Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

hi there,

I have 3 1/2 degrees, a buddy says 5 what is your opinion?

#2 6 years ago

It's purely subjective. If you want the game a bit more floaty, 3.5 will do it. If you want it faster, then 5 will do that. All depends on how you want the game to play.

I recently jacked up the rear of my Sky Jump and it totally changes how the game plays. Much harder now to trap with the flippers. The game is way faster, which installing a new Wade Krause playfield also had something to do with it.

#3 6 years ago

This has been debated and discussed a few times here. The consensus was: Do whatever you like. There's really no wrong answer.

Gottlieb recommended 3 1/2 degrees on their EMs, but for a lot of us, it feels too "floaty," therefore many crank up the slope.

Personally, I like my games to be fast and tough, so I often have steeper angles across all my games.

#4 6 years ago

I think it depends on the game too. Some games may play better with steeper playfield and some may play better with a shallower pitch. Try different degrees and see how you like the gameplay.

#5 6 years ago

one thing he brought up in the discussion was that with new rubber on mine the game is more bouncy
    I think he is right on that, but in my opinion 5 degrees makes his one a drain and sdtm game.
    I will try tonight to bring it up to 4 degrees, like you said personel prefference

Does annyone know what a 1969 bally Hoo was ment to have from factory?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

I think it depends on the game too. Some games may play better with steeper playfield and some may play better with a shallower pitch. Try different degrees and see how you like the gameplay.

Totally agree; I crank up angles on my mid-seventies WMS games (Gulfstream, Super Star, Dealer’s Choice) to about 7 degrees. Woodies stay at about 3.5.

#7 6 years ago

Every time I play those 3.5º floaty games at a show I say to myself this is why some people don't like EMs.

A jukebox friend of mine has a bunch of pinballs. He just got his Xenon running and told me to try it. It was set up floaty too. I could have played all day. The ball hardly got any momentum and had trouble rolling over the outlane switch. He said you got the highest score. Yeah, no kidding.

On the other hand I am not one of those guys that puts a board under the back levelers either. A few degrees can really make a game much more fun though. You just have to be careful that it doesn't suddenly become brutal. A little adjustment can also make all the difference in outline drains and SDTM sucker shots. You just have to play around with it.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Totally agree; I crank up angles on my mid-seventies WMS games (Gulfstream, Super Star, Dealer’s Choice) to about 7 degrees. Woodies stay at about 3.5.

What about 2" flipper wedgeheads and the like?

#9 6 years ago

Plus are they all original or orange coils, high tapped etc...

#10 6 years ago

My woodrails are around 4.4 degrees - just right for me.

3.5 would be soooooooo slow.

#11 6 years ago

Steep enough that the ball return to the flippers is not too fast and not too slow.

Momma bear's bed.

#12 6 years ago

i got to about 4,8 in steps i think i like it like this, less floaty and a bit faster. 4 to 4,8 is real nice but more then 5 makes for realy short games, and the inpact makes my new rubbers realy bouncing.

#13 6 years ago

it honestly does reflect upon personal preference . on location i try to find a happy medium for mine.

#14 6 years ago

3" levelers on the back almost maxed out, and front levelers bottomed with no nuts.

I have no idea what the pitch is, but since most of them are two inch flippered Williams games, flipper power and being able to get the ball back to the top is not a problem.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-pitch-degrees-on-your-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.