New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 273894)

Playfield Glass Screeching

By HighNoon

84 days ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by zene10
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 84 days ago

Has anyone ever had a problem where the playfield glass screeches when you pull it out or put it in? I'm talking nails on the chalkboard, loud, and grating. I've cleaned the plastic channel under the side rails with novus, confirmed that there aren't any staples sticking through them on the inside of the channel, and confirmed there is nothing foreign in the channels. I've also cleaned the glass. Nothing has worked.

Any ideas?

The machine is a Split Second.

#2 84 days ago

I swapped the glass out with another machine and the problem follows the glass. So the problem isn't the machine.

#3 84 days ago

Probably the glass is a tad too big/not cut properly or the edges need to be sanded.

#4 84 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Probably the glass is a tad too big/not cut properly or the edges need to be sanded.

I thought about that too. The size seems to be right as it has the right amount of play in the channel. The edges could be the problem as they are a bit rough, although they are not too bad.

#5 84 days ago

I'd take a block of parafin wax and lightly rub the edge of the glass, top and bottom, not too far onto the glass surface. That should help.

LTG : )

#6 84 days ago

Have you tried using la la?
That's when you repeatedly say LA LA REALLY loud as you push or pull the glass.

#7 84 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd take a block of parafin wax and lightly rub the edge of the glass, top and bottom, not too far onto the glass surface. That should help.
LTG : )

That did it! Thanks for the help guys.

#8 84 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Have you tried using la la?
That's when you repeatedly say LA LA REALLY loud as you push or pull the glass.

Ha! That's been my solution for a while actually. Problem is you just can't LA LA loud enough to block the nails on a chalkboard sound.

#9 84 days ago

I put Zerk fittings on all my machines and pump the hell out of the handle.

#10 84 days ago

I use the original invisiglass - I just don’t use glass.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Renaissance, FLORIDA
$ 149.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside