Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Honch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WAFFLE.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

When your looking for a pin to buy does it matter to you if there is damage you can't see? Such as behind a ramp or under a cliffy, some place inconspicuous. I don't personally think it affects game value at all if it can't be seen. I have read some posts elsewhere, where people wouldn't buy pins with damage anywhere, even if they can't see it. I'm not sure how they could know that in most cases since you normally can't just take a playfield apart real quick or easy. Don't get me wrong, I like everything to be as nice as possible, but if you can't see it then it doesn't matter to me.

#2 12 years ago

Even if it is not visible it does devalue the pin IMO. Usually you want to fix wear if it is too bad before installing the cliffy protectors. It would not prevent me from buying it but I would point it out and likely reduce my offer a bit. The playfield is one of the most important things to me when looking at buying a pin the cab fade never really bothers me.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

The playfield is one of the most important things to me when looking at buying a pin the cab fade never really bothers me.

Im with you TDA. The playfield is the most important to me and cabinet fade is probably the least. You cant see the sides when they are lined up anyway. But any broken piece, plain view or not, knaws at me until I cant stand it anymore and fix it.

#4 12 years ago

Well Dude, I agree with you. The playfield is easily the most important thing as far as cosmetics go. I also am of the mindset that cabinet fade is not a real big deal. Especially if you have a bunch of pins side by side.

#5 12 years ago

I agree with the Dude, playfield condition is paramount and I don't much care about the cabinet art if the playfield is good. Any damage to it reduces the value, but obviously some more than others - a bit of wear a Cliffy covers up is fine with me, I accept that as normal now for machines that have had a hard working life, but I'd pay slightly more for one without that damage. Insert wear puts me right off any purchase, I'm a little more forgiving about touchups in invisible areas.

#6 12 years ago

I just like when people put a cliffy on with out fixing the worn out hole before installing the protector. I see a ton of that practice going on to sell a game !

The cliffy with be wasted and bent to crap no time ! Cliffy do not fix the damage PF ever! They only cover up worn off art work and will prevent future use ! If I see a cliffy on any game I automatically assume it is a high mileage game .

Jim

#7 12 years ago

Average machines have average wear. These are amusement devices that got abused and neglected for years. They are not museum pieces so if you go buy a machine for its average value, it will probably have an average amount of wear. Some of us land great deals, but pretty much any machine will have wear if you do a full tear down.

Even if a machine is properly maintained some designs lend to wear. Scoops close to the flippers tend to take a beating more so than ones on the upper half of the pf. At any rate it only affects the value if the wear is excessive for that particular type of machine.

In regards to cliffys some of us put them on their machines regardless of condition. It prevents wear, but also looks nice and adds value to the machine.

That being said I do not care if a machine has wear that is covered by cliffys as long as it was done right. Whoever put one on my newest acquisition used putty, but did not file it correctly so the cliffy is bent. I will eventually take it out, file it flat, and install a new cliffy. If I ever do let this particular machine go the buyer will not complain that it has wear. If they do, they can take a hike.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

The cliffy with be wasted and bent to crap no time

Jim
    I disagree, I had a CFTBL that had a lot of scoop wear and I had put a cliffy on and prevented any further damage. It was on there for a year and a half and the cliffy held up the whole time. The game was used frequently as well.

Quoted from dung:

In regards to cliffys some of us put them on their machines regardless of condition. It prevents wear, but also looks nice and adds value to the machine.

Dung,
    I agree, this seems to be the case with most collectors who take care of their pins. They like to bullet proof their games.

Quoted from system11:

Insert wear puts me right off any purchase, I'm a little more forgiving about touchups in invisible areas.

Insert wear is a nogo for me too. Anything visible that can't be fixed with a little touchup is a deal breaker.

#9 12 years ago

An averaged-priced game with Cliffy's (showing no wear outside the Cliffy) would be no big deal--and would not reduce the value.

But obviously, high dollar games would have Mantis protectors vs. Cliffy's--or they'd have the hyper-thin Blackline Cliffy's with little to zero wear prior to installation; and photos prior to the installation.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

An averaged-priced game with Cliffy's (showing no wear outside the Cliffy) would be no big deal--and would not reduce the value.

I think that's my main thing NM, no wear outside of the Cliffy. I probably wouldn't buy a pin that had wear that couldn't be covered. I do have a real good playfield touchup/repair guy around here, but it's a 3 to 6 month turn around to go that route.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Jim
    I disagree, I had a CFTBL that had a lot of scoop wear and I had put a cliffy on and prevented any further damage. It was on there for a year and a half and the cliffy held up the whole time. The game was used frequently as well.

I don't care if you disagree with your one time observation !! I have seen many times on many games !

Jim

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I don't care if you disagree with your one time observation !! I have seen many times on many games !

Jim

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Well JIMMY, your little observations don't mean shit to me either.

LOL You are a big baller with your big A title collection aren't you !

#14 12 years ago

Wowwwwwwwwww....
    It sounds like everyone could use a little late night snack.

WAFFLE.jpgWAFFLE.jpg

Waffles anyone???

#15 12 years ago

All this over cliffy protectors ... , lets play some pinball!

#16 12 years ago

#17 12 years ago

Nimble - a completely random picture always lightens the mood around here

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Goodluck going through life being a tool. I notice you pretty much troll every post anyway. Whatever floats your boat big guy.

Really ? You took my real advice and turned into junk with your one time no play game that you sold and have zero idea on what it looks like now ,right ?

Who's the troll? You are just pissed because I think your CV is nowhere near the value of a AFM !

Get over yourself already !

Nice one NimblePin!

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Really ? You took my real advise and turned into junk with your one time no play game that you sold and have zero idea on what it looks like now ,right ?

#20 12 years ago

I am talking about the troll comment. My info on the cliffy wasn't intended or directed at you ,it was info for people who might not know . You dissed on good info and I am sure cliffy would agree with me if ask !

I am not a tool but I do like the band ! Any other names you would like to call me ? I can take it !

Jim

#21 12 years ago

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I going to give it a rest, because I didn't want to get involved in this kind of posting

Then don't start it next time ! My post was to educate not to irritate !

I am sure you are a great guy and sometimes text can come across as harsh . Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way ! After all we are both pinheads .

Jim

#24 12 years ago

I can let it slide if you can. This is the best forum I've come across, and I don't want to turn it into facebook.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-damage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.