Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ToucanF16
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I must say that the LED upgrades for pinball machines is awesome if done tastefully. I have been to numerous pinball arcades in Colorado and Texas. What I am finding is that a lot of the machines in these locations have had the GI lighting replaced with color LEDS, and the lighting in the room has been turned down. This presents a problem for me in seeing / tracking the ball. What this situation does is makes me gravitate toward the newer machines that have well lit playfields, passing up a chance to play older machines that I really like but
    have difficulty seeing. I have owned / refurbished quite a few games and I love the colored LEDS, but I leave the GI some flavor of white. So, is this by design in arcades these days to turn down the lighting and make the playfields difficult to see pushing customers toward the newer, brighter, more $$ gameplay?

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from Higloss67:

So, is this by design in arcades these days to turn down the lighting and make the playfields difficult to see pushing customers toward the newer, brighter, more $$ gameplay?

It's effectively mood lighting. Arcades have always done this.

Have you been in a brightly lit arcade before? Ever notice how strange it seems? Or how empty it usually is?

People seem to like the lights turned down a bit. Heck, look at the lighting in home game rooms. How many are brightly lit?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Higloss67:

I must say that the LED upgrades for pinball machines is awesome if done tastefully. I have been to numerous pinball arcades in Colorado and Texas. What I am finding is that a lot of the machines in these locations have had the GI lighting replaced with color LEDS, and the lighting in the room has been turned down. This presents a problem for me in seeing / tracking the ball. What this situation does is makes me gravitate toward the newer machines that have well lit playfields, passing up a chance to play older machines that I really like but
    have difficulty seeing. I have owned / refurbished quite a few games and I love the colored LEDS, but I leave the GI some flavor of white. So, is this by design in arcades these days to turn down the lighting and make the playfields difficult to see pushing customers toward the newer, brighter, more $$ gameplay?

I believe it is just a case of poor utilization of LED lighting. IMHO, colored LEDs in the GI is just a bad choice. As far as the theory of pushing customers to games of better balanced lighting, I think you are giving them too much credit. Probably just some guys trying to save money on lighting costs so they place LEDs everywhere without one solid thought on why there is a lamp there in the first place.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Higloss67:

What I am finding is that a lot of the machines in these locations have had the GI lighting replaced with color LEDS, and the lighting in the room has been turned down.

Most pinball players are not on Pinside.

When they see the classics with color GI, they can't understand WTF they are seeing, and avoid those games.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

I believe it is just a case of poor utilization of LED lighting. IMHO, colored LEDs in the GI is just a bad choice. As far as the theory of pushing customers to games of better balanced lighting, I think you are giving them too much credit. Probably just some guys trying to save money on lighting costs so they place LEDs everywhere without one solid thought on why there is a lamp there in the first place.

I must admit that on the first couple pins that I refurbished, I installed color coordinating LEDS in the GI. It looked nice, but didn’t do much for the playability in low light situations. I guess the Ops have inadvertenly created a situation where they get more of my $$. Good for them. So glad to see a pinball comeback.

#6 5 years ago

Get rid of the colored GI and pit a Pinstadium kit in those old games.

#7 5 years ago

I have 6 on route. I just went with Comet 1SMD white frosted for GI and inserts. Just kept it simple and you can see just fine. No need for color anything in the games. I'm hoping that fad is over with...

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Get rid of the colored GI and pit a Pinstadium kit in those old games.

The first half of your comment is correct at least.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I have 6 on route. I just went with Comet 1SMD white frosted for GI and inserts. Just kept it simple and you can see just fine. No need for color anything in the games. I'm hoping that fad is over with...

Agree. You summed it up, keep it simple.

#10 5 years ago
    #11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

The first half of your comment is correct at least.

Marvin is right. Plus the fact OPs won’t see the need for Pinstadium on routed pins. Cost:return ratio is way too high!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-lighting-for-machines-on-route and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.