• No, not something I'd use. 16 votes
    89%

(18 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LW (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_4476 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MtnFrost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I can make these static art clings in styles and shapes to be applied on playfield glass, no adhesives, static cling keeps them securely in place. They can be removed and reused. This is similar to the art advertisements you might see applied on business windows and glass doors. Here's a test example of a piece I did for Centaur, matching the art style of the playfield. I could do these also to directly apply on the white arches of older EMs too, as another application, you get the idea. Is it worth pursuing, or not? I would like your thoughts.

IMG_4476 (resized).JPGIMG_4476 (resized).JPG
#3 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I belive people already make magnetic versions for arches.
It just seems god awful/ghastly to cling this on the glass; so it might be popular.

Magnetic - are they creating art that matches each pinball's style / characters, or just a more generic thing? I admit I haven't seen that.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

If you are planning on trying to sell this type of thing, recreating art, you'll get shutdown by Planetary Pinball in order to protect the IP.

To clarify, I'm not using the artwork at all. I'm creating brand new artwork in the same style, so there's no IP concern. Style cannot be copyrighted. But thank you for the compliment.

#7 1 year ago

Thanks. Completely different product, which is good.

#9 1 year ago

I have a copy of this particular Centaur example. I’ll send it out free to someone picked at random who comments on this thread. I’ll wait a week to allow for people to comment. Whoever gets it has to agree to report back with their thoughts here. Sound good?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I would hate these and peel them off any machine that came with them. I would find them cluttering. And artwork stuck on top of the glass would seem... out of place... compared to the art I expect on the machine playfield and plastics.
Also, for me anyways, anything that obscures ball travel in any way gets stripped out of machines that I buy, even if it's a really cool and well done mod and it's just a return ramp or something. With that in mind, something like these made intentionally for that purpose could be useful to handicap play on easy machines for tournaments, akin to the blinders on DataEast Tommy. But that would be a very small niche to fill.
I've also met people who don't think like me and would stick like 10 of these on every machine, so you might be able to make a go of it.

Thanks for the feedback. To be clear, they are not decals and can be removed as they are only held in place by static cling. So if you had a machine with one, you could take it off as easy as picking up a quarter off the glass. Or the former owner could just keep them and use them in other ways.

Also, my idea is to use them in places that do NOT block play, for instance, maybe a shooter lane or over a dead area. But as the owner, you would place them as you prefer.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

There is at least one pin that had artwork on the playfield glass itself... Escape from the Lost World.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/132082[quoted image]

That's another way I can create these too, depending on interest. I can create all sorts of graphics, there really is a lot of ways you could go. Thanks for pointing this example out, I had forgotten about this pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

£ 195.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MtnFrost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-glass-art-thoughts?tu=MtnFrost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.