Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by bigguybbr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1258 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1254 (resized).JPG
    Select Wheel (resized).jpg
    FFC5E8A2-DD08-4825-A605-0A04E877DFE3 (resized).jpeg
    image2-7 (resized).jpeg
    image1-8 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Hello , is there somebody who has plastics or know were to find plastics for the Williams Big Chief. I special looking for the selector disk.
    On the foto you see the bended disk.
    what can I do to make it flat or repair it, but best is a replacement
    image1-8 (resized).jpegimage1-8 (resized).jpegimage2-7 (resized).jpegimage2-7 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

Put it on something flat and then put a sheet of playfield glass over it in the sun for a couple hours. Should flatten it right out.

#3 3 years ago

Instead of relying on the weather (we have a lot of overcast days here), I put warped plastics between two Pyrex cake pans in the oven at 170 degrees (which is as low as my oven goes), and check it every 5 or 10 minutes until they’ve flattened out.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Instead of relying on the weather (we have a lot of overcast days here), I put warped plastics between two Pyrex cake pans in the oven at 170 degrees (which is as low as my oven goes), and check it every 5 or 10 minutes until they’ve flattened out.

Wow, is the 170 degrees is Fahrenheit or Celsius ( we use Celsius in Eu) so that looks me a bit high

#5 3 years ago

Read this thread. I did this and my results are posted in response #29. Don't rely on the sun.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-safely-flatten-warped-playfield-plastic#post-4717547

#6 3 years ago

I'm sure the 170 was relative to the Farenheit scale.
    I've used this method and increased the oven temp as high as 215-220 F for one very stubborn plastic, but only left in the oven for less than 5 min and checked it frequently. 170-200F is typically a safe range as long as you don't lose track and leave in too long.

4 months later
    #7 3 years ago

I have the same issue with my Big Chief cab. The Mylar on the back is pulling up too. Wonder if there is a way to fab a new one since the wheel is key to game play

#8 3 years ago

I made one back in the day from the CD/DVD sized clear plastic found inside a new stack of CDs/DVDs.

FFC5E8A2-DD08-4825-A605-0A04E877DFE3 (resized).jpegFFC5E8A2-DD08-4825-A605-0A04E877DFE3 (resized).jpeg
    #9 3 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

I made one back in the day from the CD/DVD sized clear plastic found inside a new stack of CDs/DVDs.[quoted image]

I'm working on making my own now. I found a 4" plexi circle on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071D6QBZP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s04) and some laser printable water transfer decals.

tktlwyr You wouldn't happen to still have that graphic for the wheel, would you?

#11 3 years ago

In the event anyone else with a Big Chief *snicker* runs into this issue, here is the solution that worked for me.
    1) Purchase a premade 4" diameter 1/8" thick plexiglass disc (here is one from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071D6QBZP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s04) It's slightly smaller than the original, but it still fills the space below the surrounding plastic completely. It's also slightly thicker so if you decide to use incadescent bulbs rather than cooler LEDs, it hopefully won't warp again.
    2) Purchase laser printable water transfer paper with the opaque white background (again, amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WVWB4M5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s04)
    3) If you still have your original selector wheel, use it as a template to mark and drill holes in the new piece of Plexi
    4) Once the holes are drilled peel the top protective layer off the plexi disk. Using the image attached below, make a 4" X 4" print onto the water transfer paper (I made a scan of my old wheel and cleaned it up as best I could while keeping the original look. You may want to lighten the colors, but it matches my machine well)
    5) Use and exacto knife to cut out the small hole and larger hole from the water transfer paper. This will make it easier to line up. If your decal doesn't line up correctly, it will display the wrong wheel section in the game.
    6) Follow the instructions for your water transfer paper. For mine, it needed to soak for 30-60 seconds before transferring.Slide it onto your disc lining up with the holes, and use a damp towel to gently work all the water out from under the transfer and smooth wrinkles. Let dry for 3 hours.
    7) Once it is dry, give it a spray with some clear gloss spray paint.

Select Wheel (resized).jpgSelect Wheel (resized).jpgIMG_1258 (resized).JPGIMG_1258 (resized).JPGIMG_1254 (resized).JPGIMG_1254 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-plastic-for-big-chief?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.