2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Chosen_S
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hi all, I need a little nudge in the right direction please...

I’m wanting to print an overlay. I need some help knowing what material to use, I know it Has to be gloss clear and has to have an adhesive backing...

I’m going to automotive clear coat over the overlay.

What do I use?

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

I’m going to automotive clear coat over the overlay.

Huh? I don't think so. But I'm not an expert. Let the others guide you.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

I’m wanting to print an overlay.

Oh wait. I misunderstood. Scratch that. Reverse that. Just ignore me. Sorry.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Catch86:

Oh wait. I misunderstood. Scratch that. Reverse that. Just ignore me. Sorry.

Hey, thanks for the bump

I have clear coated over an overlay before, I just don’t know what material the overlay was

1 month later
    #5 2 years ago

The automotive clearcoat is a ceramic clearcoat that is placed over automotive paint. There is a thread on this site where a guy showed a overlay restoration. But it's a bit tricky. However, what I would do is take the playfield to an autobody shop and ask for the ceramic clearcoat. Other than that, you can buy the material yourself which will be a hundred bucks. I'm also not sure what the clearcoat product will do to the colors of the overlay. One other option is to mill a playfield and take the overlay to a screening shop and get a playfield screened professionally and then take it to an autobody shop for clear coating.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Blake:

The automotive clearcoat is a ceramic clearcoat that is placed over automotive paint. There is a thread on this site where a guy showed a overlay restoration. But it's a bit tricky. However, what I would do is take the playfield to an autobody shop and ask for the ceramic clearcoat. Other than that, you can buy the material yourself which will be a hundred bucks. I'm also not sure what the clearcoat product will do to the colors of the overlay. One other option is to mill a playfield and take the overlay to a screening shop and get a playfield screened professionally and then take it to an autobody shop for clear coating.

Thank you, the process is challenging for sure.

I can clear coat, I have the equipment, and experience.

I will start working with a local printer, we will see, I’m sure there will be plenty of trial and error

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-overlay-material- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.