PXL_20220118_031225048 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220116_232314829 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220116_233421943_exported_13040~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3103 (resized).JPG
glass (resized).png
61iO+jlKp0L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
46B69C12-A232-4BED-9BDC-B8AEA673BD81.gif
download (resized).png

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 months ago

For my next trick on Road Race I will attempt to get the playfield glass off! Now that I got the lockdown bar off, the glass won't budge at all. I was thinking of heating it up with a heat gun to melt any old soda/hard candy/gunk holding the glass in place. Any other tips?

#2 4 months ago

Carefully Run a razor blade or butter knife along the outer edges?

#3 4 months ago

DO NOT heat it. You could melt the plastic guides which would just change to a different problem.

As suggested above, try a thin blade of some sort between the glass and the guide. A flexible thin putty knife would be what I would start with.

#4 4 months ago

Clean the glass and try a couple of piece of duct tape. two feet on the glass and six inches off the glass. fold the six inch piece in half and use as handles to pull wtih.

#5 4 months ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

Clean the glass and try a couple of piece of duct tape. two feet on the glass and six inches off the glass. fold the six inch piece in half and use as handles to pull wtih.

And try to wiggle back and forth, side to side

#6 4 months ago

Try too run a thin blade or something down both sides it should lose what's in there

#7 4 months ago

I would not heat it. As others mentioned you can create other problems. Plastic putty knife, thinnest you can find in a hardware store and try and get it between the glass and guides. You can use a cleaner or dish soap as lubricant on the putty knife and as a bonus it will stay in the tracks and help with removal. If that doesn’t work try a giant suction cup that can grab the glass and you can put some leverage on that as well

#8 4 months ago

Just don't try too Bry anything on the glass ends as it will smash in too a mil pics has happen too me before

#9 4 months ago

I think Harbor Freight sells automotive dent removers which are basically giant suction cups with foldable handles - probably be effective if the duct tape idea doesn’t work ....

#10 4 months ago

Wet the edges with water and 409 or windex or Fantastic. Leave soak in. Then try working it out.

LTG : )

#12 4 months ago

I think Stern should include one of these with every new game, their glass is tight as hell lately for whatever reason.

#13 4 months ago

download (resized).png
Sorry had to do it.

#14 4 months ago

Tape always works for me.

#15 4 months ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

And try to wiggle back and forth, side to side

Isn't that the "Hokey Pokey" ? Sorry

#16 4 months ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

Sorry had to do it.

It might not be tempered. Could cause a lot of playfield damage as the edges dig into the playfield.

#17 4 months ago

I wonder if he got the glass off

#18 4 months ago

Suction cups work well though I'd recommend wearing a pair of gloves too. Certainly, many machines here in the UK do not have tempered glass for various reasons in so are dangerous if broken.

#19 4 months ago
Quoted from Classicpinballs:

Suction cups work well though I'd recommend wearing a pair of gloves too. Certainly, many machines here in the UK do not have tempered glass for various reasons in so are dangerous if broken.

Yes that's for sure its happen too me also always wear gloves

#20 4 months ago

OP, don't leave us hangin'!

#21 4 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I think he is

#22 4 months ago

He might be busy. It takes a really, really long time to vacuum all the glass from every nook and cranny

#23 4 months ago

Turn machine upside and break glass!

#24 4 months ago
Quoted from JayDee:

He might be busy. It takes a really, really long time to vacuum all the glass from every nook and cranny

Not if it isn't tempered.

#25 4 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

My was tempered and it went everywhere though my bacement I found little glass for weeks lol

#26 4 months ago

Suction cups work well though

Quoted from jrpinball:

It takes 3-5 days for orders to arrive..

#27 4 months ago

Remove the side rails (search pinside how that's done) and the whole mess should come off. Yeah it's a project, but you gotta do that anyway - the slide channels are corrupted and have to be removed and replaced.

#28 4 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

I had a service call once to replace the top glass on a game.
Seems two young brothers were horsing around, and one flipped the other one off the couch, and the kid landed flat on his back on top of the pinball machine!
Glass was not tempered, and it was pulverized! Took me an hour to remove and vacuum the glass out of the game. Only a few small parts on the playfield were damaged, and apparently the kid wasn't injured.

#29 4 months ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

My was tempered and it went everywhere though my bacement I found little glass for weeks lol

Yup. That's always the way it is.

#30 4 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

apparently the kid wasn't injured.

Thankful for that.

#31 4 months ago

I once stood a wide body playfield glass from a Space Invaders machine on one of its corners on my tiled workshop floor and it nigh exploded into hundreds of tiny squares of glass. And even vacuuming what I thought was them all up, I still find the odd piece tucked behind a machine. I now handle glasses with much more care!

#32 4 months ago

I once stood a wide body playfield glass from a Space Invaders machine on one of its corners on my tiled workshop floor and it nigh exploded into hundreds of tiny squares of glass. And even vacuuming what I thought was them all up, I still find the odd piece tucked behind a machine. I now handle glasses with much more care!

I had a Gold Wings I just sold to Grizlyrig that I pulled the glass to remove the balls and give a final wipe down and it exploded when it touched the garage floor, I'm still finding the odd bit months and months later.

Now I have a Berber carpet in the shop work area and its the only place glass of any sort is allowed to be put down.

#33 4 months ago

Tempered glass aka Safety Glass has saved countless injuries but you have to be mindful when handling else you will have a cleanup headache

46B69C12-A232-4BED-9BDC-B8AEA673BD81.gif
#34 4 months ago

I had a similar issue with JJP GNR actually. Took glass off when I unboxed, added balls, and couldn't get glass back in. The slope in my garage floor going to the drain on one leg was pulling the cabinet out of square.

Make sure the cabinet is sitting level.

#35 4 months ago

Since we are talking about exploding tempered glass my opinion is that it breaks when its time is up. Yes, sometimes contact with a hard object can trigger it, but there are many examples of where that does not trigger it to break.

I have had two glasses break just holding them in my hands. In both instances I was removing them from a game only to clear the lockbar receiver to have them explode with no contact.

When its time is up, its time is up.

#36 4 months ago

I once stood a wide body playfield glass from a Space Invaders machine on one of its corners on my tiled workshop floor and it nigh exploded into hundreds of tiny squares of glass.

That just reminds me when years back an old time Vendor said "Never set a playfield glass on edge
on a concrete floor". I didn't say anything, but I've done it dozens of times with no problems, and
would you know. The very next time I did it, it exploded..

#37 4 months ago

Tempered glass on my gas fireplace exploded last year. Mess to cleanup. Also sounded like a shotgun went off in my family room.

Nothing unusual that day about temperatures in the house. Outside the house. Wind. Nothing I can think of. Guess it was just its time.

…unless it was the shotgun I was cleaning?

#38 4 months ago
Quoted from curban:

Nothing I can think of.

If it's over tempered, sound waves from a speaker or something can do it.

Those seem to make the shotgun noise while the other ones tend to be quieter or just crumble.

#39 4 months ago

Haha. I have a feeling we're making the op very comfortable..

#40 4 months ago
Quoted from Tonup69:

For my next trick on Road Race I will attempt to get the playfield glass off! Now that I got the lockdown bar off, the glass won't budge at all. I was thinking of heating it up with a heat gun to melt any old soda/hard candy/gunk holding the glass in place. Any other tips?

Well? How did you make out???

#41 4 months ago

Use a glass suction handle type tool (such as shown) after light soaking the edges with Windex.
Attach horizontally (cross-wise), not vertically for the purpose of removal.
Lightly move the tool up and down after attachment and soak, then pull downward with even force.
If there is even more "crud" built up, clean the edges of the metal side channels first before applying the Windex soak.
Avoid pulling the edges upwards to reduce stress chance of fracture.

Keep Flipping,

- TBK

61iO+jlKp0L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

1 week later
#42 4 months ago

My 1969 Bally Joust seems to have the lockdown bar glued to the glass, after unlatching it all lifts upwards as one piece, chrome edging and glass. Not normal, right?

#43 4 months ago
Quoted from Skybug:

Not normal, right?

Not normal. I'd try and soak it a little. 1/2 water half soap. See if the beer seal loosens up enough to get the lockdown bar off.

#44 4 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not normal. I'd try and soak it a little. 1/2 water half soap. See if the beer seal loosens up enough to get the lockdown bar off.

It's the whole thing though, that comes off. Lockdown bar, and the chrome on left & right sides of the glass. I think someone screwed up this game big time.

#45 4 months ago
Quoted from Skybug:

It's the whole thing though, that comes off. Lockdown bar, and the chrome on left & right sides of the glass.

I had a Bally from the same era (King Rex I believe) that did the same thing,
and maybe 1 or 2 others. It's how they were made. Lifting is handy when in
tight pathways, but I prefer the standard sliding the glass out..

#46 4 months ago
Quoted from Oscope:

I think Harbor Freight sells automotive dent removers which are basically giant suction cups with foldable handles - ....

^^ This ^^ I've used them before with much success. Also works well for removing a stuck back glass. Just don't push down hard on the glass. Just try to gently full the glass toward you. Wiggle it gently at the end a bit if it doesn't work at first to try to loosen it up.

#47 4 months ago
glass (resized).png
#48 4 months ago
Quoted from Skybug:

My 1969 Bally Joust seems to have the lockdown bar glued to the glass, after unlatching it all lifts upwards as one piece, chrome edging and glass. Not normal, right?

It's normal. The glass, lockdown bar and side trim, all lift up in one piece, and are removable from the game if desired. There are thin metal prop rods in the top edges of the cabinet sides which can be pulled out to support the glass assembly if you choose to leave it on the game when servicing it. Bally made several models with this type of arrangement.

#49 4 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Never owned a late '60s- early '70s Bally?

#50 4 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Never owned a late '60s- early '70s Bally?

I like the Bally glass hood! That is, until you have to replace the glass!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!