Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Chosen_S
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hi all, I need a little nudge in the right direction please...

I’m wanting to restore a playfield; direct print art onto a playfield, I don’t want to do silk screen, or an overlay or hardtop style of restoration.

I have been searching and reaching out to print professionals, even some in the pinball world, some have responded, some have not.

I know there’s a possibility of using a UV inkjet flatbed printer that should give good results, hopefully the local fastsigns may be able to do the job... one company tells me their flatbed printer cannot have the print heads glide over empty space (like routed holes on a pinball playfield); they say the ink will dry in the heads and ruin them.

My questions are, are there printers to stay away from specifically?

Are there special settings or instructions that need to be used when using a flatbed printer to print on to a playfield ?

Is there a better alternative?

Thank you for any help provided

#2 2 years ago

I think you will struggle to find anyone interested in 're-doing' an old playfield.

Actually, I think you will struggle to find anyone who will do only one print onto NEW material.

I would reconsider using an overlay or hardtop print - silk screen for one print is out of the question on price alone.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

I think you will struggle to find anyone interested in 're-doing' an old playfield.
    Actually, I think you will struggle to find anyone who will do only one print onto NEW material.
    I would reconsider using an overlay or hardtop print - silk screen for one print is out of the question on price alone.

Thank you for the insight

I have the vector art files, I have the playfield CNC’D already and inserts installed, just need someone to print the art on, I will clear coat afterward

I know this is a difficult to answer set of questions and difficult to find the right company/printer/ Information

#4 2 years ago

Keep asking- some one can do this

Just google, there are places that do this- IV flatbed print to wood.

#5 2 years ago

if it has inserts should not be a problem, but they would need to print to a location on the flatbed and do a test print, then sit the playfield over the test print as alignment will be a problem on a one off playfield

#6 2 years ago

reach out to Stu at CPR, they do custom playfields all the time
    [email protected]
    https://classicplayfields.com/the-custom-shop/

#8 2 years ago

I think you just learned why some manufacturers cut the open holes in the playfield between the ink application and clear coat phase.

#9 2 years ago

Ink will spray from the open hole into the heads above the playfield? That company was bs'ing you and just didn't wanna deal with some ink on their printers belt/flatbed area. How exactly is it gonna print from below? Keep looking there's plenty of flatbed printers who would jump at the opportunity to make a quick buck. This should be pretty straightforward.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Paging greatwichjohn

John sold that business, he is not doing playfields anymore.....

#11 2 years ago

I have started doing this (again)
    What do you need to know?

Fantastic Pinball Inc.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cherries_Jubilee:

John sold that business, he is not doing playfields anymore.....

I know, but he has a lot of experience doing this…

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from FantasticPinball:

I have started doing this (again)
    What do you need to know?
    Fantastic Pinball Inc.

One company tells me they can’t print white, what do I do about that? , do I create a white layer they print first then print over that?

Order of operations theory is needed at the moment...

(Route entire playfield, install inserts, sand, print, cc)

Or

(Route Insert holes, install inserts, sand, print, route all other holes, cc)

??

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-printing-info-help-needed?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.