New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 198802)

Playfield has different slopes on upper and lower part

By AlexW

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by SealClubber
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Dear Pinsiders,

Recently I bought my first pinball machine - a MM in a visually good condition. During setup of the playfield slope to the recommended 6.5 degrees (measured directly on the playfield), I noticed that the lower playfield has a different slope than the upper playfield. When I set the lower playfield to 6.5, the upper (beginning from the middle of the playfield) only has 5.5 degrees. I am measuring with a small digital inclinometer mounted on a 40cm long leveler. I double checked the result with a smartphone app, which roughly shows the same results.

Is it normal, that the upper playfield somehow "overhangs" the middle hooks and has a different slope that the lower playfield (which sits straight on the hooks and the support brackets)? What could be the cause of the different slopes and how could I fix that?

BR,
Alex

#2 3 years ago

Not sure if this will help you or not, but I've basically come to the philosophy of "if it plays/shoots good, then 'good enough' is close enough".

I take my best shot at leveling, and then try the game, and if feels good, I don't get any more analytical about it.

So, how does your MM play?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So, how does your MM play?

That's exactly the point why I started investigating the level a bit more. When I set the (lower) playfield to 6.5 the moat kickout at the left loop and the right loop touch the slingshots, where they slightly bounce off directly into the drain. Both are supposed to feed the left and right flippers - not the slingshots. When I set the playfield steeper to about 7.0, both loops are playing way better, but then the ramps are very hard to hit (most of the time the ball will not make the ramp completely).
I thought the ball path of the moat kickout to the slingshots is caused due to the warped playfield. At least I can imagine if the upper playfield would be more steep, the kickout might work better.

#4 3 years ago

I suppose it's possible the playfield is actually "warped". Not something I've personally had to deal with. Straightening the playfield wood is probably too big a project, I'd probably just monkey with some of the metal guides until the game was playing to my satisfaction.

#5 3 years ago

My new AFMr is set to 6.8deg down near the flippers, but 5.8 near the ramps (digital level). So, it's bowed, much as you describe.

My GoT Prem has the opposite issue - it's sagging in the middle. Using an 18" metal straightedge spanning top to bottom, I can easily slip a business card thru the gap. Was concerned, but no change over the last year.

#6 3 years ago

If the ramps are hard, maybe you need a flipper rebuild?

Either way though, the orbit isn't necessarily supposed to feed the flipper. On most Mm I play you have to give it a little bump unless it's going pretty fast

Is your playfield firmly tightened into the side rails?

#7 3 years ago

You can try adjusting the ends of the metal orbit guides so it feeds to the flippers. Try unscrewing the end of the wireform tab from the playfield, then gently bend the end of the metal orbit guide outward, then rescrew the tab back down. Might have to do this a couple of times until you get it right.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Buffalo, WV
$ 209.00
$ 26.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside