(Topic ID: 138398)

Playfield glass reflection-PDI or Invisiglass?

By sepins

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by sturner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Want to get rid of the reflection of translite on pf on a couple of games.

One is LED'd in the Backbox other is standard Stern Flourescent.

TWDLE is led'd by Refinery and Metallica is standard Stern bulb.

Did painters tape to bulb on Metallica and it worked but translite doesn't pop after doing it.

LED's are cool in backbox but they are worst culprit.

Is the $300 worth it for invisiglass or PDI?

#2 8 years ago

for me, its definately worth it... the PDI i find is better... but thats just my opinion.

once you do one or two, and see how it is, you'll want to do all your pins..

oh, super collection by the way...

#3 8 years ago

I have one of each. Both work great. To me there's no visible difference. Would buy either again and then it all comes down to price. Totally worth the cost.

#4 8 years ago

sometimes glare that comes from the play field (even with glass off game) cant be stopped. if you have overhead florescent light glaring down on play field, glass cant stop it. even if you remove the glass, glare is still present on play field.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

sometimes glare that comes from the play field (even with glass off game) cant be stopped. if you have overhead florescent light glaring down on play field, glass cant stop it. even if you remove the glass, glare is still present on play field.

Very true. However our eyes perceive a reflection from a surface (PF) differently than one above a surface (glass). Better glass eliminates 1/2 the problem but makes game play 100% better.

#6 8 years ago

I assume Bob's pinball glass is worthless?

Thanks for the info!!!

Want to do the 4 sheet order with JJP but their warranty dept. is tough and just scares me to order parts from them.

#7 8 years ago

or u can just order the PDI from joey...

#8 8 years ago

+1 for PDI Glass from Joey at pinballdecals.com

expensive and worth every penny. good luck not getting it on all your games once you see the difference it makes.

my 2 cents

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from sepins:

I assume Bob's pinball glass is worthless?

In terms of glare reduction it's barely better than a standard sheet (6 of my games have Bob's Ultimate, they do look nice but don't block backbox glare). I find that putting a strip of LEDs above the backboard on the game to light up the upper playfield and using a bent plastic helps a lot with glare for $10 until I get my act together and PDI my games out.

This video is the consensus I've seen on PDI vs. Invisiglass...

#10 8 years ago

OK...I get it...LOL

PDI is that much better!!!

#11 8 years ago

i buy glass for $30 ish a sheet from my local glass shop and side by side against any of the pricey non glare glass i cant tell the difference at all. I'm often questioned if i have non glare glass on my games and the answer is no. guess it pends the glass quality and tempering. i often try to grab a ball that goes down middle or down the side drains when im testing a game and hit the glass with my hand forgetting i have glass on...lol. its very clear.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

i buy glass for $30 ish a sheet from my local glass shop and side by side against any of the pricey non glare glass i cant tell the difference at all. I'm often questioned if i have non glare glass on my games and the answer is no. guess it pends the glass quality and tempering. i often try to grab a ball that goes down middle or down the side drains when im testing a game and hit the glass with my hand forgetting i have glass on...lol. its very clear.

you must be getting some awesome glass or great lighting, I definitely know the difference between my invisiglass and regular glass.. (plus the anti-reflective coating is purple)

I was working on my CV the other day and slammed my hand into the glass really hard because I just didn't notice it was there

and the backbox on CV makes anti reflective coated glass a must

#13 8 years ago

the glass is very nice. i took some and installed a few on a friends location games and he asked if it was anti glare (invisiglass) and so did other league players.

#14 8 years ago

PDI helps a bit but I don't think it solves the problem. I think the benefits of the glass is closer to the shooter than farther up on the playfield. If you've got the money to spend, I say get it, but don't expect to be blown away by the results.

I did notice someone selling a backbox dimmer. Seems a lot cheaper than the glass and might be worth a try. I have never used it so can't comment on the effectiveness, but it does seem to allow the translite to pop when the machine is on but dim when a game is actually being played. Best of both worlds I guess.

http://www.arcadeupkeep.com/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-glass-reflection-pdi-or-invisiglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.