New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 121462)

Playfield lights "flickering" on El Dorado, City of Gold

By njPinWiz

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by njPinWiz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider njPinWiz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Just picked up an nice, very clean El Dorado City of Gold. Everything seems to function as it should, with one bothersome exception. During play, and only occasionally - the play field lights "flicker" in unison. It might last a few seconds, or up to a minute or so. When a new game is started, the lights behave normally...then a few games later, the flickering occurs again.

I tried to re-seed all the connectors, but that didn't resolve it. I am hesitant to touch any other connectors until I can isolate which ones might be the cause - I don't want to cause other problems in the process.

Anyone familiar with Gottlieb System 8A, and can suggest which specific connectors/boards might be the culprit? Thanks!

2 weeks later
#2 5 years ago

An update: I replaced the LEDs corresponding to the 10 drop target bank at top of playfield and the 5 drop target bank on right side of playfield with #47s. It seems to have solved the "flickering" problem. I didn't replace the LEDs for any of the rollover lanes or the bonus ladder. But for now, everything seems stable.

4 weeks later
#10 5 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions...an update: replaced all the LED playfield lights (except those under the plastics) with #47s and the problem has gone away.

#12 5 years ago

I can't explain technically - over my head for sure, but with the LEDs installed they would flicker regularly. I replaced all of them with #47s and they no longer flicker. The playfield is not as bright as it was w/LEDs but the lighting is more even & the flickering has stopped.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 289.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 28.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Whitewater pinball mods
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
PinBoss Mods
$ 24.00
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sorcerer's Crypt Out of stock
UpKick Pinball
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 35.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 229.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 22.50
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider njPinWiz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside