(Topic ID: 12468)

Playfield decal installation - "wet" method advice?

By Benaar

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Whysnow
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FT-decal.jpg
#1 12 years ago

OK, before I spray windex or soapy water or whatever all over my new decal & playfield I'd love to hear from someone who's actually tried this. I'm installing a new boat overlay on my Fish Tales (see related post here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-decal-overlay).

I've removed the old decals, cleaned & leveled the inserts and cleaned the playfield. Normally I would just try my best to line things up and apply the new overlay but due to its size I'm worried about getting air bubbles under it. Anyone out there used the "wet" decal installation technique? Any suggestions and/or warnings?

Thanks in advance.

#2 12 years ago

I have done this with my HS, putting this on ebay.com link: HIGH SPEED Flipper Wear Area Fix Pinball Machine just dont use to much water. Its been 3 years and has held up well. Gotta position it quick, but you can move it around for placement! They sent me 2 extras in case I screwed up a couple times. I did ok on the first try, I got a few bubbles but nothing major or anything. Good luck with the install!

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

just dont use to much water

You used soapy water then as opposed to windex?

#4 12 years ago

Yes, you can use soapy water with a little white vinigar. This will keep the decal from sticking as long as you don't press it down too hard. Try to keep a corner up to retain control. Once it's lined up, hold it in place and squeegie the water outward from the center. You can use a piece of wood with a cloth wrapped around it if you don't have something better. You shouldn't have much trouble with bubbles. If there's anything wrong you should even be able to pull it off and start again while it's wet.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from Benaar:

Jeff_PHX_AZ said:just dont use to much water
You used soapy water then as opposed to windex?

No I didn't use soapy water! I was told to use only water and not much because like Betelgeuse said it will keep the decal from sticking and adhering once postioned. I didn't squeegie either but my decal is not as big as what your doing.

#6 12 years ago

I put window tint on with soapy water. It lets me put the tint in place and move it around them squeege the water out from the center. Only works with real tint, not cheap stuff. Have not tried it with decals on a pin but it works on tractors. My brother was a John Deere mechanic and he says that is how they install new decals on them.

1 month later
#7 12 years ago

Well I FINALLY got around to working on my Fish Tales & installed the decal last night. Used a bit of soapy water on the playfield & the decal and it went on great. I was able to slide it around just a little bit to get everything lined up perfectly & then squeezed the water out from underneath and mopped up with a dry washcloth. Turned out perfect.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

FT-decal.jpgFT-decal.jpg

#8 12 years ago

That looks fishy..

Great job! Looks sweet. I'm trying to find a FT myself

⌡ΘπΘδΘ

#9 12 years ago

Did you remove the old decals? or just go right over the top? Did you have to relevel any inserts?

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Did you remove the old decals? or just go right over the top? Did you have to relevel any inserts?

Yes, I did remove the old decals. In fact, I removed 2 sets because the previous owner had applied replacements over the top of the originals! I used some 600 grit sandpaper & Novus to clean and polish them but they didn't actually need re-levelling.

4 months later
#11 11 years ago

Do you have a pic of how you prepped just before putting the decal down?

#12 11 years ago

Benaar -- Did you clear over the pf decal or was your decal laminated so that no clear was needed?

#13 11 years ago

removing the old decal? the original playfield didn't have a decal. None of them do.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

removing the old decal? the original playfield didn't have a decal. None of them do.

Well... the stringer fish printing that chips up over the inserts looks like it would pretty much peel off like a decal. I think that was the question more than anything.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing, just removing all of the stringer fish and putting the new overlay on... I don't think it would be easy to line the decal up so precisely with the fish scales.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I suspect the previous owner had installed the individual fish decals that are available to repair the damage. That's what the OP likely had to remove prior to applying this much larger decal.

#16 11 years ago

What is the best way to fill insert chips prior to installing a new decal?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 1,159.00
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-decal-installation-wet-method-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.