IMG_2625 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0618 (resized).jpg
IMG_0619 (resized).jpg
pic1 (resized).jpg
pic2 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Where do you get post screws for a Williams Suspense? Stripped the playfield for cleaning and now the last post won't tighten in the hole. I've tried filing in the hole with glue and toothpicks but the screw doesn't get enough grip to support the tension of the rubber. Maybe one of the other many post screws I've already installed was longer than the 1 1/2" I have left for this last post but I'd rather not go back and take them out to look. I don't find them on any parts website and I haven't been to Home Depot yet. I've read to try a #8 x 1 3/4" wood screw but I'd like for the head of the screw to match since it will be visible. Any suggestions?

pic1 (resized).jpgpic1 (resized).jpgpic2 (resized).jpgpic2 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

I can't believe the toothpicks don't work, did you try breaking off about 1/4" of the tip and throwing it away and use the fatter part, put as many toothpicks in as you can.

#3 3 years ago

Yes I've tried the fatter part of the toothpick. There's three holes within about a 1/2" area for options of moving the post for how you want the game to play. The holes are about 1/16" deep but the wood around the around area is pretty wallowed out. The problem seems to be that the screw only has 1/8" to go into the playfield and doesn't get enough grip to support the tension of the rubber that is stretched around four posts. I thought I'd try a longer screw {1 3/4"} to see if it helps.

#4 3 years ago

That is a truss head screw available at ace hardware.I suspect you put the screw you need in another hole.

#5 3 years ago

I've tried using the other holes. The three holes are so close that the wallowed out area makes them look like one hole. The problem is this screw normally only has about three threads going into the wood but with the worn area its now only one or two. I suspect a longer screw was used on this post before I removed it but I must have already used it installing all the other posts. The rubber is pretty tight around these particular four posts and the screw can't hold it. This post is longer than the other three because it supports the plastic. I'm going for a longer screw and filling the hole{s} with toothpicks or wood filler.

#6 3 years ago

Some toothpicks can be pretty soft. I like to use bamboo skewers instead. The grain runs the length of the skewer and tends to give the screw threads something a little stronger to bite into.

Clean all the loose wood out of the hole. Cut a skewer to length, then cut it lengthwise into narrower pieces. Wet each piece of skewer with wood glue and put it into the hole, filling it up most but not all of the way. Leave a much smaller hole in the middle of the original hole. Then drive the screw through a post and into the hole and leave it there overnight while the glue dries. Only once the glue has hardened should you put the pressure of a ring on the post. The combination of harder skewer wood and hardened wood glue clamps down pretty well on the screw if you don't move it.

Patching the other holes and using a longer screw wouldn't hurt either. Drilling all the way through the playfield and using a T nut and machine screw instead of a wood screw is another option.

/Mark

#7 3 years ago

That red post your showing in the above photo is a tall post. As a rule, the short post on games took either an # 6 x 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 screw. The 1 5/8 is no longer available. As for the tall post, they were usually 1 3/4 and have also recently been discontinued by manufactures. Your might find some old stock at your local mom and pop hardware store or somewhere in line.

#8 3 years ago

You may not be letting the glue dry long enough. The toothpick just adds some mass to the fix, but you need the glue to set firmly before you put the screw back in.

#9 3 years ago

If you want a #6 1 1/2 inch Phillips head screw Pinball Resource has them.

Part number: HDW-WH-6X1.5

#10 3 years ago

Similar topic, but different problem.

Stripped this one and I have 2 screws broken off. One a little nub left, but the other broken off in the hole.

What's the trick here to get these out to put new ones in?

IMG_0618 (resized).jpgIMG_0618 (resized).jpgIMG_0619 (resized).jpgIMG_0619 (resized).jpg
#11 3 years ago

Small vice-grips and go slow. If I were doing this, I would get some cardboard (cereal box thickness) and punch a hole in the cardboard so the screw nub sticks through. Then your vice grip is not likely to scratch your playfield.

#12 3 years ago

Re the original question about fixing stripped wood screw holes in the playfield. I wasn't picky about the screw head appearance so I substituted machine screws and T nuts.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#13 3 years ago

Somewhat related is to try and use the original hardware as much as possible. I have found in the last few playfield swaps I have done the Chinese fasteners are very soft and very prone to breaking off as you insert them into the new playfield. Its tempting to use all new shiny hardware but its not worth the risk when they break and you have to dig into your new playfield.

#14 3 years ago

I just had 7 broken screws in a 1965 playfield. My solution was to drill on all four sides of the screw with a small bit, then with a punch knock the broken screw out. The hole left is large, obviously, but still smaller than the base of the post. I then filled the hole with a two part expoxy putty. It comes in small round pieces, like a tootsie roll, and you can slice off what you need. You knead it together, as part two is in the middle, until it's ready, then force it into the hole. Once hard it's sandable and paintable. I used the post a guide to drill a perfectly placed pilot hole in the centre, then it was ready to go.

#15 3 years ago

The toothpick and glue trick has always worked for me

#16 3 years ago

Thanks everyone. Flipit was right about the taller post. There's about a dozen of these posts (out of the 30 or so) that the plastics attach to so I don't see how I could go to shorter posts. Apparently somewhere on the playfield in one of the other tall posts there's a 1 3/4" screw that used to be on this post. I thought it would be simple to buy another one instead of taking each one out while searching for the elusive taller screw. After hearing they're discontinued I guess I'll start taking them out one by one hoping to find it.

The holes are not really deep enough for the toothpick trick so I'll likely fill them with wood putty.

IMG_2625 (resized).jpgIMG_2625 (resized).jpg
#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

I have 2 screws broken off. One a little nub left, but the other broken off in the hole.
What's the trick here to get these out to put new ones in?

If the nub is tall enough try the vise grip approach. If there isn't enough nub, you can try cutting a screwdriver slot on the end of the nub with a dremel and diamond disc/wheel. These discs are available at Harbor Freight and they are razor thin. After you cut the slot you can use a small screwdriver. Another approach I've used is drilling the end of the nub with a small left handed drill bit. Left handed bits work great for removing broken screws. Sometimes you just touch the broken screw with the spinning bit and the screw quickly backs out.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.27.18 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.27.18 AM (resized).png
#18 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

If the nub is tall enough try the vise grip approach. If there isn't enough nub, you can try cutting a screwdriver slot on the end of the nub with a dremel and diamond disc/wheel. These discs are available at Harbor Freight and they are razor thin. After you cut the slot you can use a small screwdriver. Another approach I've used is drilling the end of the nub with a small left handed drill bit. Left handed bits work great for removing broken screws. Sometimes you just touch the broken screw with the spinning bit and the screw quickly backs out.[quoted image]

Still helping me out from the left coast! Thanks jethroP! Good to see you again!

I’ll try these tips. Gotta help!

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from ekm92:

The holes are not really deep enough for the toothpick trick so I'll likely fill them with wood putty.

I would drill that whole mess out and put a wood plug in, or at least get them deep enough to be able to get solid wood in there.

#20 3 years ago

Got the “nub” out ! But the one broken off into the playfield will need some work. Ugh!

I think I can just drill and attach it just above the original hole. It’s a stand alone post

(And sorry to Hi-jack this thread. Same item - different problem. )

061F2BF3-1EB3-4DA7-8E4B-D34F8DAE9CB2 (resized).jpeg061F2BF3-1EB3-4DA7-8E4B-D34F8DAE9CB2 (resized).jpeg
#21 3 years ago

Solution : #6 two inch sheet metal screw with a finish washer. Looks pretty close to me. About 1/16 of the screw came thru the bottom of the playfield but it was in a blank spot and I know the post won't move. Done.

IMG_2634 (resized).jpgIMG_2634 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-post-screws?hl=elmerstinkkeman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.