20180414_210759 (resized).jpg
DSC06249 (resized).JPG
DSC06251 (resized).JPG
DSC06250 (resized).JPG
DSC06252 (resized).JPG
DSC06243 (resized).JPG
orbitor1_plexi (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have a rough Criterium 75 that I bought last December. I don’t know where the machine was stored; it was waiting for me in the seller’s snowy driveway along with eight family members. It was weird having all those people staring at me, so I didn’t spend much time looking at it. I had already agreed to buy the machine for $50, so I loaded it in the car and took off. Buyers’ remorse sunk in at the first rest stop.

The backglass was in great shape, but the Recel playfield’s top plastic layer had delaminated to the point where it looked like an Orbitron.
orbitor1_plexi (resized).jpgorbitor1_plexi (resized).jpg
In some places the plastic had warped over roll-over switches and light bulbs. As it sat, the playfield was useless.
DSC06243 (resized).JPGDSC06243 (resized).JPG
I kept the Criterium’s bottom cabinet in the garage, and on a cold, January night I was able to take advantage of the low temperature and break/ tear/ rip the warped plastic off the playfield. It was so brittle. I lost about 10% of the artwork, but I can live with that. This is going to be a player’s machine at best.
DSC06252 (resized).JPGDSC06252 (resized).JPG
The Criterium is running now, but about 70% the playfield is covered with old adhesive.
DSC06250 (resized).JPGDSC06250 (resized).JPGDSC06251 (resized).JPGDSC06251 (resized).JPGDSC06249 (resized).JPGDSC06249 (resized).JPG
Does anyone have an idea about removing this layer of glue?

I tried the alcohol/ flour treatment, but not with any success.

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

When you refer to plastic I assume the pf was covered in mylar. Normally you would remove the mylar by the freeze method or by applying heat through a hair blow dryer-the latter is my preferred method. When this is done it also in my experience starts the adhesive removal process. I have found the baking flour and alcohol process works. But it is laborious and takes quite a deal of time by rolling with your fingers the removed adhesive into balls. Vids guide gives fuller info but that adhesive on your pf looks nasty.

#3 6 years ago

Have you tried Goo Gone?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Have you tried Goo Gone?

Yes. It works some, where the adhesive is very light, but it doesn't make a dent in the thicker areas.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from monsonb:

Yes. It works some, where the adhesive is very light, but it doesn't make a dent in the thicker areas.

You may want to let it sit for awhile first. It may take several applications to get through it all.

#6 6 years ago

I used goo gone, poured it directly on the adhesive, let it sit for a few minutes, and then use a plastic razor blade to scrape off the glue. You can get the plastic razor blades at any car parts store. It may take a few applications.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

It may take a few applications.

Quoted from schudel5:

You may want to let it sit for awhile first. It may take several applications to get through it all.

I have the Goo Gone, and I can buy the plastic razor blades over lunch. Maybe I'm just missing patience. I'll try slowing down; I didn't give either the alcohol/ flour mix or the Goo Gone much time to sit before I tried removing the adhesive.

Thank you for the replies.

#8 6 years ago

I would post the question and ask Vid in his Playfield restoration thread

10 months later
#9 6 years ago

The Criterium '75 sat unaddressed all fall and winter in the garage. After selling a machine, I used the extra room in the basement for the Criterium. It was time to get to work again.

I've spent about two hours each night using a method of rubbing flour into the glue, wetting the flour with rubbing alcohol, and waiting 5 minutes. Then I scrape off the mixture with plastic razor blade. After two weeks I can celebrate that I have removed almost all traces of the adhesive.

It was so tedious. Sometimes two inches of glue took an hour to remove. The process also removed more of the original artwork than I had hoped. But look at that shine after waxing!

20180414_210759 (resized).jpg20180414_210759 (resized).jpg

20180414_210954 (resized).jpg20180414_210954 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-glue-adhesive-removal-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.