P1090940 copy.jpg
P1090941 copy.jpg
DSC_5199 (Large).JPG
DSC_5210 (Large).JPG
DSC_5099 (Large).JPG
DSC_5214 (Large).JPG
DSC_5203 (Large).JPG
DSC_4905 (Large).JPG
There are 361 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
#201 10 years ago

re downloaded the pictures, this time in larger format. This I think will hopefully be OK

abspielung_rfm_1a.jpgabspielung_rfm_1a.jpg abspielung_t2_1a.jpgabspielung_t2_1a.jpg abspielung_t2_2a.jpgabspielung_t2_2a.jpg abspielung_t2_3a.jpgabspielung_t2_3a.jpg abspielung_t2_4a.jpgabspielung_t2_4a.jpg abspielung_t2_5a.jpgabspielung_t2_5a.jpg abspielung_t2_6a.jpgabspielung_t2_6a.jpg abspielung_t2_7a.jpgabspielung_t2_7a.jpg
#202 10 years ago

Thanks!

#203 10 years ago

Thanks for posting. Having second thoughts for sure....

#204 10 years ago

I think the problem here is I see most people are wanting to buy this as a replacement for clear coat. This is supposed to be a playfield protector, not a replacement for clear. The fact it scratches is part of the protection (scratches it not your playfield). Difference is with your PF you can novus the scratches out to a point. Seems this product should be used to help save an old playfield that's starting to have wear issues or to put on a routed game to prevent the wear from starting and not to be used as a replacement for a professional clearcoat job (the shiny look).

#205 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I think the problem here is I see most people are wanting to buy this as a replacement for clear coat. This is supposed to be a playfield protector, not a replacement for clear. The fact it scratches is part of the protection (scratches it not your playfield). Difference is with your PF you can novus the scratches out to a point. Seems this product should be used to help save an old playfield that's starting to have wear issues or to put on a routed game to prevent the wear from starting and not to be used as a replacement for a professional clearcoat job (the shiny look).

Oh, not at all my concern.

I never in a million years thought it would be a replacement for a clear coat. That would be ridiculous. I did think it would have some smoothing advantages, and look good as it did it's job. I never figured that it would end up looking worse than the unprotected play field in a relatively short time, and not have the ability to be brought back to looking nice again via simple cleaning and polishing. That's where it lost me.

#206 10 years ago

I am pretty sure that, if you install it on a properly cleaned machine with new balls, new rubbers, it wouldn't look like the above photos.
We have the protectors here on several machines (T2, BSD, HS2, FT, ...) and there are some scratches, but still they look very good.

What I would do... if the next "service" is coming up, I would clean the machine very carefully, put on new rubbers, put in new balls and then give these protectors a try. Begin with one, if it's okay... then the next one.

Please be aware that the machine "feels" a bit different... some say more "smoothly". That is also not everybodies taste...

4 weeks later
#207 10 years ago

Just a litte review of my plafield protector which i use from the first day i got my AC/DC. It has now 460 games on it and today i just took the protector away because i installed Helen . So a good opportunity to check what's what. My playfield never saw a ball because it was protected from the first day and it looks still absolutely factory fresh. No scratches, nothing. I also didn't have dirty unter the protector.
I cleaned the protector from both sides and in the bumper area it looks pretty scratchy IF you hold it against a light. if it lays on the playfield it still looks very good. I have to admit that i keep my pinball VERY clean (whipe down after every aprox 30 games).

So here you see how it looks after 460 games (5ball games)

IMG_2216.JPGIMG_2216.JPG
IMG_2219.JPGIMG_2219.JPG
IMG_2220.JPGIMG_2220.JPG

Maybe now you think WHAT THE *****. But as i said if it lays on the plafield it looks absolutely clean and shiny.

Here the same areas with the protector installed.
DSC05425.JPGDSC05425.JPG
DSC05429.JPGDSC05429.JPG
DSC05424.JPGDSC05424.JPG

I also use one on my Creature and have the same results. It still looks awesome after also about 500 games.

And here a video of the machine after cleaning.

#208 10 years ago
Quoted from OlDirty:

Just a litte review of my plafield protector which i use from the first day i got my AC/DC. It has now 460 games on it and today i just took the protector away because i installed Helen . So a good opportunity to check what's what. My playfield never saw a ball because it was protected from the first day and it looks still absolutely factory fresh. No scratches, nothing. I also didn't have dirty unter the protector.
I cleaned the protector from both sides and in the bumper area it looks pretty scratchy IF you hold it against a light. if it lays on the playfield it still looks very good. I have to admit that i keep my pinball VERY clean (whipe down after every aprox 30 games).
So here you see how it looks after 460 games (5ball games)

Maybe now you think WHAT THE *****. But as i said if it lays on the plafield it looks absolutely clean and shiny.
Here the same areas with the protector installed.

I also use one on my Creature and have the same results. It still looks awesome after also about 500 games.
And here a video of the machine after cleaning.
» YouTube video

IMG_2216.JPG 34 KB

IMG_2219.JPG 27 KB

IMG_2220.JPG 29 KB

DSC05429.JPG 72 KB

DSC05425.JPG 110 KB

DSC05424.JPG 100 KB

Thanks! This is the sort of useful info I was hoping to get from this thread. I'm thinking about getting one for my BoP.

#209 10 years ago

thanks for that as I wanted to get one for my creature and congo and though it shows wear, but when on the game it looks great. I have to do a full shop on both games so it will be perfect timing.

#210 10 years ago

Just ordered 3 myself of Embryon, Frontier and Paragon. I am excited that this will protect these games from anymore wear for pretty much forever.

1 month later
#211 9 years ago

Does anyone have, or has seen one of these installed on The Shadow? My Shadow has some kind of bad insert lifting...

#212 9 years ago

I bought 2 - Congo and CFBTL and doing a shop out of Congo now so will report back in the near future of any issues and thoughts.

#213 9 years ago
Quoted from comat0se:

Does anyone have, or has seen one of these installed on The Shadow? My Shadow has some kind of bad insert lifting...

I'll be installing one on my Shadow soon. Happy to report back once it's on.

I installed one on my Addam's Family about 300 plays ago - it's great! The only thing i found annoying is some magnetic dirt has collected underneath around the lower right Power magnet causing a mild discolouration - especially noticable when my blue LED topper lighting is on. To clean this out i'd have to remove the flippers, slings and guide rails. Now i've written it down that's not that much to do to be honest! I'm obviously just too lazy or preoccupied with playing it!

#214 9 years ago

So are you guys waxing on top of these protectors?

#215 9 years ago
Quoted from grbgemen:

So are you guys waxing on top of these protectors?

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't on my recent install. Should I have?

#216 9 years ago

Anyone install one of these on a Family Guy? I need some input.

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from gwarrior:

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't on my recent install. Should I have?

I heard someone had tried to do that and damaged his.

#218 9 years ago

Just installed mine on Embryon.

Impressions:

Easy to install - only had to remove the two lower flipper bats, the flip save bat, a few plastics, and ball gates.

Pro Tip - Spray the backside (the side that will be going against the playfield with Novus 1 to prevent it from attracting dirt. Novus 1 is anti static/fog etc.

Gives a great shine, ball rolls silently! Game speed is just about the same as before, only had to adjust 4 switches and I have only had one air ball after 30 or so plays.

I have one for Paragon and Frontier, and will be purchasing more for my other games.

#219 9 years ago

thanks for the tip in regards to the Novus 1

these would be great also for protecting one off re-theme's of a popular game as well

#220 9 years ago

Anyone done a black knight? Someone earlier asked about removing the upper
Playfield to get to the turnaround ???

#221 9 years ago

I have the protector installed in several of my games. First, it is a replacement for a clear coat. The result looks a lot like a third party clear coated playfield. After about 1000 plays, the protectors still look very shiny and like a clear coat. The above photos are ridiculous. Clean those machines. I kept my protectors cleaned and waxed just like the playfield.

#222 9 years ago

Just bought a second one for LOTR. Already have mine for WH2O and love it!

2 weeks later
#223 9 years ago

Installed the LOTR one tonight and it is a pain due to the lights coming through the inlanes. Had to carefully navigate the inlane guides through the playfield protector to get it on. Love how it looks.

2 weeks later
#224 9 years ago

I don't see these on BayAreaAmusements, Are these still available? Looking for one for BK2K. Thanks!

EDIT: Found it. Anyone have one of these on a BK2K?
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-BK2K-PF-PROTECTOR

#225 9 years ago

I got 2 from Bay Area and they were rolled up so when unrolled and laid on the the playfield they lift up in areas. I have had the Congo one flat with weight on it for a few weeks and still not sitting flat at the shooter lane, drain, volcano ramp and around 2 switches.

Any one have any tips? Do I use a few bits of double sided tape?

Also the Congo one is a version 2, and missing the cut out for the left drain wire divider so had to knife cut it as well.

#226 9 years ago

I'm no expert, but I have worked with sheet plastic. I would say you need to warm it a little. I wouldn't use anything more than a hairdryer at a distance. Lay it on the table, curl side up and gently warm it with a hairdryer, you should see it start to lay down, then let it cool. Might be best to do it inside the machine if you already have it apart, or on the playfield glass.

Like I said, I'm no expert, maybe someone has a better option but I suspect while it was in that tube, it got warm and held that curl.

I don't think putting weight on it will help much unless it's warm.

Not sure why they are shipping these in tubes. I mean cost is obvious, but it doesn't seem like a good idea for something that is intended to lay perfectly flat when installed.

#227 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I'm no expert, but I have worked with sheet plastic. I would say you need to warm it a little. I wouldn't use anything more than a hairdryer at a distance. Lay it on the table, curl side up and gently warm it with a hairdryer, you should see it start to lay down, then let it cool. Might be best to do it inside the machine if you already have it apart, or on the playfield glass.
Like I said, I'm no expert, maybe someone has a better option but I suspect while it was in that tube, it got warm and held that curl.
I don't think putting weight on it will help much unless it's warm.
Not sure why they are shipping these in tubes. I mean cost is obvious, but it doesn't seem like a good idea for something that is intended to lay perfectly flat when installed.

thanks for the tips, I sent off a question to the manufacturing company and bay area as well to get there thoughts and then I will try there tips first to cover myself and then you tips.

it was sent in a box rolled up as I am in Aus but if anything they probably should of been rolled up the other way so the curl is down

#228 9 years ago

Have not installed mine yet but I also did find it odd that it was shipped wrapped. I have been letting it sit flat until I am ready to install but I see what you mean about some curling up on the shooter lane area.

#229 9 years ago

I ordered mine from best of pinball and it was shipped flat in a big cardboard box.

http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/index.php/cPath/636/session/true

#230 9 years ago

When I made my own the roll I bought was rolled but flattened out easy enough.
I believe the old glass in light trick may work with a VERY keen eye and multiple checks though.

#231 9 years ago

What a waste of good hard earned cash. Why don't you all just wrap your games up in plastic and don't play them, that way you will keep them looking like new.

#232 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballShed:

What a waste of good hard earned cash. Why don't you all just wrap your games up in plastic and don't play them, that way you will keep them looking like new.

I bought mine for F-14 tomcat, the inserts were popping, and some were cracked. The cost to repair the playfield properly was more then 3 times that of a protector...and the chevron inserts (that were cracked) were unobtainable.

So tell me. What is the most cost effective way to turn a gravel road into a smooth path? Enlighten me.

#233 9 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I got 2 from Bay Area and they were rolled up so when unrolled and laid on the the playfield they lift up in areas. I have had the Congo one flat with weight on it for a few weeks and still not sitting flat at the shooter lane, drain, volcano ramp and around 2 switches.
Any one have any tips? Do I use a few bits of double sided tape?
Also the Congo one is a version 2, and missing the cut out for the left drain wire divider so had to knife cut it as well.

Do you have a couple extra sheets of playfield glass laying around? If you do, try putting the protector between them and setting it out in the sun for a bit. The sun will heat it up and the 2 sheets of glass will keep it flat. Once it is good and warm bring it inside and let it cool down while still between the glass. This should take care of it.

#234 9 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I bought mine for F-14 Tomcat, the inserts were popping, and some were cracked. The cost to repair the playfield properly was more then 3 times that of a protector...and the chevron inserts (that were cracked) were unobtainable.
So tell me. What is the most cost effective way to turn a gravel road into a smooth path? Enlighten me.

This is the same reason I want one. I don't have the time, skills or money to fix all my inserts on BK2K and the lightning wheel and multiplier bolt inserts are right there in the center of the playfield and between the flippers. This product would be a great way to get a smooth playfield at a minimal cost and protect the playfield from any further damage until I can get around to doing a complete restoration.

Short answer is, I want to spend my time playing my game, not restoring it.

#235 9 years ago

The playfield protector has proved to be valuable to me and my TAF. TAF inserts had cracks and I covered them with decals. On top of that I installed the playfield protector. Now the gameplaying on my TAF is just fine and it also looks good (well, there is some ghosting on the mansion windows, but its no biggie). I can wait should PPS decide to release new TAF playfields and do the playfield swap then

#236 9 years ago

Installed one on my LOTR and have one on WH2O. Both playfields would have needed some touching up along with clear coating. This is cheaper, can be replaced easily or even removed if I sell it, and the next owner wants to go through all the trouble.

These things are great. If you have a problem with someone buying one of these, you really need to reevaluate your priorities in life.

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from ThatsaKicker:

When I made my own the roll I bought was rolled but flattened out easy enough.
I believe the old glass in light trick may work with a VERY keen eye and multiple checks though.

Do you have any info on how you made yours? Where you bought the materials, how you cut it etc?

Thanks!

3 months later
#238 9 years ago

Does anyone who installed these last year have any long term feedback before I pull the trigger on getting one of these?

Thanks!

#239 9 years ago

Oh my goodness, sorry NextoPin, I obviously didn't see your post!!

Firstly about making - most would call me mad and I am.
I browsed the bay for a cheap polycarbonate at the right thickness. Was £30 rolled for enough for 3 playfields worth. Thats $50 I guess??
I chose to drill holes for all posts, thus ensuring a secure fit and hopefully reducing dust. After one slight scratch on my first go due to cheap drillbits. I got it to fit pretty nice.

I do need to take it off again to make some holes slightly larger as some areas can 'bulge' but in areas that don't affect gameplay.

As far as long term use - it's held up fine, cant see any scratches or clouding but tbh we don't play as much as some might.
The only thing I would say is that there can be a few airballs and fast behaviour.

For our needs (cheap, not minding diy, kinda wrecked playfield as is) it is pretty perfect. I also have a template if I need to make again for not much cost.

But as some may have said, dust can get to areas. I assume this is worse with the ones you buy with larger holes for rollovers etc.

If your machine is in pretty good nick I'd look into clearing, even with varathane? I guess it depends what you're looking for.

#240 9 years ago

It's all good, I just posted it today

I have a BK2K and I eventually want to buy the pre-cut for that, but what brought it back up for me is this old EM I'm working on. I have a 2nd playfied that I'm going to restore, but I want to play it in the mean time, so I was going to try and find a sheet of this plastic and put it over the old wrecked (90k plays) playfield. This way I don't have to deal with the cupped inserts, wear etc but I'll still have a smooth surface to play on.

I haven't been able to find any locally, I was thinking about using the plastic film from a poster frame, but those are 34x36 max and I think they are .06 -.09 instead of .03.

I'm going to check out the craft places later and see if I can find it.

Once I try it out and it works ok, I'm going to try it on the BK2K.

Pics of the patient.
photo 5.JPGphoto 5.JPG

#241 9 years ago

Fair enough. It'd definitely do just to get that going.

As for making it, just a drill with various size bits, hole saw bits and a torch

#242 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Does anyone who installed these last year have any long term feedback before I pull the trigger on getting one of these?

I've had one installed on Pinball Pool and Capt. Fantastic for months. I don't have any regrets. They have held up well - no scratches or wear at all. The only bad thing I will say is that the ball trajectory is dramatically changed around the cutouts for the star rollovers. The two at the top of Capt Fantastic really play havoc with the ball. The ball sometimes will even get stuck in the cutouts, but not often and is still better than playing on a playfield that has cupped inserts, plus it protects any artwork touchups you make. Someday I will swap out the new CPR playfield I have for it, but until then I'm content with the plastic protector.

#243 9 years ago

Thanks for that feedback. Does the ball sound different when it's rolling on the playfield? can you still hear it? That's something I like on EM's. For BK2K, I don't think I've ever heard any sounds the pin makes I have the volume up so loud!

1 week later
#244 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Thanks for that feedback. Does the ball sound different when it's rolling on the playfield? can you still hear it? That's something I like on EM's. For BK2K, I don't think I've ever heard any sounds the pin makes I have the volume up so loud!

As you might expect, there is significant reduction in the sound of the ball rolling around on the playfield, but I don't wouldn't count that as a bad thing myself.

#245 9 years ago

Has anyone purchased one of these fOr an IJ (Williams) AND installed it AND has photos of it they are willing to share?

#246 9 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

Has anyone purchased one of these AND installed it AND has photos of it they are willing to share?

I've installed one on my Addams Family; here are some photos of it in situ.

The only thing that bothers me, ever so slightly, is a small bit of white 'fluff' over Quick Multiball which is trapped under the protector. I don't have any photos of it taken out again to show the scratches or stuff because taking it out right now just to show that and remove that fluff would just be silly, sorry. Besides that, i can't see any obvious marks on it. During installation it took a few mins of marking with a sharpie where it didn't line up quite right, so i just took a dremel to it and hey preto - snug fit.

I have one for TZ, but haven't built up the courage to strip the playfield back enough to fit it yet...

DSC_3305.JPGDSC_3305.JPG DSC_3306.JPGDSC_3306.JPG DSC_3313.JPGDSC_3313.JPG DSC_3328.JPGDSC_3328.JPG DSC_3330.JPGDSC_3330.JPG DSC_3333.JPGDSC_3333.JPG DSC_3334.JPGDSC_3334.JPG DSC_3340.JPGDSC_3340.JPG
#247 9 years ago

I've bought 4 more of these since the original 2 I bought last year for Centaur and BOP, to me they are an economical, time and work saving alternative to clear coating, and they they do a damn good job.

I have several older games that require a lot of playfield touch up and insert work, work that would cost way more than the games are worth, so these will protect the touchups and level the playfield, win win!!

#248 9 years ago

Thanks for the photos. I actually meant to ask if anyone installed this on an IJ, but clearly the fingers did not type what the brain was thing

I amended the above and appreciate your thoughts and inputs though. IJ will be time consuming to strip, so I just wanna see if it's worth it for me

#249 9 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I've installed one on my Addams Family; here are some photos of it in situ.
The only thing that bothers me, ever so slightly, is a small bit of white 'fluff' over Quick Multiball which is trapped under the protector. I don't have any photos of it taken out again to show the scratches or stuff because taking it out right now just to show that and remove that fluff would just be silly, sorry. Besides that, i can't see any obvious marks on it. During installation it took a few mins of marking with a sharpie where it didn't line up quite right, so i just took a dremel to it and hey preto - snug fit.
I have one for TZ, but haven't built up the courage to strip the playfield back enough to fit it yet...

DSC_3313.JPG 131 KB

DSC_3305.JPG 248 KB

DSC_3306.JPG 237 KB

DSC_3328.JPG 148 KB

DSC_3330.JPG 172 KB

DSC_3333.JPG 238 KB

DSC_3340.JPG 354 KB

DSC_3334.JPG 204 KB

That looks great, nice job!

Thank you for posting the pics.

#250 9 years ago

NextoPin ?

EDIT: Ah - now i see your comments are [inside] my quotation... Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 179.00
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 1,159.00
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 361 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-full-sheet-plastic/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.