• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
C568624C-D847-49E8-ADCA-18354961D71D (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone! I recently bought my first pinball machine. It’s a 1973 tropic fun (also gulfstream) by Williams. I managed to get almost everything working on it except my playfield lights. I tested my bulbs in a socket in the back box that I know works and the bulbs were fine. I checked continuity throughout the playfield and that was fine too. I was also able to read 10-11 volts coming out of the light bulb sockets when the game was on. What am I missing here?

#2 5 years ago

The voltage shouldn't be quite that high. How are you measuring?

Depending on where in Rochester you are, I could probably stop by and help you out if you want

#3 5 years ago

None of the playfield lights come on? Is it in Tilt? I don't have a schematic for this, but is cable from playfield to mech bd. plugged in?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

None of the playfield lights come on? Is it in Tilt? I don't have a schematic for this, but is cable from playfield to mech bd. plugged in?

This is the only schematic I could find for this game. It doesn’t appear to be in tilt but It’s possible

C568624C-D847-49E8-ADCA-18354961D71D (resized).jpegC568624C-D847-49E8-ADCA-18354961D71D (resized).jpeg
#5 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The voltage shouldn't be quite that high. How are you measuring?
Depending on where in Rochester you are, I could probably stop by and help you out if you want

I was using a voltmeter and putting one prong inside the lamp socket and grounding the other prong to the metal side rail. I’m in Hilton btw.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Tyweb:

I was using a voltmeter and putting one prong inside the lamp socket and grounding the other prong to the metal side rail. I’m in Hilton btw.

Try putting one lead on each of the wires going to the lamp socket. It's possible that the other side of the connection is being cut but still going to the rail.

Checked your fuses?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Try putting one lead on each of the wires going to the lamp socket. It's possible that the other side of the connection is being cut but still going to the rail.
Checked your fuses?

All of the fuses looked fine and had continuity when I tested them. The coin door lights also don’t work but I don’t know if that’s related

#8 5 years ago

The playfield lights go through the fuse, the connector, and the lock relay. You should have continuity from the green-yellow-white wire coming from the transformer all the way to the blue wire on each lamp socket

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The playfield lights go through the fuse, the connector, and the lock relay. You should have continuity from the green-yellow-white wire coming from the transformer all the way to the blue wire on each lamp socket

Ok. I’ll double check it that way when I get home tonight.

#10 5 years ago

It's likely one of the middle switches on the Lock relay. One does pf and the other backbox.

#11 5 years ago

Somebody did a nice hack job here. I’m guessing this is where my problem is?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Tyweb:

This is the only schematic I could find

Buy one from www.pbresource.com/ or www.marcospecialties.com/

#13 5 years ago

Looks like the coil is probably bad so they jumpered over the switches since they aren't closing. I'd get a new coil and hook everything back up right.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Looks like the coil is probably bad so they jumpered over the switches since they aren't closing. I'd get a new coil and hook everything back up right.

That was totally it. I closed one of the switches and the whole playfield came on. Now I just need to find the right coil and it’s all fixed! Thanks for the help guys!

#15 5 years ago

Assuming it's the same as Gulfstream it's a M-29-1250 per the manual

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-light-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.