P1090940 copy.jpg
P1090941 copy.jpg
DSC_5199 (Large).JPG
DSC_5210 (Large).JPG
DSC_5099 (Large).JPG
DSC_5214 (Large).JPG
DSC_5203 (Large).JPG
DSC_4905 (Large).JPG
There are 361 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 10 years ago

It could go down over Mylar, but my f-14 had the mylar removed first. The shine is like a piece of glass on your game. It looks incredible. You can just clean it with novus. I highly recommend the product, but I'm a noobie.

I've only been into pinball for a couple years, this plays differently then a game that has been clearcoated, and I really like it. I really would like a pro to give this stuff a try because its got a different feel then any of my other games. NOT SAYING THAT A BAD THING, I LOVE THIS STUFF. It's not available for my other games. But I will get one for T'eed off when it becomes available.

You have to remove most of the playfield to install it, so it could be quite a job for a BOP game.

#52 10 years ago

I've got a fishtales that im going to strip down next month. Ill probably order one of these and see how it plays and looks. At least it will be way cheaper through bay area amusments than through the german distributor.

#53 10 years ago

I wish they made one for JM!!

#54 10 years ago

Do they make one for CFTBL that covers the entire creature window? I was thinking that might make that game play silky smooth, with no chance of the ball catching the edge of Creechy's window and changing direction.

Edit. Ohhhh.. They do make it for CFTBL with the cover going over the whole window. Hmmm... May have to try this.

#55 10 years ago

That's what I was thinking with T'eed Off, the center window with the roulette spinner would be smooth as glass

#56 10 years ago

@Luckydogg420, on the German pinball forum lots of people are complaining about more airballs than usual, did you notice anything like that?
Also, most have problems with really slow balls getting stuck somewhere. A nudge will do but sometimes the glass has to be taken off.

#57 10 years ago

I would really like to hear more about the air balls and balls getting stuck. I'm almost positive I want to try this out.

#58 10 years ago

I think playfield protection is great but is it a little extreme or is it just me.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I think playfield protection is great but is it a little extreme or is it just me.

Not much different than adding 10 layers of clear coat. Probably plays differently, but it will protect the playfield.

#60 10 years ago

Seems like a great option on non Clearcoated games to protect while keeping things original. Not sure that it's really needed on Clearcoated games.

#62 10 years ago

More airballs.... I'm playing on f-14 tomcat. There plenty of airballs, can't say there's less then before. I did have issues with the right center kicker. The ball would catch air leaving the trough. I fixed this easily with a spacer under the ball guide.

Also I have had a slow ball get stuck once. Again not really a problem with f14 it's not knowen as a slow game

Im going to read that German tread too

#63 10 years ago

I have installed the protectors on my TAF, AC/DC Premium, Fishtales, Terminator and (soon) Getaway.

Pros: The look is great, the protection is perfect and the amount of time needed for the installation is absolutely "fair" for the result you get - I am very satisfied.

Cons: The ball flow is a little different (it feels a little bit slower, but not in a bad way) and you definitely get more airballs. I can't say how often airballs occur compared to a normal playfield, but it is noticeable. I don't see this as a problem for me personally and I haven't damaged anything because of the airballs. Very slow balls get sometimes stuck, but very very rarely (ACDC never, TAF inlane rollback at the switch) - a simple nudge does the trick.

#64 10 years ago

This seems like a good idea but I would be worried that crud would go between the pf and the protector and cause more wear.

#65 10 years ago

OP: did you remove mylar? How much paint came up, touch ups needed?

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

This seems like a good idea but I would be worried that crud would go between the pf and the protector and cause more wear.

Most games the coil dust that gets caked on a playfield will protect it. So with that being said I don't see how a game could get damaged with a piece of plastic that doesn't move protecting it. If the playfield is completely cleaned before installation I think it will be fine. I think I may get one for The Shadow since I have it completely torn down right now and don't want to have someone clearcoat it.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

OP: did you remove mylar? How much paint came up, touch ups needed?

I did remove my Mylar. It was raised pretty bad with a couple inserts. I tried the freeze spray then goo gone. I didn't loose much paint. The most was on inserts, so I did get decals for the inserts.

1 week later
#69 10 years ago

I installed the protector on my TAF, as I had to install a new mansion decal and power magnet decal on the playfield. I also had installed all the TAF Cliffy protectors on the playfield. The playfield protector now lays on top of the playfield and also the Cliffy protectors are under it. Works very well - actually I have yet to come up a single bad thing to say about the protector. So far it has simply been perfect! I put an order in for a protector for my MM as well. If once's playfield has been clearcoated, there should be no need then for the protector IMHO.

#70 10 years ago

I did the same w/my Funhouse. I put down some new playfield stickers (including the full clock) and this protector covers it all and looks great.

I haven't experienced any air balls and only 1 ball got hung up so far but I was able to gently nudge it back into play.

Recommended!

#71 10 years ago

Ordered mine for my BOP today , cant wait to see the result ..

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I've got a fishtales that im going to strip down next month. Ill probably order one of these and see how it plays and looks. At least it will be way cheaper through bay area amusments than through the german distributor.

99 bucks from Bay Area. Should be here tomorrow or Wednesday!
Will post my thought when install on my FT

#73 10 years ago

Can't believe it, it just arrived right after I posted!! Too cool!!

Now, I have a question! How do you remove the metal lane dividers? I want to play it!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from CRNUCKS:

Can't believe it, it just arrived right after I posted!! Too cool!!
Now, I have a question! How do you remove the metal lane dividers? I want to play it!

I removed mine on T2 just by pulling up on them. Nothing holds them in it seems.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I removed mine on T2 just by pulling up on them. Nothing holds them in it seems.

yep, just pull them up.

#76 10 years ago

Thank-you worked excellent, didn't want to try and reck pf.
Reassembly back on track!!
Love this site!!!

#77 10 years ago

Ordered one for a FH today from BAA. Waiting for the decals to be in stock.

#78 10 years ago

I started an other post re FT playfield sliding around, but want to ask people that have installed one before hopefully a FT one. Does this fit and the fact that it slides around so much normal?
http://www.youtube.com/embed/rKxltTxTfi8?autoplay=1&rel=0

#79 10 years ago

OK, I want one for a WW, Cyclone, Taxi, ES ,and a RS.

#80 10 years ago

Yup , earthshaker , FT , BOP, BSD, and WW , those are the ones I want .

#81 10 years ago

And I want them stateside. None of that crazy Euro VAT BS.....

Chris

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

And I want them stateside. None of that crazy Euro VAT BS.....
Chris

They are at bay area amusements, which I believe is state side.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

They are at bay area amusements, which I believe is state side.

Some of them are. Just none that I need.....

#84 10 years ago

And when there's one available for T'eed off I will buy it too

image.jpgimage.jpg

#85 10 years ago

How are you planning to keep it from scratching? I have an Interflip Dragon with an acrylic PF. You really need to clean it and the ball more often than a screened pf. I'll probably use Novus or brilliance on my protector. Should arrive Friday from BAA.

#86 10 years ago

It looks like the price is creeping up. Now $119. Are there any PinSide discounts?

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

It looks like the price is creeping up. Now $119. Are there any PinSide discounts?

He he. I had the price jump on me, from $99 to $119, in the span of fifteen minutes while it was in my cart! I guess I coulda made a fuss, but no big deal as I decided I didn't really need that one anyway.

#88 10 years ago

Did my LOTR. For new owners/moders, it's not too onerous a job. Just take lots of photos before you start, and during the strip down. I ended up with few spacers, washers and screws that didn't seem to have a home any more, and had to play a few times to realise where they went.
The machine seems quieter when playing as the ball doen's "echo" off the wood. This will mean less wear as well. I agree, the sheet doen't move when everythings screwed back down.
I'm fitting one to my ACDC as well - should help protect the lower playfield window.

#89 10 years ago

No protector available for Firepower?? Jeez, what a letdown....it's not like they made 17,000 of them or anything....

#90 10 years ago

Just installed mine on my BOP , amazing mirror like finish , doesnt move at all , gameplay is fantastic and seem to be a little faster , i do recommend protector for sure

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from PlatinumPinMike:

Just installed mine on my BOP , amazing mirror like finish , doesnt move at all , gameplay is fantastic and seem to be a little faster , i do recommend protector for sure

That's great to hear, I've got a BOP one coming as well as a Centaur

#92 10 years ago

I asked them if they had any intentions of making protectors for Paragon and Space Invaders and was told that they're having problems with the production run because these play fields are 'tricky'.

#93 10 years ago

Interested to see how these protectors hold up over time: scratches, Nicks, divots, etc.
Does it slow down the ball?

#94 10 years ago

The ball is faster in my BoP , i like that

#95 10 years ago

Cant wait to see too how it hold up with scratch and cleanup ...

#96 10 years ago

Has anyone tried waxing one of these? Poly should wax well....just not sure if it would resolve the differences people noted in game play/ball motion after applying one.

#97 10 years ago

Haven't waxed mine yet .. but i think it should be well

#98 10 years ago

Ok, I did an error when installing my protector for MM.

As I looked at the protector on the playfield, the troll-holes looked to be to small for the troll-doors. Furthermore I remembered that the earlier owner told me that he had
bought some enhancement for the trolls.

Well, I then thought that the holed for the trolls were too small because of the "enhanced" i.e. bigger troll doors installed by the earlier owner... For this reason I cut the holes bigger with not that much of success - the cutout look quite terrible now. I also tried to iron out any cut-errors with sandpaper and it turned out that the sandpaper made the macrolon look cloudy there were I had used the sandpaper.

After making the holes bigger I realized that the intention of the manufacturer probably is that the troll-doors stay on top of the protector all the time and that's why only smaller holes are needed.

So, now I have the first complaint about the product: I do feel that in situations like this proper install instructions should follow the protector - while the solution probably self-evident to some people, for me it was not in this case.

I have emailed bestofpinball and asked, whether they would offer a replacement. I'll post a follow-up here. P1030002.JPGP1030002.JPG

#99 10 years ago

I thought I'd post a photo of the protector on my FT. Im happy with it so far. I thought this would be a good solution for protecting the tacklebox decal and it makes it look nice and shinny.

IMG_0383.jpgIMG_0383.jpg

#100 10 years ago

I saw it the other day on John's FT and I have to say it made the machine look fantastic. Now if he would only finish putting it back together.........

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 180.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 361 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-full-sheet-plastic/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.