(Topic ID: 161036)

Playfield eaten by termites. It is fixable?

By ChilePin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I found this pinball today but the Playfield has a lot of "termites dots". The structure is firm, so I think I can use the Playfield. But what to do with this holes? Fill them?
Thanks

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

Is there a lot of moister damage as well? Sometimes that comes hand in hand with termite damage on wood.

#3 7 years ago

Looks more like Wood Worm. A wood loving larvae. Or Powder-post Beetle.

#4 7 years ago

wouldnt place that next to my other pins!

#5 7 years ago

It does have that Powder Post Beetle look to it.

I would not bring that into your home or garage until you find out if it has an active infestation in it.

If you put your ear up to it, can you hear clicking?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you put your ear up to it, can you hear clicking?

Nightmare flashback of the Rod Serling's Night Gallery episode with earwigs. Shivers!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It does have that Powder Post Beetle look to it.
if it has an active infestation

BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!

#8 7 years ago

i'm restoring a NOS field with the same holes. Worm tunnels all over. Just fill them in and not much else you can do.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from joemagiera:

Nightmare flashback of the Rod Serling's Night Gallery episode with earwigs. Shivers!

It was a female, and she laid eggs

#10 7 years ago

Yep, looks like powder post beetles. I just bought a house that has a second older house on the same property and the floor joists are full of those damn beetles.

And that house was going to be my pinball house!!

#11 7 years ago

Couldn't you fill the holes with fiberglass resin?

#12 7 years ago

You can fill the holes with resin or bondo or 2PAC, but if there are still powder post beetles larva inside, they will chew their way out a new hole.

"
For small items freezing or heating may offer a possible solution. CAUTION: Heating or freezing may have detrimental effects on some finishes. Placing small items in a deep freeze for 4 days or longer should kill larvae and
eggs. A refrigerator freezer does not get the temperature low enough to give control. Heating in an oven until the
internal temperature reach 120° F and keeping them at this temperature for 30 minutes also will control eggs and
larvae.

"

http://www.cceoneida.com/assets/FactsheetPDFs/Beetle-Powder-Post-Beetles2.pdf

#13 7 years ago

Hi, Thanks for all. That holes was made by a Chilean wood eater called "the wood moth" is a Chilean moth (I live in Chile) and her larvae loves wood.
Most of the time they are not there. But just in case I fill the holes with a specialized insecticide and the wrap the cabinet in wrapping plastic and leave there for a month. That kill them if there just one inside.
But the problem now, is that I have done this in cabinets. And cabinet is not problem fill it with bondo. But.. What could be a good filler for the Playfield? Fiberglass? Bondo? Wood paste? And then paint it with wood color?

Thanks!

#14 7 years ago

You'll want to vault the game with a professional extermination company before bringing it anywhere close to your home or building. If they can burrow into the wood they can burrow back out just as easily, so filling holes provides no safety... do that after fumigation, and it should be possible to restore. Fumigation may cost as much as the game is worth, which is why some people just burn it... but restoration is more noble, just keep the receipt for a future buyer, else they'll be in the same position you are in.

#15 7 years ago

I wouldn't take that game for free.

There's a nice one for sale for $475 right here. Though PA is a long way from chile.

#16 7 years ago

A game formerly inhabited by mice? Sure, I'd take it if it wasn't too badly damaged. A game eaten and inhabited by bugs? Oh heck no. I'm not going to risk bugs jumping from one game into the house and/or other games.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from ChilePin:

What could be a good filler for the Playfield? Fiberglass? Bondo?

Yes, either of those would be fine.

#18 7 years ago

That machine looks perfect for using as target practice, maybe filling with tannerite and blowing it up

#19 7 years ago

Leave it outside and play the hell out it until the legs fall off, then have a ceremonial bonfire. But keep the componets and backglass.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

A game formerly inhabited by mice? Sure, I'd take it if it wasn't too badly damaged. A game eaten and inhabited by bugs? Oh heck no. I'm not going to risk bugs jumping from one game into the house and/or other games.

Don't trust those mice jumping from game to game either

http://49.media.tumblr.com/e8dc102d935668b52e0cda88e9fbb580/tumblr_n82utxxwEA1tg07rko6_500.gif

#21 7 years ago

Burn her she's a witch!!

#22 7 years ago

Aptly named game. Sure (is) Shot.

#23 7 years ago

I think the issue is Chile... wishing luck.to the op. I'd think epoxy wood filler would work well in this app. Once you've killed the bugs

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Burn her she's a witch!!

yo cnkay easy with the witch burning!

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from joemagiera:

The stories that legends are made of.

th_(resized).jpgth_(resized).jpg

#26 7 years ago

I own a pest control company, It can be saved by having it vault fumigated with Methel Bromide for around $100.00 ask your local company if you can throw it in with other stuff being treated to save some money. After that then you could repair it. These are powder post beetles.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-eaten-by-termites-it-is-fixable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.