Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by DNO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240406_135505 (resized).jpg
    20240406_144308 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 9.19.26?AM (resized).png
    20240405_154703 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 months ago

Can anybody tell me the best thing to used to bring my Terminator 3 hazy playfield back to a luster sign? Thanks for any help

20240405_154703 (resized).jpg20240405_154703 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 months ago

I would say a good cleaning (Novus 2) and a wax (Carnuba) would help. I'm sure others will have suggestions as well.

#3 3 months ago

Clean by your preferred method (on machines this age, I know it's harsh and I know that it is abrasive and removes playfield surface, but I'd use Novus #2...)

Then use a carnuba paste wax, per the instructions.

If you don't get the result you want, us naptha to remove the wax.

The definitive guide is this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#4 3 months ago

I’d try magic eraser and then Novus 1

#5 3 months ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I’d try magic eraser and then Novus 1

That should only be considered if you intend to strip off the surface.

I would try polishing and buffing.

#6 3 months ago

I have found that light cleaning with the magic eraser does not do any damage to that kind of playfield and can do wonders.
    Force flow, can a magic eraser remove the finish with a light cleaning? I don’t want to give anyone bad advice

#7 3 months ago

Can a magic eraser remove the finish with a light cleaning?

According to Vid's guide:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide#post-2655687

Magic Erasers are equivalent to about 1200 grit sandpaper.

But, (others may disagree, here, and I respect their experience...)

A lot of 'haze' or surfaces that don't look glossy are caused by micro-scratches. You can remove a microscopic top layer, and that 'levels out' many of the topmost peaks that catch your eye. Then use a bit of wax (either novus 1, or if you need to fill heavier scratches, a carnuba paste wax), to fill in the not-so-deep-because-we-took-off-the-top-of-the-mountain scratches that are left.

This gives a pleasing appearance, and wax can help to protect the surface.

Vid's guide shows some examples of what is happing on the first page with his Novus explanation.

I use magic erasers sparingly on playfields that I can access the paint.

I use Novus #2 for modern playfields that have 'diamond plate' or other clear coated surfaces, when there is obvious grime scratched into the playfield, or where the edges of the micro scratches are obvious, before applying some small amount of wax to give a smooth appearance that doesn't 'catch the eye' as much.

For less damage or less cleaning I'll try Novus #1 only, but almost everything I work on is compromised a bit more than Novus #1 on it's own will help with.

I fully respect the people who want to do no damage to their machines. Novus 2 or magic erasers DO remove the topmost layer of your playfield. If that could be avoided, it should be.

#8 3 months ago

After I started using this stuff, I threw my big bottle of Novus 2 in the trash.

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 9.19.26?AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-04-06 at 9.19.26?AM (resized).png
    #9 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

After I started using this stuff, I threw my big bottle of Novus 2 in the trash.
    [quoted image]

Thanks O-din. Ordering a bottle now!

#10 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

Thanks O-din. Ordering a bottle now!

Stuff's pretty amazing. Cuts through haze and shines up fast without a lot of wasted elbow grease. And leaves no grit or residue. It is designed to break down without any of that. Works great on ramps and cars as well.

Good to clean the playfield first, then wax when you are done.

#11 3 months ago

Good to know, I am going to order some.

#12 3 months ago

I tried the Novus 2 and then some wax. It didn't come out perfect but it sure looks a heck of a lot better. Thanks for all the help!

20240406_144308 (resized).jpg20240406_144308 (resized).jpg
    #13 3 months ago
    20240406_135505 (resized).jpg20240406_135505 (resized).jpg
    #14 3 months ago

You need the same angle and frame as the “before” shot of the Security Level insert

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.