You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140522_121833.jpg
20140521_234726.jpg
20140521_231653.jpg
ps.jpg
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I need some advice as to why my "always on" playfield lamps stopped working. All of the other lamps on the machine are working fine. What might be causing this issue and how do I test the machine to know for sure?

#2 9 years ago

check the connectors on the boards in the backbox. Are any discolored/crispy?

#3 9 years ago

GI fuse blown.

#4 9 years ago

I bet it's a burnt GI connector in the backbox too. I've replaced them on mine before. Not uncommon for this machine.

#5 9 years ago

GI connector as folks have said...same prob on mine.

#6 9 years ago

Where do I find the GI connector and the GI fuse in the backbox? Thank you for all of your responses...I am a novice in the world of fixing and maintaining pinball machines but I am anxious to learn and I appreciate you all taking the time to help me and for the patience it takes to assist a novice

#7 9 years ago

open the backbox and look at the plastic connectors all along the edges of the boards with wires connected to them. they are sometimes overheated and burnt looking. This causes a crummy connection.

#8 9 years ago

So a GI connector can be ANY of the plastic connectors along the edges of ANY of the boards?

#9 9 years ago

well, G.I. stands for general illumination ( bulbs on playfield that are always on). One plug is for those. A manual will tell you which plug it is, but this is commonly the one that looks crispy.

#10 9 years ago

in NJ by chance? I would be happy to help.

#11 9 years ago

I will look in the manual then...thank you for explaining what G.I. stands for...as I said before, I am a newbie at repairing pinball machines and I am eager to learn as much as I can as I troubleshoot these issue...thanks again!

#12 9 years ago

learning is half the fun!

#13 9 years ago

GI fuse looks to be a 5A (6F2)slow blow and should be in upper right corner of backbox.
On power supply board check 3J8 and Gen Illumination IN

ps.jpgps.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Yes, I am in NJ...I am going to try to figure this issue out without bothering anyone beyond asking these novice questions here...but if I still can't figure it out, I'm sure I will be asking for you assistance...nice game room by the way...I just checked out your pics...you have quite a collection of pinball machines...I only have the one...thanks again for all of your help!

#15 9 years ago

Thanks bdaily...that helps a lot!

#16 9 years ago

Thanks welcome aboard!

#17 9 years ago

I looked at the board that bdaily suggested and paid particular attention to the GI in and GI out connectors but everything looks fine to me...I am attaching a pic of the board...does anyone notice anything wrong with it?20140521_231653.jpg20140521_231653.jpg

#18 9 years ago

I also checked out the four 5amp slow blow fuses in the upper right hand part of the backbox and they look ok to me...I have also attached a pic of those fuses for your consideration...thanks!20140521_234726.jpg20140521_234726.jpg

#19 9 years ago

I just tested all four of those fuses and there is continuity through all of them so I don't think it is a bad fuse. I also looked at picture of what "crispy" or "burnt" pins look like in the connectors and I don't see anything like that anywhere in the backbox. I do, however, see one pin like that when I flip up the playfield. It is on a small, square circuit board toward the bottom of the playfield...it has two yellow wires going into it and few other wires. One of the yellow wire pins is a bit crispy...I removed the connector and you can tell that things aren't perfect there but it still looks like it would make a connection...I'm not even sure if that circuit board or connector has anything to do with the GI lights on the playfield but I figured it was worth mentioning...thanks again for any advice you can offer...

#20 9 years ago

1) To be 100% sure you must take the fuses out of the backbox and test them.
2) sometimes the header pins are cracked, pay attention to that when you remove the GI wire housing.
3) take a look at the connection inside the housing sometimes the problem is not what you see on the top but inside the housing itself.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from professor00:

I just tested all four of those fuses and there is continuity through all of them so I don't think it is a bad fuse.

Those female connectors don't look great in the zoomed in pic. Far top left has melted, broken insulating cover. Next one to the right of that looks to have a nick or melting insulation. Almost all look crispy. They have been exposed to heavy current over the years and all should be replaced, and probably the holder as well - it looks dark. It doesn't have to be specifically a problem with the fuse. Oxidized fuse clips, aged crimps, any introduction of a small amount of resistance generates heat in these heavy current GI circuits that further degrades the connections. I'd replace all of that for certain. I recommend substituting part, if not all, of your GI bulbs for LEDs - helps lower the current, and the stress on these circuits in the long run.

#22 9 years ago

I hate to sound so ignorant about these things but how to you correctly test a fuse if continuity isn't good enough. I disconnected the leads to the fuses and current flowed through the fuse...I thought that as long as current was able to flow then the fuse was good.

#23 9 years ago

Continuity is not good enough, because you'll get a positive continuity reading or low ohms regardless of the current carrying capacity of the wire or fuse. Just because there is a connection does not mean that the current capacity is there. The reason to pull the fuse is to make sure that the metal conducting housing hasn't broken or separated from the glass (very common). You should also measure from points beyond the fuse to make sure you don't have any resistance caused by cracked solder, poor connections, oxidation or some other problem with the fuse holder and it's crimps.

You can't really trust someone else's handiwork, and sometimes you can't trust the original assembly either. Stuff that looks burned or otherwise questionable is something that you really need to make sure is done correctly. Connectors are generally the weakest link in the chain that cause most of the problems.

#24 9 years ago

ok...so if I physically remove those four fuses, what do I do specifically to them to know for sure they are good if a continuity test isn't going to help? What other test can I do?

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from professor00:

ok...so if I physically remove those four fuses, what do I do specifically to them to know for sure they are good if a continuity test isn't going to help? What other test can I do?

Physically remove the fuse, check the rating to make sure it is correct, measure continuity and plug it back in. That's what your test is for the fuses themselves, and that is all you can do. Then look for problems elsewhere: Fuse holder. Connectors. Wires. etc...

Check for GI voltage coming in to fuse block and out of the fuse block. Should be identical. Then we move on down the pipe.

#26 9 years ago

ah...ok...I think I understand...I will take each one out and test it...do you know what the GI voltage should be and where I can find the nearest ground to those fuses so I can test it with my meter? I know that these are REALLY novice questions but I don't want to mess anything up...thanks

#27 9 years ago

Assuming your GI connection is good out of the power supply, and the fuses are good...Check the relay board on the playfiled. Near the back right corner of the playfled, there is a relay board that controls the GI. If it has issues, it can cause dimmimg or even the GI to switch off (Again, i would rule out power and fuses first), but something to look at...

I think my past post, details the location....
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-gi-dimming-normal

#28 9 years ago

Thank you so much BrianZ...I posted last night that the only really burned pin I could find on the whole machine was on a small, square circuit board on the lower right part of the playfield...and it looks EXACTLY like the one in you post! I am thinking that that might be where my issue is if that is really a relay that controls the GI on the playfield...Question...are the GI voltages all AC? And what should the GI voltage read at the fuse and at the relay?

#29 9 years ago

Yes, I just checked the coil chart. Item #10 in the coil tests is the PF GI relay, Item #11 is the backbox GI relay. If you hear the relay clicking during the test, chances are that if the GI voltage is getting to the under pf relay board, that you may have cracked solder/burned connectors on the relay board(s)

I think the GI comes directly off the transformer secondary, and is roughly 6 volts AC. I used to have a Cyclone, it's been a while since I've been under the hood.

#30 9 years ago

Thank you so much wayout! I think I have a bad pin on the one yellow wire that goes into that board...I took it apart and the male pin looks ok but the female socket looks burnt...is there an easy fix to that or at least an easy way to test it to see if that really is the problem? Also, can I turn it on and test it with the playfield flipped up so I get access that relay board?

#31 9 years ago

Now were cooking...

I would check the power as it comes into the relay board. No power and the problem is somewhere else.

On this relay board, do you have a burdnt connector or is the PIN on the board burned/damaged?

The good news if this board is damaged, the replacement is available and cheap, otherwise replace the connector.

I'm at work now, and i cant remember the power . I'm guessing it might be AC and about 7-12V. But don't quote me on it.

#32 9 years ago

ok...now for the good news and the bad news...the problem was at the relay board...I took it off of the underside of the playfield and disconnected it...I cleaned the pin so that all of the black was removed...the pin looks fine now...no charring and it has not been degraded in any way...I took a small round file and cleaned out the inside of the female part of the connector and put it all back together...the playfield lights lit up!!!! I was SOOOOO excited!! They remained lit so I put the entire machine back together and played two games on it...I was soooo happy...but towards the end of the second game, the playfield lights went out and have not come back on...doesn't anyone have any advice as to how to permanently fix this issue? Thanks!

#33 9 years ago

Just a different way to check fuses is with meter set to voltage and machine powered on.

if a fuse is good and your fuse holders are nice and tight you will have no voltage drop so almost no reading. if fuse holder is loose but fuse is good you will read the voltage drop of the crummy connection.
if fuse is blown you will measure the full circuit voltage. and if unsure of voltage you have to try AC volts then DC volts. but it is sometimes a nice way to test as the machine is on and the lamps (are usually) on. so kind of easy to see.

If you have never tested fuses this way give it a try pull a couple fuses out and try it (pretend blown fuse) you'll like it.

#34 9 years ago

Well great you found the issue. Your header pin may be fine but the connector pin is likely shot no spring tension very high resistance connection. so you get heat build up and large voltage drop across that joint. causing the charring. you will likely need to replace the connector pins to that board.

#35 9 years ago

ok...any advice on how to replace just one female connector pin? I've never done anything like that before but I would like to learn...

#36 9 years ago

I don't want to replace the whole connector if I can help it...it is in good shape except for that one female pin so I would like to try to just repair or replace that one pin in the connector...any advice?

#37 9 years ago

Here is a pic of the female connector with the bad pin...20140522_121833.jpg20140522_121833.jpg

#38 9 years ago

with a burned connector like that it is possible for the male pin to look fine but have a bad solder joint. trace the board to see what that pin connects too and see if you have continuity from that back to the pin..

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from professor00:

I don't want to replace the whole connector if I can help it...it is in good shape except for that one female pin so I would like to try to just repair or replace that one pin in the connector...any advice?

You are going to have to replace the burned housing. Since you are going to need to pull out all the wires, it's the best time to recrimp them all. The male pins on the board should also be replaced. It's really the best thing to do, get it all now and likely never have to deal with it ever again in your lifetime.

#40 9 years ago

the pin on the header is most likely has micro fractures in it due to heat. And two the housing will have to be replaced. I know for a fact bevcause I have to do the same thing on my WCS94. It will be a first for me too.

#41 9 years ago

yes agree with wayout all the way!

Ed at great plains electronics will have all you need. crimp tool is the only expensive, thing you will need but is a one time purchase. i don't really have a great one step crimp tool that does the wire to connector and wire to insulation in one step which is real nice to get. purchase a few extra to practice on and maybe a dozen or so more to have on hand. header pins will need to be reworked, wick or suck off old solder, reflow with extra flux and new solder.

#42 9 years ago

I don't think I am talented enough to replace the pin on the board so that would mean I will have to buy a whole new board...I am also VERY concerned that I am not skilled enough to replace that entire connector...where do you even buy a replacement for one of those? I can do basic soldering but that's about it...

#43 9 years ago

Don't under estimate yourself. If your intention is to buy a new board then you might has well try to do it yourself and if you mess up..then buy a new board and keep the old one to practice. If you look at a few videos on youtube you will see that it's not trivial all you need is the right amount of heat and the right amount of solder.

Practice makes perfect.

#44 9 years ago

You just mentioned having the right amount of heat...all of my soldering irons are just "plug in and heat up to a set temp" type...they are not variable...I can't set the temp to a certain number...ugh...

#45 9 years ago

this is less than $5 in parts (if you have the right tools already). A pinsider above offered to help you with this. It might be time to take him up on it.

Seriously, this board doesn't need to be replaced. You could even send it to a board repair place (I use KsArcade.com) although this repair would be stupid expensive including shipping for what it is. Maybe you can find someone locally on craigslist who does pinball repair.

#46 9 years ago

yzfguy did offer his assistance yesterday so I am probably going to contact him and take him up on his offer...

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from professor00:

You just mentioned having the right amount of heat...all of my soldering irons are just "plug in and heat up to a set temp" type...they are not variable...I can't set the temp to a certain number...ugh...

That doesn't matter so much for this type of bulky work, usually connectors require more heat than something like components, ICs etc... I've been in electronics forever, learned a lot from my pops who was a television station engineer all his life. Most of the soldering work back then was done with non-variable irons. It's what was around and affordable at the time for field service. The "right amount of heat" doesn't mean that you have to have a thermostat controlled variable iron, it means you have to know what your tool is capable of, understand the properties of solder, and learn what you should and should not do to effectively desolder and create a proper solder joint.

You are more likely to run into the problem of having to wait for a very long time to get a connector hot enough for the solder to become liquid if the wattage of your pencil type iron is too low. A higher wattage iron will make for quicker work and less cold solder joints. You can desolder with either a bulb, spring loaded, or wick or a combination until you get comfortable with the techniques. Practice on scrap boards and watch instructional videos. Eventually, you can move into working on the more delicate work as you build your skills and graduate to finesse equipment.

#48 9 years ago

I finally narrowed down the issue to just the connector...the relay circuit board and pin are fine. I repaired the connector as best as I can and created a work around for the time being and it seems to be working just fine for now. Thanks again to everyone for all of the help and advice. I learned a lot and it helped me identify and solve my issue. You guys are the best!!!!

#49 9 years ago

sweet

#50 9 years ago

That's good to know. Those connectors can be buggy

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-lights-not-working-on-a-1988-williams-cyclone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.