5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

So I have a playfield overlay being printed. It's for a playfield that has no repro playfield or hardtop being made.

I have the playfield sanded down. But I had an idea. I have been making my own Playfield Protectors with .020 PETG plastic.
    So my idea is to take the .020 PETG and cut it to the exact size of the playfield overlay area. Cut out all the proper holes, the same as the overlay. Then apply the overlay to the .020 plastic. All

Then I will put it on the playfield and re-attach all the hardware. Finally I will use another piece of .020 PETG and make a protector.

Seems to me this is advantageous for a few reasons.

1: No chance of the overlay bubbling and less chance of it not adhering properly.
    2: Can use wet method and apply the overlay easily and perfectly to the plastic.
    3: No need for the wood to be absolutely perfect before applying overlay.
    4: No need to clearcoat the overlay.

And yes I would be using to .020 pieces of plastic, but the hardtop overlays are .030 so I'm only ending up slightly thicker than they are.

Ideas? And please none of the "Get a repro playfield", or "don't use an overlay". This was my only option on a totally trashed playfield. I'm trying to save the game for a friend and trying to do it the best way possible for what is available.

#2 5 years ago

Only problems I see would be the thickness.
    I put a overlay and then a PProctor on my Zenon and found that the pop bumpers now sit kind low.
    Also I would be concerned about any post that would have to go thru both, it doesn't take much expansion
    for the petg to expand and it will pop up in places you don't want it to.

Just interested, what game?

#3 5 years ago

thickness would be my concern as well

#4 5 years ago

I have playfield protectors in quite a few games and thickness has not been an issue. But yes with 2 there would be more of a chance of an issue.

The game is Freddy, Nightmare on Elm Street.

#5 5 years ago

If you have a local Signs!Now sign store, they can print your artwork directly on plastic for $8 a square foot.

Make sure you spec "second surface printing" so they know to print the art on the backside of the plastic.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-overlay-idea-would-it-work?hl=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.