Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by BubbaK
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I've got a Buccaneer that the playfield inserts are all loose and cupped. I want to pull them out, fill with Automotive clear and sand level. I remember reading about it a few months ago but I can't seem to find anything now... How do I prep the plastic for the clear coat? I guess clean with Iso and lightly sand? I don't want to mess up the existing paint. Wasn't sure if the alcohol would make the plastic more brittle.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks.. I did look through that.. My inserts for the most part are already loose.. I'm not doing a full playfield resto... I don't want to sand the inserts I have flat as it will damage the paint and the numbers. I want to build it up with automotive clear coat and sand that flat and polish. The solid yellow plastics I can just sand flat, but all the numbered ones I want to preserve.

1 week later
#4 3 years ago

OK.. So I popped one of the inserts out and have been playing with the automotive clear coat trying to level it. Its not as easy as I thought. I was trying not to damage the original paint, so I built up a few layers of clear and sanded it. Didn't take out the dish and started hitting the edge paint. Its taken 4 attempts so far to get what I wanted. I thinking sanding it flat and doing waterslide decals for the numbers may be faster. What font was used on Gottliebs EM machines? Are there templates or anything available?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Lighting
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-plastic-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.