(Topic ID: 244980)

Playfield hoarding...good for the hobby or bad?

By timab2000

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Statement speaks for itself..your thoughts

#2 4 years ago

The statement actually doesn't speak for itself or it offers no context, nor reasoning why any of us should care.

How about you go first?

That statement speaks for itself.

#3 4 years ago

Why do you ask? Have you been hoarding Popeye Saves the Earth playfields?

#4 4 years ago

If people are willing to part with the Playfields than not a bad thing. Especially if there is no chance they will be acquiring game in future.

#5 4 years ago

If people only ordered what they plan to use in the near term, places like CPR might go out of business. Hoarding probably doubles their sales. Personally I've bought four repro playfields over the years, and installed zero. Granted, most people aren't as lazy as me.

#6 4 years ago

Hmm.

I have a couple pinball machines squirrelled away to fix on a rainy day -- is that gooder or badder than hoarding just playfields?

#7 4 years ago

Would love to find a nice Stingray playfield..Mine is losing paint on the right side and planking..

#8 4 years ago

The more PFs being bought and sold the better. If someday pinball goes into the tank and manufacturers close their doors the parts available will be the most important thing. Not hoping for this but those hoarding parts will in turn possibly help in the future.

#9 4 years ago

Good question. I used to buy an extra Wade Krause playfield just to help the run. Would later sell one, at cost, for no profit. Felt right.
    BTW. Currently own six that have all been installed. No hoarding here.

#10 4 years ago

I don’t think so. I plan on picking up a few play fields for machines I don’t own, but plan on owning in the future. Plus I love how some look on display in game rooms.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Why do you ask? Have you been hoarding Popeye Saves the Earth playfields?

Nope just curious what people think.

#12 4 years ago

I need a high speed 2 pf and a jm pf if anyone has one they don't want to hoard anymore.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Hmm.
    I have a couple pinball machines squirrelled away to fix on a rainy day -- is that gooder or badder than hoarding just playfields?

I don't think its bad. I think you try to get them back out there for people to play and enjoy, eventually.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I need a high speed 2 pf and a jm pf if anyone has one they don't want to hoard anymore.

Planetary Pinball has HS2 playfield s in stock still
    http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-31-1002-50004

#15 4 years ago

I tip my hat to anyone who has enough disposable income to buy multiple $750+ PF's and sit on them. Obviously if you bought several Centaur's & Fathom's back in the early runs when they were under $600 and sold them in the last year, you received a nice return on the investment.

The other side of the coin is the fact that many of those hoarded CPR PF's are more costly than what you'll pay for a whole project game. Unless it's a title you're in love with and plan on keeping it, financially it hardly worth installing one. For example the early Bally solid state games, pre 1980, CPR has made Eight Ball, Strikes and Spares, Star Trek, Kiss and Playboy (maybe more, these come to mind). The 1st three titles can be had as projects in the $500 range. Add the PF cost plus associated parts that will be needed in the swap plus rebuilding assemblies, you're at $900-1000. Add in board/display costs, possible BG replacement, re-pinning connectors, cabinet repaint, you can easily be in one for well over $2K to 2.5K without even counting your labor time.

You'd be better off spending the $2K+ for a nice example and not even bother with a PF swap. I enjoy working on pins and realize my labor in a restore is less than I'd make at McDonald's. But it's hard to resist a cheap pin.

#16 4 years ago

Do I keep a stack of random playfields just to have them? No.

Do I keep a few playfields for games I intend to restore and/or plan on soon acquiring? Sure.

Most of what I hang onto has an intended purpose.

But, I did speculate once on an extra CPR TAF playfield since past CPR playfields sold quickly for popular games and for a small profit after the run was done, but now the market seems to be flooded with them, so that didn't go according to how I thought it would.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

But it's hard to resist a cheap pin.

Oboy, isn't that the truth.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-hoardinggood-for-the-hobby-or-bad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.