfield "cooldown".

The playfield protector is 0.75mm,thats to thinn for lamps that are sitting so close.
Guess i have to LED the playfield,since bestofpinball not taking any responsebillity for their products. Im not gonna buy anything more from them.
(Sorry for the gramma,im swedish).

#289 4 years ago

Would a cliffy be necessary? Isn't it overkill putting a protector over a protector? I am thinking about getting a couple of these, and wondered if the cliffys would even be needed.

#290 4 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Would a cliffy be necessary? Isn't it overkill putting a protector over a protector? I am thinking about getting a couple of these, and wondered if the cliffys would eeven be needed.

I see them as complimentary products.

the makrolon playfield protector will protect 99% of your playfield where the ball travels, but the cliffy, mantis or what have you will protect the vertical edges of the scoop holes where the ball enters and exits

#291 4 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Would a cliffy be necessary? Isn't it overkill putting a protector over a protector? I am thinking about getting a couple of these, and wondered if the cliffys would eeven be needed.

I think these protectors are a little oversize and are cut a little larger than playfield openings. Therefore this clear protective sheet will not protect corners and sides of playfield cut-outs like a Cliffy or Mantis protector would, so you will still need the additional protectors.

#292 4 years ago

Both answers made perfect sense. Thank you for the input.

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from KAIN:

I bought one from bestofpinball,to my eightballdeluxe.
What a piece of crap! It looks nice,but After 5min the plastic starts to "wave" in front of the ball.
The reason is the 8x2 lamps infront of the drop targets,they are sitting to close.
Bestofpinball refuses to deal with the "problem" and are telling me to mail the manufacturer.(which i did-no response).
I made a video 5min after i let the playfield "cooldown".
» YouTube video
The playfield protector is 0.75mm,thats to thinn for lamps that are sitting so close.
Guess i have to LED the playfield,since bestofpinball not taking any responsebillity for their products. Im not gonna buy anything more from them.
(Sorry for the gramma,im swedish).

You probably have an edge of the protector that is touching a post or ball guide, etc. Simply find what is causing the protector to bind, file that edge down and it will lay on the playfield perfectly without wanting to raise up when the heat from the bulbs is present.

#294 4 years ago

I thought so too, but i can move the playfield around so it isnt stuck.

#295 4 years ago

That's strange. I have protectors on 5 different machines and never had that occur. One of them is Pinball Pool which has a 15 inserts closely spaced in a rack formation - no problems. I am using #47s not 44s.

#296 4 years ago

I would really like a protector for my pharaoh. The game has suffered from planking, and I am fine with that. Bough it as a project, and I can't see myself going the route of getting someone to paint it and CC it.
And the planking gives it an extra "edge".
So I am loving it like it is now, and to have a protector bottle it up in time would make me more than happy.

If someone knows anything about a protector for pharaoh, speak up.

Axl

5 months later
#297 3 years ago

I read through this entire thread, and I still didn't see an answer on waxing. Is anybody waxing their playfield protector?
Also, would you install this on a NIB stern? I'm thinking it will keep the playfield in perfect condition and give the factory clear a couple extra years to harden.

#298 3 years ago
Quoted from sulakd:

Also, would you install this on a NIB stern? I'm thinking it will keep the playfield in perfect condition and give the factory clear a couple extra years to harden.

This should prevent the new Playfield from compressing and show dimples. Although I don't know for sure.

You should be able to wax over the protector.

#299 3 years ago
Quoted from sulakd:

I read through this entire thread, and I still didn't see an answer on waxing. Is anybody waxing their playfield protector?

I have one installed on my MET (and every other machine that I own that they make one for) and I love it - keeps the playfield dimple-free from airballs. Also, keeps your magnets looking factory fresh and does not affect their functionality. Not sure if I would believe that the clearcoat will ever get hard enough over time to prevent dimpling though. I don't wax mine and it seems to be holding up pretty good. I also put spacers (about .070") under all the posts to guard against airballs.

#300 3 years ago

Question. I have a machine and every playfield inlay is warped downward... causes frequent ball launching. The playfield is also completely covered in Mylar. Do you think a Playfield Protector would be thick enough to smooth out the field?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 221.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 209.00
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Plains, IL
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Sale Pending!
Novi, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Thorndale, PA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
€ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 360 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside