IMG_20181017_201010084 (resized).jpg
falk (resized).jpg
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ61804 (resized).jpg
738919790e544bc17b164f029e314ff983afcb49 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171019-030442 (resized).png
Screenshot_20171019-030151 (resized).png
dimples 005 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 10 years ago

Someone should come up with game using a wood ball and steel playfield. Problem solved on a technicality.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Someone should come up with game using a wood ball and steel playfield. Problem solved on a technicality.

Yea but then we would be hearing complaints of dimpled balls.

#53 10 years ago

I wish Cliffy would make a protector that covers every inch of the playfield. All metal playfield with holes for just the inserts. Imagine it Cliffy.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

make a protector that covers every inch of the playfield

Like this?

http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/index.php/cPath/636

#55 10 years ago

That is very cool. I wish I had those cut files!

#57 10 years ago

Someone recently did a full review here on his experience. Here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-full-sheet-plastic

I'm probably going to go that route with my F-14 next fall/winter when I get snowed it. Too nice out this time of year to spend 4 hours a day in the shop.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Someone recently did a full review here on his experience. Here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-full-sheet-plastic
I'm probably going to go that route with my F-14 next fall/winter when I get snowed it. Too nice out this time of year to spend 4 hours a day in the shop.

Sun is overrated!

#59 10 years ago

There are a lot of factors. The top wood ply is one. The thickness of the clear. Possibly the company that applied the coating and chemical adhesive in the DP process (it wasn't just a clear).

Here's a BSD with thousands of plays, dirty as hell, wear around kickout, etc. The playfield is nearly flawless in front of the standup targets. This was a Sun Process field, the top layer of ply is thinner than the rest of the plys, and the clear seems to be thinner as well. You don't need these ultra thick clears to protect the playfield (IMO) other than a couple of small high activity spots, otherwise it's just a thick clear to show dimples.

If you've noticed, the last two Sterns (TAV and MET) have seemed to have a lighter coat of clear (you can see the outline of the playfield inks through the clear) and the dimpling seems to be less pronounced, but there. No doubt due to the hoards of collectors emailing pics of their dimples to try and get new playfields from Stern.

There are a ton of factors, and there's no simple answer like "All playfields dimple the same; They just get so many dimples you can't see them anymore" or "Stern's playfield wood sucks, that's why they dimple..." etc. The type and layers of plywood, the type of clear and chemical adhesive, the thickness and strength of the top layer of ply in the wood (thinner the better), etc etc...

002_(800x598).jpg002_(800x598).jpg 003_(800x598).jpg003_(800x598).jpg

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Dawson:

A buddy is trying to get me to use a epoxy 2 part clear coat over a fathom playfield? He claims it wicket hard and applys thick and is water clear , I thought it would be soft ?... I still might have the auto body guys apply an auto clear ... Anybody have any experience with epoxys ?

Epoxy 2 part clears will dimple just the same as DiamondCoat (tm)

#61 10 years ago

I'm the guy with the f-14 playfield protector. This game is fast and has many air balls, it's not uncommon to have a shot from the jagof kicker smack off the glass.

The protector sheet seems to deaden the blow of the ball on the playfield, hopefully eliminating the return of dimples on a finished playfield. It's hard to describe but the ball rolls nicer then it did on the Mylar or on the bare playfield. The sound is different the play is smooth. I'm very happy with the product.

I'm new to the hobby, so I'd love to have a pro play on one of these protectors and give a review. I can't say enough good things about it.

#62 10 years ago

Here's a BSD with thousands of plays, dirty as hell, wear around kickout, etc. The playfield is nearly flawless in front of the standup targets.

A quick photoshop autocontrast shows that your playfield looks to have millions of dimples.

If your playfield had a gloss finish, they would even be more evident.

dimple.jpgdimple.jpg

#63 10 years ago

So replacing the playfield every 100k games is the answer, like replacing the engine in that old hotrod that you drive every day

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

My Orbitor 1 does not have any.

hey, my O1 doesn't either. Stern must make the best playfields ever. I don't have dimples but I do have some outhole wear.

I've said it before. If your super anal about everything and expect your machines to look like museum pieces for life. Your in the wrong hobby. Pinball gets used dirty and played. Things break and go out all the time. It's expected. No playfield is perfect, especially NOS ones. The reason they are NOS is because they had flaws in them and were never used. Hence a lot of stockpile of NOS from old games. It's just the nature of the beast, and if you can't look past things like dimples and what not, your never going to enjoy the hobby as it's ment to be enjoyed.

#65 10 years ago

Cant wait to start dimpling my CPR Firepower playfield! Clean and waxed to prevent paint wear is all I'm concerned with. Dimples are going to happen unless you don't play your games. I play mine.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A quick photoshop autocontrast shows that your playfield looks to have millions of dimples.
If your playfield had a gloss finish, they would even be more evident.

Lol I think if you have to zoom in and use photoshop filters to detect them then they are pretty darn minor. I mean, you can detect some extremely subtle depressions with the glare on it in person, but nothing in the realm of what new playfields do, nor close to that MM playfield you pictured. Actually, in person with the naked eye this bsd playfield looks incredible and nearly flawless in that high, high impact area prone to dimples.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Actually, in person with the naked eye this bsd playfield looks incredible and nearly flawless in that high, high impact area prone to dimples.

That's what were all talking about, the more dimples you get, the more invisible they become.

Quoted from mechslave:

I mean, you can detect some extremely subtle depressions with the glare on it in person, but nothing in the realm of what new playfields do, nor close to that MM playfield you pictured.

That MM has had very little play and has been in storage for most of its life.

Because it still has good gloss, and little play, you can see thousands of dimples.

If your BSD still had it's factory gloss, it would be much easier to see.

3 months later
#68 10 years ago

I just repaired an all original AFM last night for a guy that is having a pinparty this weekend, and it had a very shiny playfield.

Of course, all that shine really brought out a sea of 1000000 dimples.

afm-dimple.jpgafm-dimple.jpg

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Cant wait to start dimpling my CPR Firepower playfield!

I was just looking at this last night. When I finished my playfield swap, I waited the 30 days CPR recommends for it to cure. But even after waiting, I started to notice a few dimples when I played. I was a bit concerned at first, but figured it was still 100x better than the original playfield, so I wasn't going to let it bother me. Since then I've probably put several hundred games on it. Last night, I was looking to see the dimples, and just like Vid has said, it seems all those dimples have started to even out - my CPR Firepower playfield still looks awesome and plays FAST.

#70 10 years ago

My Metallica LE playfield is showing signs of dimpling, only owner purchased NIB.

...and you know what? I DONT CARE. As discussed here in thourough detail, its unavoidable unless you don't play your games. If you own pinballs and don't play them... well maybe its time for a new hobby (VGA graded sealed video games perhaps?)

#71 10 years ago

Perhaps we could use chrome pingpong balls. This would certainly solve the dimpling problem!

Quoted from SunKing:I was just looking at this last night. When I finished my playfield swap, I waited the 30 days CPR recommends for it to cure. But even after waiting, I started to notice a few dimples when I played. I was a bit concerned at first, but figured it was still 100x better than the original playfield, so I wasn't going to let it bother me. Since then I've probably put several hundred games on it. Last night, I was looking to see the dimples, and just like Vid has said, it seems all those dimples have started to even out - my CPR Firepower playfield still looks awesome and plays FAST.

Mine is plenty cured by now and still not installed!
One of these days........

3 months later
#72 10 years ago

Because someone keeps posting that WOZ playfields don't dimple; here is a pic of when the playfield is new, and then when it gets it's cherry broken.

Woz playfields dimple - just like any other manufacturer (they are made by Mirco).

graining.jpggraining.jpg
billions and billions.jpgbillions and billions.jpg

1 week later
#73 10 years ago

Here we have a Theater of Magic, a Williams game from what many feel was the peak period of pinball craft.

Note that the dimples are behind the flipper and are actually in the outlane (click the image and really take it all in).

So all of these dimples are from balls that hopped OVER the lane guide or flipper.

The rest of the playfield looked great, because it had so many dimples it looked completely smooth.

Theater-of-Dimples.jpgTheater-of-Dimples.jpg

3 months later
#74 9 years ago

Vid, when you CC a dimpled but otherwise in great shape modern Stern playfield, can you level out all the dimples? Will it dimple up again?

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Vid, when you CC a dimpled but otherwise in great shape modern Stern playfield, can you level out all the dimples? Will it dimple up again?

Yes, I level out all the dimples.

But, it will dimple again.

Once you get about 10000000 dimples, it will appear to be completely flat again.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Janka test (the way we determine the hardness of wood) is measured by the force required to drive a 1/2" steel ball 1/2 way into a piece of wood.
There is no wood harder than steel, so that is why they use a steel ball as a measuring device.
Maple (the wood use to make playfields) requires 1400 lbs of force to bury the ball 1/2 way.
Australian Buloke wood requires 5000 lbs of force; so in the larger scheme of things, Maple is not that hard of a wood.

Jhardnesstest.jpg 9 KB

what about bamboo

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

what about bamboo

#78 9 years ago

New Sterns like Star Trek and Mustang dimple Heavily and Fast!
Anyone else noticing this???

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

New Sterns like Star Trek and Mustang dimple Heavily and Fast!
Anyone else noticing this???

It only seems that way because:

1. The games are brand new, so every dimple stands out like a sore thumb. A few thousand more dimples and you will never notice them.

2. They are among the first pins to have a completely lit up playfield. They make TOM or WOZ look like most the lights are burned out.

#80 9 years ago

Yea, all the dimples makes me glad I didn't buy my AVLE NIB! Seems a shame that such a beautifully shiny playfield has to be damaged this way but as said earlier in this thread, the only way to avoid it is not to play it and that-ain't-happenin'!

#81 9 years ago

It seems like an easy thing to check, there should be a detectable ridge surrounding every post where the ball would never have been able to compress the playfield.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

2. They are among the first pins to have a completely lit up playfield. They make TOM or WOZ look like most the lights are burned out.

They make most games of the past look like the lights went out across the valley.

#83 9 years ago

i had to upgrade the GI on all my games after bringing in trek.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

1. The games are brand new, so every dimple stands out like a sore thumb. A few thousand more dimples and you will never notice them.

1. New or Old does not matter a thousand dimples off the bat is insane.
Thousands of dimples in no time isn't a quality clear coat.
2. These 2 games dimple like a mother F'r is my point and nothing can deny the fact that they do.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

1. New or Old does not matter a thousand dimples off the bat is insane.
Thousands of dimples in no time isn't a quality clear coat.

You are kind of missing the point of this entire thread.

No matter how hard a clear coat is applied to a wooden substrate, the wood below will dimple because steel is harder than wood.

-

Or if that does not make sense to you, think of it this way:

A clearcoat is 4 mils thick (.004").

If you took a piece of .004" thick steel foil, bonded it to the playfield and played a game of pinball, you would get a ton of dimples instantly. Thin steel is no match for a 1.06" diameter pinball.

Even your car hood, made of .06" thick steel (that's 15X thicker than a clearcoat), can not survive a pinball being dropped on it without denting.

Quoted from HighProtein:

2. These 2 games dimple like a mother F'r is my point and nothing can deny the fact that they do.

Of course they dimple, all games do.

You only see the dimples better on those 2 games because they are the first fully lit pinball playfields ever made.

1 week later
#86 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yes, I level out all the dimples.
But, it will dimple again.
Once you get about 10000000 dimples, it will appear to be completely flat again.

Until you get 10000001 dimples, then the process repeats itself

#87 9 years ago

only reason dimples look like ass, is when you have "less than 50 plays" on your HUO games. Play the hell out of them and you'll notice it less. ONce you hit 1000 games, you will be like, "what dimples?".

#88 9 years ago

Have to agree to the fact that all dimple, a matter of pure logic. Steel over wood

I have a st pro with 1000 balls played, see more dimples as with other pins but can be due to fact that it is a real bright lit pin. Also the ball goes really fast on this pin and guess the higher the speed the more it dimples. It is one of those 2 or the wood is softer

And all the people who think WOZ doesn't dimple, have a friend with a 4 weeks old WOZLE and guess what, it dimples. And yes, less to the human eye as with ST but it is a dark lit pin and ball speeds are less.

1 year later
#89 8 years ago

shrinkage.jpgshrinkage.jpg

Here we have a CPR Space Shuttle playfield.

About 3 years ago I restored a dozen of these machines when reproduction playfields became available.

This game is owned by the father of an actual NASA Shuttle astronaut.

The playfield had CPR's normal 2 coats of clear, plus it got 2 coats of clear from my shop (This one got actual DiamondPlate clearcoating, you can tell by the slightly cloudy inserts).

The playfields were sanded dead flat, and then were brought up to a mirror finish.

3 years latter, this game has only 52 plays in the audits. It sits in the client's basement and seldom gets used.

If you look closely, you can see that the wavy grain of the underlying wood has become visible in the high polish of the playfield.

Why?

1. The wood has taken up additional moisture while being stored in the client's basement.

2. No one ever plays the game, so the wood fibers have never been compressed flat.

#90 8 years ago

shrinkage-no.jpgshrinkage-no.jpg

Here, on the same playfield, you can see that over the plastic inserts, there is no shrinkage, so the clearcoat maintains it's flatness.

#91 8 years ago

It also has a lot to do with plywood quality. Back then, 5 or 7 layer plywood was the norm, with hardwood outer layers and cheap (pine) layers inside. Today there are similar plywoods available that have 2-3 times the layers using hardwoods throughout.
Makes a huge difference..

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Today there are similar plywoods available that have 2-3 times the layers using hardwoods throughout.

Right.

The more layers, the better the plywood (although it makes for a crappy looking shooter lane...).

#93 8 years ago

True. Baltic Birch is the product I use. Very stable and consistent. And not too damn expensive.

#94 8 years ago

I use Baltic Birch all the time; great wood, no voids in between the plys and waterproof glue throughout.

#95 8 years ago

Yep. If I were a pf manufacturer, they would all be 5/8" Baltic birch plywd. No reason not to.

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Yep. If I were a pf manufacturer, they would all be 5/8" Baltic birch plywd. No reason not to.

They have tried in the past.

Unfortunately, the face ply of BB is too thin, so trying to run the board through the sander to get all the inserts flush becomes a nightmare.

In addition, the Maple of a regular playfield is harder than Birch.

-

There were a few Mirco playfields floating around a few years ago that were cut from BB - you can tell by the funky shooterlane.

Baltic_Birch_shooterlane.jpgBaltic_Birch_shooterlane.jpg

#97 8 years ago

I didn't know that. I did a FH that I thought the Mirco pf was beautiful. JMO.
I actually liked the finish on that pf the best. But I have no idea how it has held up, as it is not in my possession anymore.

1 month later
#98 8 years ago

Here is a great shot of a Shadow playfield.

Note that all these dents are in the outlanes.

Because the outlanes get very little ball bounce action, the wood fibers are never fully compressed - so every dimple stands out like a sore thumb.

Shadow-dents.jpgShadow-dents.jpg

3 weeks later
#99 8 years ago

@Vid1900
Thanks for clearing that up to me, I am a newbie into Brand new Playfields and I was concerned.

#100 8 years ago

Who gives a flying F about dimpled wood? Seriously

If you do then we have some issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-dimple-reality-check/page/2?hl=hassanchop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.