Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jfranci
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Globe Socket Short (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hi all,

Yesterday, my playfield lights FUSE blows after a few games use. The original fuse is a 10A and I replaced with the same and it blew as well. I tightened the fuse clips to ensure good contact. During game play, all lights work normally. The game still works, except the playfield lights are out (due to blown fuse).

Recently, a few things happened which may be contributors: A week ago, the kick-out hole contacts under the playfield were touching its light housing, causing the entire game to restart in mid-game. Very dramatic. This happened a number of times until I figured out the issue and moved the bulb housing out of harms way. Once I did that, the game reset issue stopped completely.

Yesterday, I spent some time cleaning the pop bumpers as they were flickering. I was cleaning the bulb mount with sandpaper and the abrasive stick sold by PBR. I bore down on the light socket a fair bit to take away the oxidation. After cleaning, I started playing and the lights started to go completely off and on a few times, then stopped working completed.

Not sure if any of the above is related to the current problem, however I thought I'd mention. The machine worked perfectly until the pop bumper light socket cleaning mentioned. I don't know how to measure current on the 6a bare wire circuit...only continuity - where do I put the 2nd clip? I was thinking of putting in a new fuse and measuring along the wire path to find the surge source. I've performed a continuity test with a multi-meter along the entire 6A light circuit and there does not appear to be any breaks.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

#2 1 year ago

I would go back to the pops and look for shorts, etc. or something like the kickout hole problem.

#3 1 year ago

Diagnose with one of these Fuse circuit breakers to save money and aggravation
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Electrical_short_troubleshooting_Fuse_helper

#4 1 year ago

It sounds like one of your globe sockets is shorting out. Go back to the hole kicker out globe socket check that one then the pop bumper sockets.if you have bent them around move them back to how they were before. Have a good look i say thats were your problem is.

#5 1 year ago

raff currieddog howardr - thank you all for the reply. Much appreciated!

One of the pop bumper sockets does hold the bulb very very loosely. As mentioned, I performed a continuity test across the entire length of the stapled 6A wire under the playfield and there are no breaks. I don't understand the principle here - how does a break in the socket cause the fuse to blow?

Although I don't doubt this is the issue as it started immediately after I cleaned with the pop bumpers, when I tried the new fuse, the pop bumpers shone brightly with no flickering...until the whole playfield lights shut down again due to the 2nd blown fuse.

howardr - OK, so if i make this device, once I plug it into the 10A playfield fuse holder, how is it used? LOL - newbie!

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from jfranci:

if i make this device, once I plug it into the 10A playfield fuse holder, how is it used?

The circuit breaker will trip instead of the fuse blowing so just reset the circuit breaker.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from jfranci:

I performed a continuity test across the entire length of the stapled 6A wire under the playfield and there are no breaks.

Don't get carried away with tests like that; look for shorts (inc. solder drips, etc.) Can you post a snippet of the schematic that includes the pop on the 6v. side?

#8 1 year ago

Just another angle. I had a backbox light fuse blow on a GTB Abra Ca Dabra. After finding no issues on inspection I removed all the bulbs and no blow. I then one by one re-installed the bulbs and found one bulb faulty which was causing the blow.

#9 1 year ago

Hi all, I figured it out! I did the following to isolate the issue. 1. Turn on the machine and leave it idle with all playfield lights lit for 15mins - no blown fuse. 2. Activate individual playfield elements repeatedly in isolation (pop bumpers, rollovers, drop targets, spinner etc.) - it's not until I spun the spinner that the lights start to flicker off/on. I examined the spinner and its coil and all looked OK.

I then checked the lane lights which illuminate on a rotation basis, based on the spinner coil. I checked each and found that in one case, the globe socket positive lead had swung around when inserting/removing the bulb and was touching the bare common wire. Short!

Now I recall I recently removed the bulbs because I thought one had burned out. I guess the pressure of pushing the bulb in and turning to set had caused the lead to spin as well!

@howardr - went to a couple electrical supply stores and none had the breaker! So have to burn through fuses until I can order. Thanks for the helpful suggestion!

Honestly, this is as much fun as playing...LOL.

Thanks to all (above and below) for your suggestions!
@raff @wayner

Globe Socket Short (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 25.00
$ 69.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 9.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside