4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RoyF
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Recently picked up a Sonic Mars Trek pin. The playfield glass is not original, the seller had it made for him by a local glass company and I suspect it is plate glass (bad!).

Can anyone tell me how I can confirm this is actually plate glass (without breaking it), or conversely that it is tempered glass? What would you look for, and what if any tests could you do? I necessary I'd even be up for a test that would destroy plate glass as long as it would leave tempered glass unharmed and the test could be conducted safely.

There is no tempered logo on the glass, but I know shops have been known to sell tempered glass without the logo. The glass edges seem more angular rather than tempered glasses I have on other pins that have the edges smoothed a bit more.

If it is plate glass then I'll replace it with tempered before anyone gets hurt.

#2 4 years ago

the shoot it with a bb-gun, wish i has a mars trek, bump

#3 4 years ago

I do not believe there is a way to tell, short of smashing it.
    Replace it and be safe!

#4 4 years ago

The edges on cut plate glass are noticeably sharper than those on tempered.

#5 4 years ago

I seem to remember seeing tempered glass being marked on the edge. You might check that.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I do not believe there is a way to tell, short of smashing it.
    Replace it and be safe!

I agree - just replace it.

A new piece of tempered glass is a lot less expensive than a trip to the emergency room.

#7 4 years ago

You can often see the annealing stress pattern of tempered glass with a polarizing filter - you can use cheap polarizing 3D movie glasses and an LCD monitor

http://glass-fish-tanks.com/how-to-tell-if-your-fish-tank-is-tempered-glass/

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

A new piece of tempered glass is a lot less expensive than a trip to the emergency room.

Exactly what I was thinking. But I hate to waste what might be a good piece of glass, so I thought I'd see if the Pinside experts have a trick up their sleeve to test and see if it is plate glass. Anyone else got a tip to tell if plate glass or tempered?

To answer an earlier comment, it was the fact that the glass edges were noticeably sharper that made me think I'm dealing with plate glass here.

I wonder what a safe way to dispose of a playfield glass sized sheet of plate glass is? Just leaving it out at the curb with the trash seems like an accident waiting to happen.

#9 4 years ago

take it out in the sun
    at the right angle you can see dots on tempered glass that look like fingerprints

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from krivoap:

You can often see the annealing stress pattern of tempered glass with a polarizing filter - you can use cheap polarizing 3D movie glasses and an LCD monitor

Hmm. I may not have a pair of 3D movie glasses, but I think I do have a pair of polarized sunglasses! I'll try looking at the suspect glass and also at a known tempered glass and see how they look compared to each other.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

take it out in the sun
    at the right angle you can see dots on tempered glass that look like fingerprints

Ok, will try this when the sun is up tomorrow (assuming we get any sun around here).

#12 4 years ago

compare it to your car
    it HAS tempered glass, the fingerprints do show up at the right angle

#13 4 years ago

You might also want to take it to your local glass shop and let them check it. If it is not tempered you could have them get you a piece. My last trip to local glass shop revealed that the glass was plate glass and a new piece of tempered glass was only $33.00 (plus tax).

Also, look at the edges and if there are any chips along the edge then you can be pretty certain it is NOT tempered. This is because tempered glass can withstand a lot of force to the glass however, even a slight force to the edge will cause it to shatter.

Al

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from CharlestonSCPins:

You might also want to take it to your local glass shop and let them check it. If it is not tempered you could have them get you a piece. My last trip to local glass shop revealed that the glass was plate glass and a new piece of tempered glass was only $33.00 (plus tax).
    Also, look at the edges and if there are any chips along the edge then you can be pretty certain it is NOT tempered. This is because tempered glass can withstand a lot of force to the glass however, even a slight force to the edge will cause it to shatter.
    Al

I've had plenty of tempered with edge chips, and surface scratches. The easiest thing to do is used a polarized filter to look at the glass in bright light.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

compare it to your car
    it HAS tempered glass, the fingerprints do show up at the right angle

Yeah, I think that's where I remember seeing the "fingerprints" / "dots" - on my car windshield when wearing a polarized pair of sunglasses, and viewing the windshield from the correct angle. Ok, will try that!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 14.95
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 315.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    liorillusion
    $ 26.95
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 229.99
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside