• Latest reply 7 years ago by patrickvc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

File Dec 16, 7 14 33 PM (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I have an Elvira and the Party Monsters that, aside from a worn playfield, looks great due to the previous owner already restoring the cabinet.

Most of the playfield is still covered with Mylar, and it appears to still be at least in decent shape. The problems areas are where Mylar didn't cover. As you can see in the picture, the main problem area is the "BAT" and pop bumper area. The other area is the outlanes and a couple of the inserts for the outlanes.

I see that CPR has repo playfields in que for EATPM. I have a BoP with one of their playfields installed and I'm completely satisfied with their work. But before I put myself on the waiting list for one there I figured I'd ask if anyone knows of any other options on getting at least a fully restored playfield that I could swap in?

Yea, I could remove the mylar on this one and clear it myself. But I don't know what troubles I could run into during the Mylar removal and I'd have to deal with mis-matched color area's along where the exposed areas of the playfield was next to the Mylared area's.

For the time being, I'll probably just touch up the area's that have completely worn the graphics off and then put it back together and play it for awhile. Especially if I reserve a CPR playfield and have to wait several months or longer....

#2 7 years ago

I guess the picture didn't attach...

File Dec 16, 7 14 33 PM (resized).jpegFile Dec 16, 7 14 33 PM (resized).jpeg

#3 7 years ago

If you are in a hurry .....Don't hold your breath waiting for one. I went on the wait list when it was first announced. Back when CPR said if you sign up and don't pay then you could be excluded from purchasing any other playfields. Although they said that if they didn't produce they wouldn't hold anyone to their order when it got done. Well time came and went 4 years ago almost. They updated their terms and relisted the Elvira. Had to sign up again. Now still waiting. CPR need to get it together. Also just worked on a Cyclone Gold. Every dimple was a 16th off. Cpr .. If your going to list something lets get it done before 4year later.
magicchiz

I hope I don't have to wait until Elvira 3 comes out to get this playfield for mine.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

If you are in a hurry .....Don't hold your breath waiting for one. I went on the wait list when it was first announced. Back when CPR said if you sign up and don't pay then you could be excluded from purchasing any other playfields. Although they said that if they didn't produce they wouldn't hold anyone to their order when it got done. Well time came and went 4 years ago almost. They updated their terms and relisted the Elvira. Had to sign up again. Now still waiting. CPR need to get it together. Also just worked on a Cyclone Gold. Every dimple was a 16th off. Cpr .. If your going to list something lets get it done before 4year later.
magicchiz
I hope I don't have to wait until Elvira 3 comes out to get this playfield for mine.

That was pretty much the impression I was getting from CPR as I was reading on their website. The last update they posted there was back in August and I've been watching to see if anything changed status on their preorder page.

I also looked at HSA Pinball and their playfield restorations. Then I saw where they pretty much won't touch any Williams/Bally playfield from 1985 to 1990 because of adhesive issues with the old lacquer paint.

Unless another option becomes available, I'm now leaning towards removing the old Mylar and then just doing some touch-up work and then recovering it with new Mylar. The current Mylar isn't too bad, but it does have a small hole in one spot and there are a couple of places where it has bubbled up and dirt has gotten in behind it. I may order a insert text sheet just to patch up the outlane insets that are in rough shape and then place down a new Mylar sheet from Marco. Marco's new Mylar looks to cover more than what is already covered, and I could always custom trim up a few extra pieces here and there.

#5 7 years ago

That is not a bad looking playfield. But if you remove the Mylar it might be. You never know how much paint will come up with a System-11. Aftermarket Mylar comes up easy, but I will bet that is factory. And you "will" be needing the insert decals afterwards.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

That is not a bad looking playfield. But if you remove the Mylar it might be. You never know how much paint will come up with a System-11. Aftermarket Mylar comes up easy, but I will bet that is factory. And you "will" be needing the insert decals afterwards.

Even when using the freeze method? I pulled the Mylar off my TZ a few years ago and it came right up. The glue was a different story.

Pulling the Mylar up does worry me, but I'm not sure if its the factory Mylar. Unless the factory Mylar really did come in three different pieces.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

Even when using the freeze method? I pulled the Mylar off my TZ a few years ago and it came right up. The glue was a different story.
Pulling the Mylar up does worry me, but I'm not sure if its the factory Mylar. Unless the factory Mylar really did come in three different pieces.

A while back I bought a Swords of Fury project off of Doug Huse (same generation as EatPM). When picking it up I mentioned I might remove the Mylar, he has told me flat out "don't". He said this was factory and even if it was bubbling I would take a lot of paint with it. And I trust his opinion.

I took aftermarket off of a High Speed and ever though it came up easy it took paint from around any inserts that had shifted in the slightest. I've seen other High Speed Mylar removals that were disasters.

I would not assume System-11 games and Twilight Zone are going to be similar experiences. I'm sure we will hear some stories both ways.

#8 7 years ago

If you want your playfield done. Contact Neo. He did a phantom of the opera that was a ton of work and made it spectacular. I would trust him with any of my playfield, especially if twy need touched up before clearing. Pm me I will shoot you his email.
Magicchiz

1 month later
#9 7 years ago

I was thinking the same to take the Mylar off my eatpm, I removed the Mylar from a pinball magic with no issues a few years back. But the big difference is there's no clear coat under these system 11 games so it's dicey the outcome. Mine is pretty nice so I'm just gonna leave it.

#10 7 years ago

I just removed the Mylar on my Elvira. The freeze method worked great for me. On two inserts I had very slight lifting. The insert looked as though little opaque specks underneath and that was the finish chipped a little. Not a big deal for my playfield. I'm going to clear it, my swords of fury is cleared with no adhesion issues. I have a very nice light purple color match I can share with you as well as a neon green if you need. Of course my playfield and yours may not color match 100 percent but if you need any info I can help. Good luck

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
$ 18.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 70.00
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 45.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-options-with-eatpm?hl=niterider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.