(Topic ID: 246202)

Playfield insert question

By gjm

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190629_103535226 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fixintoplay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 4 years ago

I replaced every insert on my Surf Champ a few years ago and I can still remember the challenge it posed. I did not need or use a playfield overlay -- I was lucky -- my surface came up pristine after meticulous cleaning, polishing and waxing. I have done partial overlays of clear mylar over newly-installed inserts, and I can tell you it's not for beginners. Here's what you're up against:

1. generic plastic inserts ("will-fits") to replace the original, dried out, shrunken and cupped factory ones often have digits or letters embossed on their surfaces that need to be sanded flat. This is not a real problem. Yet.

2. I first dry-fitted every one to make sure it had enough material height for sanding. These are generics, and not all insert geometrics are exactly alike. A few were too loose, too thin or too wide (toss them), but most were too thick (too high.)

3. In my case, I progressively-sanded each top surface using low to high grit paper until I was satisfied with the finish. (I made a make-shift tool using wrench sockets and foam tape.) Then the thicker pieces -- more than half of them -- had to be sanded on the other (lower) side to be sure it would fit flush and snug. Again, I dry-fitted every one to be sure.

4. I then gave the top surfaces of all the inserts a few coats of poly spray and let them dry overnight. I used a sheet of cardboard with holes cut to stabilize the inserts and avoid getting poly on the sides. In the case of the ones with decals, I applied the decals first and let them dry, then sprayed them with poly. The final step was leveling and gluing each insert in place.

In your case of applying an overlay protector on top of the sanded inserts, you obviously won't need to spray them with poly. Your biggest challenge will be getting the heights of the insert and playfield surfaces EXACTLY FLUSH.

Good luck.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fixintoplay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-inserts-1?tu=fixintoplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.