(Topic ID: 188029)

Playfield overlay with raised inserts?

By harryhoudini

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Looking to redo a playfield with an entire overlay. It's a high speed, FYI.

Some of the center translucent bits are being pushed up through the playfield. When I sand it down they would definitely be hit. I am not sure how thick they are, why they are raised up and if they can be pushed back down. Can I sand them down? Can they be pushed back down or are they glued in? Can I sand them down (maybe 1/32 of an inch)

#2 6 years ago

I have a High Speed that I am working on with the same thing now.
The inserts sometimes get hot and get disformed from #44 or even #47 lamps. Sometimes you can push them back down but they probably won't stay there. They are glued in originally, but the glue often fails with time. If you can push them up out of the playfield, you can re glue them, they are about a 1/16" thick in the center. I have taken them out and heated them with a heat gun, and while still warm pushed them on a hard flat surface face down to get some of the cupping out. Then I rub them face down on sandpaper to get them flat and back in plane. I then glue them back in flush with the playfield. Then sand the entire playfield again to get them exact. Clear coat with a spray bomb to get a good surface for the overlay to stick to.
The process can be alot of work, but what in this hobby isn't?

#3 6 years ago

The reason why those inserts pop up is Williams made the holes where the inserts go too small/tight. Over time, the wood squeezes the inserts up. Best to remove the inserts and take a dremmel with a sanding attachment and hone out the openings slightly then re-glue them back in. If inserts are cupped as well, can wet sand the surface of them flat then glue back in.

Hope that helps!

Dave (Doc)

www.pinballdoctor.com

Quoted from johnvorwerk:

I have a High Speed that I am working on with the same thing now.

The inserts sometimes get hot and get disformed from #44 or even #47 lamps. Sometimes you can push them back down but they probably won't stay there. They are glued in originally, but the glue often fails with time. If you can push them up out of the playfield, you can re glue them, they are about a 1/16" thick in the center. I have taken them out and heated them with a heat gun, and while still warm pushed them on a hard flat surface face down to get some of the cupping out. Then I rub them face down on sandpaper to get them flat and back in plane. I then glue them back in flush with the playfield. Then sand the entire playfield again to get them exact. Clear coat with a spray bomb to get a good surface for the overlay to stick to.
The process can be alot of work, but what in this hobby isn't?

#4 6 years ago

Thanks to you both! Now I know what to do.

#5 6 years ago

It's easy to push them back down permanently:

Warm the insert, top and bottom, with hair dryer

Press flush with 12" C-clamp until cool.

Epoxy from the rear to keep it from popping up again

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration#post-551406

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-overlay-with-raised-inserts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.