Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Solar Ride (resized).jpg
Frame Side (resized).jpg
Frame before populating (resized).jpg
Lit Frames (resized).jpg
Frame Back (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I had a few playfields laying around with parts and decided to make a lit frame, on the wall. A special thanks to Mr. 68 for the idea and a few others with help of concept.
Solar Ride (resized).jpgSolar Ride (resized).jpgLit Frames (resized).jpgLit Frames (resized).jpgFrame before populating (resized).jpgFrame before populating (resized).jpgFrame Back (resized).jpgFrame Back (resized).jpgFrame Side (resized).jpgFrame Side (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Someone asked for instructions and parts list, so I decided to the share here:

Parts:

-Finished 1" x 2" X 8' (required 3 per frame) $5 X 3 = $15
-1/8" X 2' X 4' tempered hard board for back ($4)
- 1 string of 100 Xmas lights for GI ($2 on clearance)
- 1 LEd Strip $23. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZKF2ZO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00
- 1 pack of lighting gel filers ($10) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SSSY8N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00
- Wood Glue
- Screws Assorted
- Corner brackets
- command strips for power supply

About $60 in parts

#3 3 years ago

Frame - I measured the length of playfield and then cut the sides and top of 2" X 8" to length with 45 Degree Miters (as shown in picture). One was mitered on 1" side and other on 2" to give the frame depth and coverage for the playfield and inserting lights.

I glued the two frames together with wood glue and also screwed corner brackets onto corner. I used large clamps and painters tape to hold the frame together.

After the glue dried, I screwed in corner brackets (likely over kill) and screwed playfield to frame with existing holes (I did want to make the process reversible and not cause damage to playfield).

Populated the playfield with plastics left over from a previous restoration. Covered large holes with photo gel paper to match colors on playfield.

Strung the Christmas lights behind the playfield into the GI holes under the plastics and pop bumpers, to have an always on incandescent feel.

Put the LEDs in a random pattern underneath on the fiberboard. These jump and make it look like playfield is in attract mode and provide a blinking effect.

Screwed the fiberboard to back of frame and mounted onto the wall.

1 week later
#4 3 years ago

These look great Greg! Thanks for sharing.

#5 3 years ago

Great job, I like that you added all the information as to the parts and processes for those of us who might like to try it ourselves.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks guys. I failed to mention I got most of the parts from Home Depot (unless noted from Amazon). I would guess Lowe's has the same stuff. The nice thing about finished 1" X 2" x 8' pieces as they are already finished in white, so no painting was required (unless you want a different color).

1 year later
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from PrinzFred:

Thanks guys. I failed to mention I got most of the parts from Home Depot (unless noted from Amazon). I would guess Lowe's has the same stuff. The nice thing about finished 1" X 2" x 8' pieces as they are already finished in white, so no painting was required (unless you want a different color).

Nice work! Love the added plastics, lane guides, flippers, and bumper caps. Any pics of the back of the finished product? Curious to see where the LED strip was placed.

3 weeks later
#8 1 year ago

I should have taken a picture of the LEDs, but they were just attached to the tempered hardboard inside the frame. The LEDs had a peel back strip to attach to the board and I just wrapped them in a random pattern.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-display-frame-with-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.