P1090940 copy.jpg
P1090941 copy.jpg
DSC_5199 (Large).JPG
DSC_5210 (Large).JPG
DSC_5099 (Large).JPG
DSC_5214 (Large).JPG
DSC_5203 (Large).JPG
DSC_4905 (Large).JPG
There are 361 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 10 years ago

Does anyone know if you should wax your playfield before putting the protector down?

#102 10 years ago

Well i waxed mine before ... everything looks ok ..

#103 10 years ago

I didn't wax mine. So you should be ok either way

#104 10 years ago

If they had one for Gorgar, Id be all over it.

#105 10 years ago

Bummer...just found this thread and thought it looked like a great idea for my HS which is my first project pin. Looks like they only have Getaway but not HS.

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Ok, I did an error when installing my protector for MM.
As I looked at the protector on the playfield, the troll-holes looked to be to small for the troll-doors. Furthermore I remembered that the earlier owner told me that he had
bought some enhancement for the trolls.
Well, I then thought that the holed for the trolls were too small because of the "enhanced" i.e. bigger troll doors installed by the earlier owner... For this reason I cut the holes bigger with not that much of success - the cutout look quite terrible now. I also tried to iron out any cut-errors with sandpaper and it turned out that the sandpaper made the macrolon look cloudy there were I had used the sandpaper.
After making the holes bigger I realized that the intention of the manufacturer probably is that the troll-doors stay on top of the protector all the time and that's why only smaller holes are needed.
So, now I have the first complaint about the product: I do feel that in situations like this proper install instructions should follow the protector - while the solution probably self-evident to some people, for me it was not in this case.
I have emailed bestofpinball and asked, whether they would offer a replacement. I'll post a follow-up here.

Why would you cut it? Why not contact them FIRST? I doubt they offer a replacement as you butchered the product without consulting the manufacturer first. Here are some proper install instructions: Be patient, don't change the product without consulting the manufacturer, and live with your choices.

#107 10 years ago

Judremy, to answer your question, with reference to my message, I was sure at the time that the holes are too small for my modified trapdoors (later found out that they are regular ones), so that's why I went and cut them.

Yes, bestofpinball.de did not offer a replacement and/or discount, so I will have to order a new one. I received info from a fellow pinball-enthusiast that indeed the trapdoor should go on top of the product.

#108 10 years ago

I am waiting for them to re-stock on Taxi.
Has anyone tried the Taxi one?
-mof

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Judremy, to answer your question, with reference to my message, I was sure at the time that the holes are too small for my modified trapdoors (later found out that they are regular ones), so that's why I went and cut them.
Yes, bestofpinball.de did not offer a replacement and/or discount, so I will have to order a new one. I received info from a fellow pinball-enthusiast that indeed the trapdoor should go on top of the product.

Hopefully my post did not come off as rude. I just know I have done things where if I only waited and thought about it first, I would have saved myself time and money. Always ask the vendor is my new rule.

#110 10 years ago

No problem judremy! It was worth to ask for the discount though, bestofpinball offered a small discount in this case to me after all.

#111 10 years ago

should be one more poll option.
bought one, not sure if i'd buy another.
I like the way it looks and plays, waiting to see if it's sliding makes a difference.
Installed on a FH, not much to secure it other than ramp flaps.

#112 10 years ago

Is it recommended or imperative to remove Mylar before installing?
For those that left the Mylar on, how noticeable is it?

#113 10 years ago

I left mylar on it and we can barely see it as all the playfield is shiny

#114 10 years ago

I removed my mylar and messed up my inserts so I recommend to leave it on. As far as the sliding a few simple pieces of mylar or vinyl in places you can't see will easily secure it.

1 month later
#115 10 years ago

**Bump!**

So, how is this holding up after a couple of months? Is wear starting to show on them or still shiny and transparent as when you first got em?

#116 10 years ago

Mine is still nice and shiny, I have noticed some dust under it though

Still happy with the purchase.

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

**Bump!**
So, how is this holding up after a couple of months? Is wear starting to show on them or still shiny and transparent as when you first got em?

I traded my FT that I put the protector on, but the new owner had a few comments. He said that dirt and debris is getting underneath the protector especially around the back near the lanes. When I had it, it seemed to accumulate a lot more scratches than I thought it would. I would consider getting another one if I bought it to protect a decal or something like that.

#118 10 years ago

Mine is still bright and shiny and no real dirt under if you clean frequently ...

#119 10 years ago

So far very positive feedback on them. We are selling them on bayareaamusements.com site, and just got a bunch of titles in, and another large shipment due really soon ...

#120 10 years ago

well, just came in 10 minutes ago, will put on the site today hopefully: IJ, TOTAN, MB, BSD, TZ, Sopranos, CC, AFM, LOTR, GI, Fireball 2, Kiss, EBD, WW, WH2O, Shrek, Family Guy, TS, Alvin G Garage Band, TSPP, Playboy (Bally), T3, IJ (stern) ...

#121 10 years ago

I'm watching with interest but not ready to jump in just yet. Let's see how they weather.

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I'm watching with interest but not ready to jump in just yet. Let's see how they weather.

+1
More testimonials please!

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from BAA:

well, just came in 10 minutes ago, will put on the site today hopefully: IJ, TOTAN, MB, BSD, TZ, Sopranos, CC, AFM, LOTR, GI, Fireball 2, Kiss, EBD, WW, WH2O, Shrek, Family Guy, TS, Alvin G Garage Band, TSPP, Playboy (Bally), T3, IJ (stern) ...

I have been waiting for WH2O. May get LOTR later too. Let us know when you have them up!

#124 10 years ago

Not sure how it will hold up, but love the way it looks and plays.

#125 10 years ago

They are now up on the site.

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from BAA:

They are now up on the site.

Still looking for a reply if WhiteWater comes with a protector for the upper playfield? Didn't see one in the pic on the site.

Is it just me or does Bay Area Amusements have bad communication? I have emailed them several times and tried PM on here. Now the WH2O one is missing from the site completely. Makes it hard to want to purchase from them.

#127 10 years ago

A thought that I've not seen discussed here is for those playfields where replacement is not available you can take on the task of restoration or you can get one of these and keep the weathered look and still have it play like new.

My opinion is if your going to take the time to do a the restoration take the time to clear coat it, but if you're wanting something that will play well and you kind of like the look of a weathered playfield get one and try it out.

I just bought one for a Bally Mystic. While I look for a better playfield I'll get to play on the one I've got in the mean time.

#128 10 years ago

Lexan ® Polycarbonate Cleaning Instructions
http://www.usplastic.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx?contentkey=573

#129 10 years ago

Had mine on LOTR now for quite a few months, no issues. Installed on ACDC premium, noted balls getting caught in front of drop targets a few times doe to the edge of the sheet being there. Quick bump and they are back in action though. Overall, happy with them.

#130 10 years ago

Good info, thanks.

#131 10 years ago

How about gorgar?

#132 10 years ago

Ordered WH2O protector hoping it comes with the upper playfield piece shown on the German site.

3 weeks later
#133 10 years ago

hi, how is the protector holding up? do you get ball trails and scratches? thanks joe

#134 10 years ago

Mine stays very very clean and shiny after a few months and a lot of games ... 100 % satisfied

#135 10 years ago

thanks mike,i might pick up one for t-2 and bsd. joe

#136 10 years ago

have one on my DRAC, looks great!

#137 10 years ago

hi perry, got any pics?joe

#138 10 years ago

I've just installed one on my JM. It covers 100% of the playfield that can be reached by the ball, but I was disappointed that it's not held down by posts - instead, circles are cut around them. I haven't repopulated the top of the playfield yet but it seems likely that I'll need to tape it down in several places to keep it from moving. As for aesthetics, it adds a nice glossy shine.

I think I may try cutting my own Makralon sheet for CSI, and use the posts to secure the plastic. I have a spare playfield I can use as a template.

#139 10 years ago

Mine isn't moving at all

#140 10 years ago

Installed on my HS2. Moves around a bit and attracts everything with its insane static cling. I should have vacuumed my pf after waxing and before install. This thing attracted every piece of dust in the machine straight onto it. I do like how it adds a nice shine and smooths out my lifted inserts, but the dust underneath is annoying. Plays a little faster and i do notice quite a few more air balls. I would not buy again unless i happened to buy another "player quality" machine and want a quick solution for a not so good PF.

#141 10 years ago

I've bought and installed four so far and will buy and install one for every machine I own. I absolutely hate playfield wear to the point I can't play the pin if it has any. This is a perfect solution and works great! As far as it moving around, just stick it to the playfield with clear vinyl at the points that are covered like under the ramp flaps and where the balls drain under the apron, problem solved, none of mine move at all after that.

#142 10 years ago

I can see getting another for a PF that was already damaged or has lifted/chipped inserts, but if your PF is nice and you wax and change your balls regularly i dont see the need for one. Plus the annoyance of dust that gets under them is not worth it IMHO.

#143 10 years ago

Mine has ball tracks and scuff wear from the kickout tunnel on my FH. I clean and wax it weekly including the balls, maybe 100 plays. Game still looks better than before. Mine was on the edge for a CC. Still can with no ill effects.
Izzy

#144 10 years ago

I did buy the one for WH2O and it does come with the upper playfield piece even though it is not shown on the BAA site. Haven't installed yet due to my project to finish my basement.

#145 10 years ago

joe, can get some pics soon for you review

#146 10 years ago

hi perry, no rush.i just scored 1,350 bil.if I keep this up i'll need 2 of them. joe

#147 10 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

hi perry, got any pics?joe

Here is one on my STTNG and BDK.

STTNG.jpgSTTNG.jpg BDK.JPGBDK.JPG

If anyone knows how to rotate the BDK pic, please do.

#148 10 years ago

hi quarter, nice games. i'm still wondering about scratches and ball trails. thanks joe.

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

hi quarter, nice games. i'm still wondering about scratches and ball trails. thanks joe.

I've noticed on my STTNG it is developing ball trails in the return lanes, no scratches though, I don't think this plastic can scratch or it is very hard to scratch it. I haven't tried cleaning the ball trails yet on my STTNG but I'm sure they'll come out easy. If they don't come out then better the protector then my beautiful playfield, that's what the protector is for anyway, to protect my playfield.

#150 10 years ago

I have one for TAF that I am going to be selling.

P1010001.JPGP1010001.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 180.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 361 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-full-sheet-plastic/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.