You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tafprot1.jpg
tafprot2.jpg
tafprot3.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Overall holding up ok though the tops of the mansion inserts seem to be getting 'sanded' away a bit. The mansion area was perfect before setting out on route. Think if I had it to do over again I would just mylar the mansion area before putting this on.

tafprot1.jpgtafprot1.jpg tafprot2.jpgtafprot2.jpg tafprot3.jpgtafprot3.jpg
#2 9 years ago

What exactly is the product that you put on?

#3 9 years ago

WOW, your making GREAT money on that game.

#5 9 years ago

Is it getting ball trails (that won't buff out) on the inlanes or orbits? Not a fan of those protectors, but the mansion area of TAF might be the ultimate test for one. Those mansion inserts are all over the damn place.

#6 9 years ago

Interesting and thank you for posting. The issues are, I'm guessing, due to the edges of the inserts that you can feel are uneven on some machines.

With that many games though, I wonder what this issue would have looked like without it, as balls rolling over it usually wear away slowly at these issues.

I doubt you have tried to take it up, and a partial section. I have wondered since these have come out, if they would cause any lifting issues on inserts, and if they would possible get stuck to the clear when trying to lift/remove.

If you ever do take it up, given the plays on it, please post back.

#7 9 years ago

Is it still shiny or does it get dull and hazy like mylar?

My biggest complaint is that it can't be polished.

#8 9 years ago

I have these protectors on about 8 of my games. Unlike Mylar, it really makes the game look like it has a new clear coated playfield. It takes 90-120 min to install one. If it hazes up after 15000 plays, unlike Mylar, you can remove it in about 10 minutes with a pair of scissors or install another in 90-120 min again. These things go in all my games that don't have new after market playfields. In the home, you keep it waxed just like a clear coated playfield.

As far as sticking to the inserts, the thing is entirely free floating. It won't stick to anything even after thousands of plays.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I have these protectors on about 8 of my games. Unlike Mylar, it really makes the game look like it has a new clear coated playfield. It takes 90-120 min to install one. If it hazes up after 15000 plays, unlike Mylar, you can remove it in about 10 minutes with a pair of scissors or install another in 90-120 min again. These things go in all my games that don't have new after market playfields. In the home, you keep it waxed just like a clear coated playfield.

How often have you had to wax them?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

As far as sticking to the inserts, the thing is entirely free floating. It won't stick to anything even after thousands of plays.

He didn't say it stuck to the inserts. It being free floating is pretty much what caused the wear. Which is why he used the term 'sanded'. The edges of the inserts raised slightly and the moving protector scraped the raised edges.

Those protectors are made of polycarbonate. If you must use wax on them, it should be cleaned with a plastic cleaner first. After cleaning, if you still must use wax, best to use one designed for plastics. Car wax isn't designed for plastics.

#11 9 years ago

It actually looks pretty good when cleaned with novus 1. Much better than the trashed mylar that was on the PF. I need to pull it off to clean all the rubber dust and dirt building up underneath.

6 months later
#12 9 years ago

Is this game still on route? How's it holding up?

I got to think the wear would have been much worse without the playfield protector. It almost looks like the inserts sank a little, not raised, but it's hard to tell from a picture.

#13 9 years ago

Inlanes and scoop can see heavy wear on this title also. Anything done to protect magnet burn?

1 year later
#14 8 years ago

Hi,
I don't really understand how the pf protector is matching perfectly the pf without air bubble and without sliding in the time.
Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms
Other
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
Protection
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-after-15k-games-of-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.