Topic Stats

• 279 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by cody_chunn
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 38 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

falk (resized).jpg
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ61804 (resized).jpg
738919790e544bc17b164f029e314ff983afcb49 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171019-030442 (resized).png
Screenshot_20171019-030151 (resized).png
dimples 005 (resized).jpg
New Plastics Pioneer 001 (resized).JPG
BD-2100-26-PKG-2 (resized).jpg
Digital-Depth-Gauge-80mm-With-Magnetic-Feet-LCD-Height-Gauges-Calipers-For-Router-Tables-Woodworking-Measuring (resized).jpg
dd441f3f7ee5ff9587bf4a42d82dc9ca58987e81 (resized).jpg
received_10212277069096738 (resized).jpeg
75e22f517a4787783461d062c579859e91c2cf8f (resized).jpg
1caec34e529cbc45597ec7106de45eb21595197e.jpeg (resized).jpg
look-sir-ian-mckellens-sign-at-womens-march-sums-up-message-of-protest-in-trump-era (resized).jpg
acea3529bb6afcaa20f2fa19858cc12f2328f26d (resized).jpg
1fb5387c61af6b55f44e1400b04aa5eedad5c4da_(resized).jpg

There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 11 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Stick to the 30 year old games that have had hundreds of millions of plays.

Assume you mean only 200,000,000 plays in 30 years. Assuming the location is open 24/7/365. That comes out to about 12.6 plays per minute. Mind if I nestle a couple of my machines next to yours, my friend?

You knew somebody would have to do the math.

#252 11 months ago

I saw 2 Star Wars LE's on location this weekend. One looked like moon craters, one looked like smooth glass.

So, yeah....chew on that "dimples are normal" crowd.

#253 11 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I saw 2 Star Wars LE's on location this weekend. One looked like moon craters, one looked like smooth glass.
So, yeah....chew on that "dimples are normal" crowd.

Don't be ignorant.

It should have been as obvious to you, as it was to me just by reading your post, that one game had 100,000,000 plays on it, subsequently hammering the playfield smooth as glass, while the other game only had 5-10 plays on it, hence the moon craters.

Plus we've recently learned that all pinball playfields, since the beginning of time, come from the same manufacturer, who cuts each playfield out of a single tree.

If I'm wrong about the above, then I suggest you look into cornea transplants, or an inpatient plan with optometrist, as I'm never wrong.

#254 11 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I was thinking there are hundreds of thousands of pins manufactured over several decades using vastly different materials.

Not really.

There were a few made of plastic (Oribitor1), a few made with a plastic overlay layer ( New Canasta, Electra) , very few made from MDF/Bakelite (samples of Xenon exist), and a few made from Baltic Birch (one run of Metallica, one run WOZ).

Otherwise 99% of all popular games by Gottlieb, Williams and Bally were made from Maple "lumber core" plywood.

Maple is super stable (thats why most guitar necks are made from it), cheap and relatively hard (that's why the first 1/3 of a bowling ally is made from Maple).

Back in the 80s, Bally used to sell blank playfields with the shooter lane and outhole pre-cut for $35. It was described as "solid Maple", but of course, it was lumber core with all the layers being Maple.

#255 11 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is NOTHING to debate.
Sugar Maple comes from the same trees it always has. There is no sacred 'old growth Maple' because Maple dies young.
There is no wood harder than steel, thus ALL playfields made of wood dimple if you use steel balls.
There is no clearcoat that can prevent dimples, your car caught in a hailstorm is obvious proof.
-
If you can't handle the truth, stop buying new games.
Stick to the 30 year old games that have had hundreds of millions of plays.

Why are the thickness tests showing some play fields are harder?

#256 11 months ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Why are the thickness tests showing some play fields are harder?

Well, based on the irrefutable facts previously presented, one must conclude that both the equipment used to test playfield hardness, and the person performing the test, are indeed defective.

The ONLY other possible explanation is that somebody nefariously just posted completely made up hardness test results to help instigate yet another subject for pinsiders to argue about.

#257 11 months ago

Have you ever gone to Best Buy and looked at one of those big name, Chinese made audio receivers?

The specs say 300 watts per channel X 9 channels for a total of 2700 watts output !

Now of course, your 15amp breaker would trip at 1800 watts, assuming nothing else was plugged into the circuit.

And that would assume that the amp was 100% efficient, rather than the more typical 50% efficiency.

Would it surprise you that when people who know how to actually perform a proper industry-standard test on these amps test them, that they only deliver 40 watts per channel, before the amp shuts down, and the thermal overload light locks on?

It always makes me wonder what kind of non-industry-standard tests the manufacturer uses to get those enthusiastic results.

#258 11 months ago

That's why my lights dim with the bass! Here I thought it was just strobe lights!
I did try to use an 1800 watt amp...That's a whole other thread of failures!

3 weeks later
#259 10 months ago

Wow, after reading this...what's the big deal? I'm sure my newly-coated play field may dimple...or maybe it won't because the wood has already been compressed. Either way...that just happens, doesn't really matter, does it?

#261 10 months ago

I've got like 500 games on my DI and not a single divot. And that game has a ball falling off a ramp.

#262 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If I had a couple of grand laying around I could buy a Rockwell hardness tester and compare the older play fields with new to how hard or soft they are.

If somebody wants to saw me off a couple chunks of playfield I'd be glad to measure them on a rockwell tester, however I think its way too soft to be picked up by one, as its meant to measuring hard metals.

#263 10 months ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I've got like 500 games on my DI and not a single divot. And that game has a ball falling off a ramp.

Nice!
I don't know how many games were on that machine, but I spotted quite a few on the machine located in the basement at DPO last weekend.

#264 10 months ago

Came across a new ac/dc ve which I am comparing to my game and made a month apart. The wood/playfield on that ac/dc has very few dimples with the same amount of plays (500 GAMES). I even tired firing the cannon on prone areas to create dimples on the other game with NO LUCK! I am convinced the wood is different and MUCH softer on my playfield as compared to the other, which is a shame.

#265 10 months ago
Quoted from jwilson:

If you have no dimples you didn't play 500 games.

#266 10 months ago

You're right, I just checked and it's just under 200. But the thing is still flawless and mirror flat.

#267 10 months ago

Then the rumors are true, Jack said he might try making playfields with Ironwood™, the only wood harder than steel.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ61804 (resized).jpg

#268 10 months ago

that's a hell of a sales pitch. Ink will still wear off.

#269 10 months ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I was curious, so scoped out a DI on route in Denver (LoDo 1Up) today. The playfield looks good but it does have modest, evenly-distributed dimpling when you take a close look, seemed pretty comparable to some of the Stern machines sitting beside it (Aerosmith and Ghostbusters if I'm remembering right) as well as the other JJPs. WOZ had the least noticeable dimpling of the 10 or so games I looked at.

I did notice some variation among the Sterns though. Nothing as bad as the SW pictured over here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern/page/32#post-4082583
Still, some games had much more noticeable dimpling than the DI or the other Sterns (not sure I'd call any of them "divots" but maybe that's in the eye of the beholder). I do wonder if playfield color/design and in-game lighting have a big effect on how the dimpling looks when the glass is on and the lights are down. But I'm still pretty convinced there's some actual difference in dimpling from game to game, whether it's ball speed, clear coat, wood quality, or whatever.

That said, having gone up and down this row of routed games, after looking closely (in a dimly lit barcade with a beer in hand, not under fluorescents with a magnifying glass) I found none that had zero dimpling. So I'm still sold on vid1900's "steel always beats wood" theory.

#270 10 months ago

just remember, depending on the artwork, and the way the lighting is on a game, will also make dimples look better or worse depending. Different colors and art packages accentuate dimples, where others seem to hide them better.

#271 10 months ago

Speaking of easy to see dimples.

4 months later
#272 5 months ago

I dunno, I've got a Transformers Pro with no dimples 1500 plays, and a SWLE with 700 plays dimples galore.

So where's the magic # of plays that evens everything out?

#273 5 months ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

"0"

#274 5 months ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Yes, Number of plays 0

falk (resized).jpg

#275 5 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Then the rumors are true, Jack said he might try making playfields with Ironwood™, the only wood harder than steel.

Vid, are you familiar with a product called Richlite? I don't know where it stands on a Rockwell hardness scale but I used to work this stuff when making aircraft tooling. The guitar makers are starting to use Richlite for fretboards. It does not warp.

Opinions?

http://www.richlite.com/what-is-richlite/

#276 5 months ago

I would never buy another aftermarket playfield from a supplier that his playfield dimpled on me. But then again I expect what I pay for! So far so good

#277 5 months ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

I dunno, I've got a Transformers Pro with no dimples 1500 plays, and a SWLE with 700 plays dimples galore.

No dimples at all? Really?

#278 5 months ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

I would never buy another aftermarket playfield from a supplier that his playfield dimpled on me. But then again I expect what I pay for! So far so good

I guess you will never buy another playfield then because they all dimple.

#279 5 months ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Can you post a pic of each one, glass off, with a bright light reflected on the playfield surface from an oblique angle?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Trade
Sale Pending!
Valley, NEBRASKA
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 9.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 15.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Montville, CT
$ 26.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside