New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 121462)

Playfield lights "flickering" on El Dorado, City of Gold

By njPinWiz

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by njPinWiz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Just picked up an nice, very clean El Dorado City of Gold. Everything seems to function as it should, with one bothersome exception. During play, and only occasionally - the play field lights "flicker" in unison. It might last a few seconds, or up to a minute or so. When a new game is started, the lights behave normally...then a few games later, the flickering occurs again.

I tried to re-seed all the connectors, but that didn't resolve it. I am hesitant to touch any other connectors until I can isolate which ones might be the cause - I don't want to cause other problems in the process.

Anyone familiar with Gottlieb System 8A, and can suggest which specific connectors/boards might be the culprit? Thanks!

2 weeks later
#2 5 years ago

An update: I replaced the LEDs corresponding to the 10 drop target bank at top of playfield and the 5 drop target bank on right side of playfield with #47s. It seems to have solved the "flickering" problem. I didn't replace the LEDs for any of the rollover lanes or the bonus ladder. But for now, everything seems stable.

#3 5 years ago

Check the voltage to your lamps. I am not an expert on this but from what I understand leds are either off or on. I would think if the voltage is a bit weak it may cause flickering. Incandescent bulbs can take lower voltage and maybe not noticeable since they will still light, just maybe a bit less bright. I just got an eight ball deluxe le and the bulbs worked fine. I swapped out for leds and now the insert lights flicker. I checked the voltage and they are a bit low for what the manual calls for. I reseated the headers on the light boards and cleaned the pins. Problem still exists. However all my caps are original. Seeing they are +30 years old I went ahead and ordered caps and am going to replace them. Hopefully this cures my issue. If that doesn't work I plan on trying some non-ghosting/flickering type leds.

Anyone who is more familiar with this subject please chime in.

#4 5 years ago

Yes it sound like he reduced the load on the circuit and or power supply making the change from incandescent to led. Kind of covering or relieving the issue. Gottlieb issue

Bally issue. Led can not be used without adding a load resistor or purchase that OCD board or maybe the anti flicker/ ghosting bulbs as they have built in resistor.

Yeah I tried one led in a mmpm as I ran out of regular and holy hell that looks horrid and out it came.

#5 5 years ago

I'd be looking at the A2 power supply as a possible source cause, specifically the connectors and header pins. Another off and on flicker type problem is bad lamp sockets, they can also cause lamps to flicker. Sometimes the problem will clear out after playing with the sockets a bit but it'll usually come back if not corrected. System 80 games don't use a lamp matrix to drive the controlled lamps so a ghosting type issue usually isn't the problem. Another possibility would be a bad or weak fuse block.

Steve

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

specifically the connectors and header pins.

+1

#7 5 years ago

Are you sure it's not a situation where the game is trying to dim or something? LEDs just don't work in some spots because like maestro said, they are just "on" or "off'. Before you do anything drastic throw some incandescent in it and see if that corrects the issue. Then take a look at what the incandescents are doing when the LEDs were blinking.

#8 5 years ago

In newer games, that would be a possibility. But like all System 80 games, EDCoG doesn't have the ability to dim out controlled bulbs. They are either off or on during attract and game play.

Steve

Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Are you sure it's not a situation where the game is trying to dim or something? LEDs just don't work in some spots because like maestro said, they are just "on" or "off'. Before you do anything drastic throw some incandescent in it and see if that corrects the issue. Then take a look at what the incandescents are doing when the LEDs were blinking.

#9 5 years ago

You may have lost the big filter cap on the BR.

4 weeks later
#10 5 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions...an update: replaced all the LED playfield lights (except those under the plastics) with #47s and the problem has gone away.

#11 5 years ago

That seems odd. Led would be a reduced load not regular lamps?
And gottlieb doesn't use a matrix so. Why would all the LEDs flicker?

#12 5 years ago

I can't explain technically - over my head for sure, but with the LEDs installed they would flicker regularly. I replaced all of them with #47s and they no longer flicker. The playfield is not as bright as it was w/LEDs but the lighting is more even & the flickering has stopped.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 289.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sycamore, IL
$ 3.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 6.95
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside