Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by jalpert
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

The playfield on my TZ is in excellent condition, but I have noticed that it has small dimples all over it. These are most easily seen when viewing the playfield in bright light at certain angles. Is this anything to worry about, or is it completely normal?

#2 13 years ago

You mean like tiny dents? Most of my games have that, I'm pretty sure it's from ball strikes. Nothing to worry about.

#3 13 years ago

I love the older games that have the light covers pushed in so they redirect the ball when they roll slowly over them. I just call stuff like that "character"

#4 13 years ago

They are most likely pesky lil ball marks. Are you getting air balls alot? I was on my Dracula and they are all over the place because of those middle targets that just get hammered and reflect the ball all over. I added padding behind the targets and now barely get them.

It seems like they are generally accepted as normal wear on a playfield so I try not to worry about them too much.

#5 13 years ago

A steel ball striking any wood at a decent speed is going to leave some kind of mark.

#6 13 years ago

Is your play field clear coated? Or does it have a sheet of Mylar over it?

#7 13 years ago

"Is your play field clear coated? Or does it have a sheet of Mylar over it?"

As far as I know, it only has whatever coating originally came on these machines (Diamondplate?). The only mylar is is a few smaller pieces at the slings, the pops, and the upper right flipper/rocket.

#8 13 years ago

Also look where the dimple is at and look underneath the playfield. See if its a mix matched screw. Sometimes it gets replaced with the wrong screw causing it to mess up the playfield.

#9 13 years ago

I tried to take a picture of my TZ playfield but the tiny dimples didn't show up...are they super small and all over? If so, then mine is the same way. If I look at mine at a real steep angle it has thousands of tiny pits (when I rub my hand over the surface I don't feel them)...maybe the plywood that Bally made the Playfields out of wasn't super smooth?

#10 13 years ago

"... are they super small and all over?"

I don't know if I would say "super small", but they are quite small, and are indeed all over.

#11 13 years ago

I just polished my JM playfield and now looking at an sharp angle I can see small dimples in the playfield too. I think it must be the playfield factory hardcoat/clearcoat.

It almost looks like orange peel texture on a bad car paintjob.

If thats what it looks like on your playfield it is most likely a factory defect of too much hardener in the clearcoat when it was sprayed.

#12 13 years ago

Thanks, guys! I no longer feel like my playfield is some sort of factory second reject.

#13 13 years ago

erak Wrote: I just polished my JM play field and now looking at an sharp angle I can see small dimples in the play field too. I think it must be the play field factory hard coat/clear coat.

It almost looks like orange peel texture on a bad car paint job.

If that's what it looks like on your play field it is most likely a factory defect of too much hardener in the clear coat when it was sprayed.

To much hardener could very well be part of the problem along with not enough flow enhancer/fish eye remover and a assembly line mentality to top things off.

The thing about clear coats is that in certain situations the clearcoat will lift causing little tiny bubbles to form giving it a dimpled look. If you have a sheet of Mylar and your getting this affect the adhesive could be releasing giving the same look and effect.

That being said...

A good way to test if you have clear coat play field is to look at a light bulb hole in the play field, if you can see the clear come to a edge then you more likely then not have a sheet of Mylar covering a sticker. If the clear goes down into the hole it is a sprayed on clearcoat.

You can also drag a straight pin from the inside edge of the hole out onto the play field and if you feel a step or little click it's a sheet of Mylar etc....

If you have Mylar and find that the adhesive is indeed lifting you might possibly be able to reactivate the adhesive by starting in the center and heating the play field with a hairdryer and use a small firm paint roller and roll out the Mylar squeezing out the air bubbles. This may or may not work depends on the age, severity of the problem.

The only fix I know of for lifting clear coat is a redo, yea...that one sucks!

#14 13 years ago

Dimples are pretty normal. From my experience, late model stern games are a lot more susceptible to them. They exists on all pinballs, but on WPC games aren't usually bad at all.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-dimples and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.