• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20151119_163216_042.jpg
IMG_20151119_170504_010.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I am attempting to restore a 1967 Williams Shangri-La which is my second EM pin. This thing is in bad shape but I love a challenge. To get to the point, it was stored on its back and mice took up residence on the playfield. Due to the playfield being upside down, when they pissed it went towards the top of the playfield where the metal brackets, metal ball guide and metal slot for the playfield glass. Thankfully the playfield was spared being used as a toilet. I removed said items and have been scrubbing them all with simple green and bleach cleaner. I got some of it off but alot refuses to come off. Is there anything I can soak the metal in to help remove the remains of the piss? The picture don't show enough but you get the idea of where it is. I thought it was rust at first until the smell hit me and yes I'm using gloves.

IMG_20151119_170504_010.jpgIMG_20151119_170504_010.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I'm not familiar with that game in particular, but you are probably going to need to regrain the metal finished bits and sand or media blast then repaint anything that was painted.

-scott

#3 8 years ago

I might have the parts around you need but depending on your location shipping can add up on this stuff. I am in central PA - where are you located?

If you are in the US and don't mind spending a few dollars let me know exactly what all you need and I'll see what I can dig out for you.

#4 8 years ago

Metal parts: Soak in C-L-R mixed 50% with water. After a few minutes in the solution (and while keeping the parts immersed) scrub the part with a brass bristled detail brush like you get at Harbor Freight dirt cheap.

When the part is clean, rinse it with warm water, then spray it with Mean Green, then rinse again and dry it off with a hair dryer.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Metal parts: Soak in C-L-R mixed 50% with water. After a few minutes in the solution (and while keeping the parts immersed) scrub the part with a brass bristled detail brush like you get at Harbor Freight dirt cheap.
When the part is clean, rinse it with warm water, then spray it with Mean Green, then rinse again and dry it off with a hair dryer.

I never thought to try CLR thanks for the tip!

Quoted from too-many-pins:

I might have the parts around you need but depending on your location shipping can add up on this stuff. I am in central PA - where are you located?
If you are in the US and don't mind spending a few dollars let me know exactly what all you need and I'll see what I can dig out for you.

If the CLR does not work I will get with you, I am located in south east Michigan.

Thanks guys!

#6 8 years ago

Liberal amounts of Simple green is what I used for a similar project.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kick-off-rehab

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Liberal amounts of Simple green is what I used for a similar project.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kick-off-rehab

I saw your post previously, you did an awesome job. The one I'm working started out pretty much in the same shape.

The playfield was not nearly as bad as yours as far as mouse urine.

IMG_20151119_163216_042.jpgIMG_20151119_163216_042.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-metal-cleaning-on-a-barn-find-67-shangri-la and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.