P1090940 copy.jpg
P1090941 copy.jpg
DSC_5199 (Large).JPG
DSC_5210 (Large).JPG
DSC_5099 (Large).JPG
DSC_5214 (Large).JPG
DSC_5203 (Large).JPG
DSC_4905 (Large).JPG
There are 361 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 10 years ago

Has anyone else tried one of these? Are they any good? How about raised inserts?

http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/index.php/cPath/636

I ordered one for my F-14.

#2 10 years ago

Let me know how that works out.

I thought about buying the same thing for my Black Knight.

The part I'm concerned about...it's not adhesive back like a typical pre-cut playfield mylar.

I'm wondering how well it stays in place. Does tightening down posts cause it to deform? If it's adhered to the playfield, how long does it take for dirt to start collecting on the edges.

Keep us posted

#4 10 years ago

The review at pinball news seemed ok, the cost is less then clearcoat and the installation would not take long at all. My F-14 has a fairly complex playfield and I've had the top of the playfield off before. This should be a snap. I am also conserned about dust under the edges. I'm wondering if it has a static cling to the playfield, like an iPad screen protector.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/playfieldprotector/index.html

I have insert decals for my game, so I have a couple options. I could remove and clean up the inserts before this is installed.

#5 10 years ago

.75mm Makrolon (polycarbonate), which is effectively lexan. Great material, pretty thin. You could order a 2' x 4' sheet at mcmaster for $19:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-polycarbonate-sheets/=mfsec2

You're paying $137 for the laser cutting (and programming). If you don't mind drilling and cutting your own, you could save a lot of money

#6 10 years ago

Let me know how it works out also. There is another thread on this product a couple months back. basically no one knew, no one had tried it and any mail to the company did not yield results. I even tried to use the website 'contact us' and it had me do a web mail submit that I could never get past because of the 'enter this code' widget that was broken.

I have an F-14 with lifted insert (who doesn't) and wanted to strip the factory Mylar and relevel them but was not sure if I wanted to do the whole automotive clearcoat teardown on it.

I'm also concerned about grit getting under a 'floating' overlay grinding the crap out of my playfield.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

.75mm Makrolon (polycarbonate), which is effectively lexan. Great material, pretty thin. You could order a 2' x ' sheet at mcmaster for $19:
You're paying $137 for the laser cutting (and programming). If you don't mind drilling and cutting your own, you could save a lot of money

hmmm... that is intriguing...

how would you make it "stick"?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I have insert decals for my game, so I have a couple options. I could remove and clean up the inserts before this is installed.

I did the same thing to mine.

Quoted from Patofnaud:

I have an F-14 with lifted insert (who doesn't) and wanted to strip the factory Mylar and relevel them but was not sure if I wanted to do the whole automotive clearcoat teardown on it.

I ended up taking all of the small triangular inserts out of mine, 29 of them, sanded off the artwork, re-polished clear then installed the insert decals. It was a job I'll probably never do again.

Quoted from Patofnaud:

Let me know how it works out also. There is another thread on this product a couple months back. basically no one knew, no one had tried it and any mail to the company did not yield results.

That was probably my post.

#9 10 years ago

I just got my dhl tracking number from Germany. So it's on the way.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

.75mm Makrolon (polycarbonate), which is effectively lexan. Great material, pretty thin. You could order a 2' x ' sheet at mcmaster for $19:

No you're not, you are paying for programming and machining. You can't laser cut polycarbonate, it's CNC Routed (hence the swarf).
Why they didn't use PETG and laser cut it is beyond me.

#11 10 years ago

I think dirt and dust would get stuck under it. But let us know what the out come is.

#12 10 years ago

I would be interested in the results as well. Subscribed to the thread

Chris

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

No you're not, you are paying for programming and machining. You can't laser cut polycarbonate, it's CNC Routed (hence the swarf).

you CAN laser cut Polycarbonate.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

PETG, IMO, sucks...way too brittle, though not as brittle as acrylic.

Polycarbonate is the way to go.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

you CAN laser cut Polycarbonate.

only with a YAG not Co2.

#16 10 years ago

Well they reviewed it. It uses the playfield components to hold it down (no adhesive). I'd like to see what the playfield looks like underneath the plastic after a hundred hours of use:
http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/playfieldprotector/index.html

1 week later
#17 10 years ago

Just picked up the box from the post office. The protector was well packed, it was taped to a piece of cardboard, inside a large box stuffed with the local paper. I don't read German, so I just pitched the paper out. Most of the top of the playfield will need to be removed for installation, I hope to get to this on the weekend.

I'm also repairing the mpu board so it might be a couple days before I can play test it.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#18 10 years ago

Sweet@! I was just thinking if you had received this yet and how the install is going. Take lots of pics.

1 week later
#19 10 years ago

I did a little write up on Aussie Pinball - and thought I would drop it here as well.

INSTALL
1. Removed the ramps - guides - pop bumper caps.
2. Gave the playfield a quick wipe down
3. Put the protector with its protective covering on - in - to make sure it fits.
4. Removed the backings and placed it in.

THE FIT
The fit of this item was excellent. It does not move - is very stable. I installed everything back on and sat back in wonder. This item clearly protects the playfield - but it is hard to describe how great it makes the playfield look. I have been contemplating removing my addams playfield and shipping it off for a clear coat. I am now officially putting this on hold - as the protector gives the effect of nice clear coated playfield.

The lighting pops more - the ball runs far quieter, and I would put the speed slightly up on what it is before.

Time will be a good test to see whether it gathers ball trails - however it simply states use Novus to clean. I will attempt to post back in a couple of months or so with how heavy use affects the appearance - however for $150 odd dollars - one of the best things I have bought. If you were an operator - you would be made not to get this for all your machines - it will keep the playfield in smick condition.

If anyone has any specific questions - ask away.

Pinball_Protector_025.JPGPinball_Protector_025.JPG Pinball_Protector_039.JPGPinball_Protector_039.JPG Pinball_Protector_038.JPGPinball_Protector_038.JPG

#20 10 years ago

Neat! Thanks for the post AuS.

#21 10 years ago

As others have posted, my worry would be dirt getting underneath it and rubbing the paint off the playfield. Does that look like a valid worry in your opinion?

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Meatbundle:

As others have posted, my worry would be dirt getting underneath it and rubbing the paint off the playfield. Does that look like a valid worry in your opinion?

I am sure that dirt of PB dust will get under or accumulate at the edges (over time) - however it can't rub. The protector doesn't move. After applying mine - I cannot move it up down - sideways. I would consider it as a concern - but it would be one of my last on all the other things that can go wrong on a machine.

#23 10 years ago

Looks great! Does it require a large quantity of posts to secure it down?

#24 10 years ago

Just ordered a set for Tom as an alternative to clear coating

#25 10 years ago

That looks awesome. How much did shipping cost?

#26 10 years ago

For mine, to Canada shipping was under $50. For me €-$ conversion plus tax and duty was rit around $200 Canadian. Still cheaper then sending out my f14 to get clearcoated.

I plan to install mine this weekend. I will add pics when I do

#27 10 years ago

I am tempted. I already have my playfield torn down to nothing. Was thinking of trying to do a cheap clear on it, but may go this path. Seems safer...

#28 10 years ago

Do it, Jeremy! And call me when you're ready to install. I'd love to see this go on in person...

Later,
EV

#29 10 years ago

These look awesome BUT I wonder how much heat they trap when people are using incandescent's.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

.75mm Makrolon (polycarbonate), which is effectively lexan. Great material, pretty thin. You could order a 2' x 4' sheet at mcmaster for $19:

I think you would be wasting $19 and a whole lot of time. The chances of someone making this without CNC correctly would be fairly slim at best.

#31 10 years ago

I am curious as to how the game will play with these on. Lots of people complain that games play different with mylar, I would assume this would have issues as well?

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

These look awesome BUT I wonder how much heat they trap when people are using incandescent's.

Do pinsiders use incandescents?

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Do pinsiders use incandescents?

knee slapping funny. lol do pinsiders actually clean games HEY OOHHHHHHHHH brighter lights shine threw dirt better.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Do it, Jeremy! And call me when you're ready to install. I'd love to see this go on in person...
Later,
EV

I am considering it for WH2O. You should get one for JM. We could save on shipping.

P.S. How is my blackbird coming along?

#35 10 years ago

Before and after. Quick cell phone pics

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#36 10 years ago

Here's a couple more pics, the gloss on this stuff is pretty awesome. It also plays well. Its different then Mylar and better then nothing. I'm happy with first impressions.

#37 10 years ago

Here's a couple more pics, the gloss on this stuff is pretty awesome. It also plays well. Its different then Mylar and better then nothing. I'm happy with first impressions.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#38 10 years ago

Looks awesome! How is the fit? Let us know how it hold up after playing for a bunch of games.

Thanks!

#39 10 years ago

Here's the story so far... Haven't played many games yet, but its nice

http://www.pinballrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=945

#40 10 years ago

I'd be interested to read an update in a few months to know how it has weathered, etc. This might be a good solution for some of my pins. Thanks for posting.

#41 10 years ago

I'm really enjoying this, it plays great. There's no more edges from raised inserts. The ball rolls true. This might seem weird, but it seems to me like the ball has more traction. I don't know though, it could just be that the ball is rolling in a straight line.

#42 10 years ago

I have a really nice DH I'm thinking about getting one of these for.

1 week later
#43 10 years ago

The more I play the game the more I like this product. It truly is awesome. Well worth the money

#44 10 years ago

This is a great idea & looks fantastic - add me to the list of "tell us how it holds up".

#45 10 years ago

Hoping Bay Area amusements gets WH2O playfield protectors as I want to buy a set for mine. The makers said they might be available from BA around the end of June.

2 weeks later
#46 10 years ago

I have restored my TAF playfield by installing the power magnet and mansion decals and by applying the cliffy protectors and waxing the entire playfield after that. The power magnet protector was ok, but I think the mansion decal would need some protection - also the areas, where the two decals meet should be protected as atleast some places the decals go a bit on top of each other due to the fact that the mansion decal was originally 2 mm:s too wide.

* Would it be ok to install this protector after I have done the aforesaid or should for example the wax be removed first?

* How do they go together with cliffy protectors installed?

* Apparently cliffys should also be removed?

* I wonder how would it go, since sometimes they have double-sided tape in them to hold the protector in place?

Any info to my multiple questions would be highly appreciated!

#47 10 years ago

This protector is one piece of plastic that lays completely flay on the playfield, no tape or glue involved, just gravity.

I don't think that you would have to remove the wax, it would help absorb any movement in the protector.

As for cliffy's, I don't know, don't have them on f-14, I'd assume they'd be installed before the playfield protector.

I like this product, and would like to hear what others think of it too.

#48 10 years ago

Hey Luckydogg420 , i am thinking about installing one of those protector on my BOP , how is the gloss finish on that ? And you recommend the product , i know its a bit expensive but if its Worth it i will install one , how is the cleaning process with that protector ?

#50 10 years ago

Do you have to remove any existing mylar before putting this down?...or does it go over everything?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,159.00
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 361 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-full-sheet-plastic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.