(Topic ID: 144591)

Playfield lights keep going off.. HELP!!

By BanditBoy

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by BanditBoy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi All
Sorted power supply out on my Royal Guard after it was wired the wrong way around.. thx guys.

Problem is I think I've altered something whilst fiddling around? when playing, the playfield lights keep going off and on again?
Would my novice diagnostics be correct to say it could be a dodgy contact on the tilt relay?

Dunno how you guys go on with 20+ to look after, must be a full time occupation.
BB

#2 5 years ago

Yes, I would start by looking for loose contacts, but is it random or seam to be triggered by vibration, or specific game play, etc?

#3 5 years ago

could be, I dont have that pin, but if you have the schematic, you can follow the line back to the switch responsible for the lights.
it is easy to test, just slip a piece of paper in between the contacts, and watch the lights.
if not the tilt relay, maybe game over,reset, start relay??? coin relay?

#4 5 years ago

Check the switches on the tilt relay, check the fuse/fuse holder, and check the jones plug that plugs the playfield in.

I'll check my schematic tonight and see where the path goes.

What was the issue that was causing the snap targets to score replays? You never really said what that ended up being.

#5 5 years ago

I had same issue on a game and it was a contact on the tilt relay that looked like it was closed but it wasn't quite pressing hard enough.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Check the switches on the tilt relay, check the fuse/fuse holder, and check the jones plug that plugs the playfield in.
I'll check my schematic tonight and see where the path goes.
What was the issue that was causing the snap targets to score replays? You never really said what that ended up being.

Thing is I don't know for sure??
I had another issue besides the special problem where the D & E rollover lights wouldn't always go out or flickered so I cleaned and adjusted the contacts on the relays as was mentioned in another thread and it started working fine when I turned it on??

All was fine up to me changing the hot and neutral wires around this morning before I went to work, when I tested it the lights go out as tho it's tilted but game still plays fine.
During gameplay they're on and off everytime you hear a relay pull in on the main reset bank.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from BanditBoy:

Thing is I don't know for sure??
I had another issue besides the special problem where the D & E rollover lights wouldn't always go out or flickered so I cleaned and adjusted the contacts on the relays as was mentioned in another thread and it started working fine when I turned it on??
All was fine up to me changing the hot and neutral wires around this morning before I went to work, when I tested it the lights go out as tho it's tilted but game still plays fine.
During gameplay they're on and off everytime you hear a relay pull in on the main reset bank.

Flickering lights like this during game play smells like vibration on a switch that isn't making well enough, or is dirty.

Clean up those tilt relay switches and I think problem will go away.

#8 5 years ago

Thanks' for the info again lads, I sure do owe you a all pint of your favourite beverage..

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

check the fuse/fuse holder

This. It doesn't take much wiggle room for the just to lose contact in the holder, even when it feels somewhat tight. Give the tabs a slight squeeze (don't break them), and get a snug fit for the fuse.

#10 5 years ago

Bit more info for you pro's.

Starting from cold no lights on playfield but back box lights are on, ball no.5 has slight glow and last ball in play as a slight glow.. Also doesn't show ball in play whilst lights are in faulty mode.
After about 5 mins lights come on an go off then after around 15 mins they stay on and all's ok?

#11 5 years ago

if there is any doubt about a fuse holder , change it. radio shack sells a good replacement. other than that switches on the game over relay and tilt relays are the problem.

#12 5 years ago

Fuse holder looks good, I would've thought the same but wondering why no.5 on ball play and last ball in play has a slight glow?
Also match feature numbers have stopped lighting but gives a reply if it matches regardless of bulb lit..

#13 5 years ago

Just been playing for an hour on and off and not a flicker?. But I know when I turn it on tomorrow from cold the fault will return until it warms again?

Any thoughts guys?

#14 5 years ago

The only thing in the playfield lighting path is the fuse, a switch on R, a make/break switch on T, and a Jones plug (well, and the wiring). Could be something is expanding slightly as the game warms, making better contact. But if the lights don't come on, it's among those four things.

#15 5 years ago

my bet would be a bad fuse socket or a jones plug issue

#16 5 years ago

Thx guys, will check these possibilities out and report back....

1 week later
#17 5 years ago

Found the problem.....
When I pushed harder on the 30v hold relay which was already pulled in the lights came on... Quick clean and contact adjustment and all's well..

Still got the problem with the end of game match for credit tho???
I know that if the end of game corresponding reel number matches the random match number it knocks for a credit, problem is the number isn't lighting up on the backbox??

Any pointers on where to look?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from BanditBoy:

Found the problem.....
When I pushed harder on the 30v hold relay which was already pulled in the lights came on... Quick clean and contact adjustment and all's well..
Still got the problem with the end of game match for credit tho???
I know that if the end of game corresponding reel number matches the random match number it knocks for a credit, problem is the number isn't lighting up on the backbox??
Any pointers on where to look?

None of them?

The numbers are lit by the 0-9 unit in the backbox.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

None of them?
The numbers are lit by the 0-9 unit in the backbox.

Yeah none, when I first got machine they were?
It's giving a replay tho if there is a match but no lights on the 1-9 after the game ends?
Could it be a contact on the game over relay or tilt relay, or a dodgy connection on the Jones plug?

Do you know which relay actuates the random numbers light?

#20 5 years ago

The Match lights go through a make/break switch on the Game Over relay (X), the Match feature in/out adjustment plug, and the wiper disc on the 0-9 stepper unit. So if none work, then I'd start with the make/break switch on the X relay.

#21 5 years ago

Thanks' DF, will have a look tomorrow, at work at the moment.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Sale Pending!
Camp Hill, PA
Playfield - Plastics
Maple Street Sign Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Men
Great American Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 28.95
£ 50.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
$ 29.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball USA
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,899.99
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside