(Topic ID: 113386)

Playfield conversion to coffee Table - help - hints?

By pinnaf

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by bigdaddy1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

just completed full tear down of populated HEAVY METAL MELTDOWN playfield I picked up... my purpose in the purchase is to convert the playfield into a coffee table.

Has there been any other discussion in the pinside forum of this, what people did, used, helpful hints etc etc etc.. maybe just link me up? or ideas

MY MAIN 3 QUESTIONS:

-- I have never clear coated a playfield , but know folks do it... I just never had the gumption or time to get that into a restoration. but now that I have this playfield out and its down to all just wood- what should I do to put a nice shine onto it. I know there are flaws and wear on the playfield and that's okay, but want to just give it some shine. basically the short list.

1. do this stuff in this order - and the name of what you use to do the clear (automotive stuff? but need brand name or where you get it
    2. remove mylar?
    3. what other prep ... remember I am not doing touchup or trying to restore this to new status.

Pix to follow later and will hopefully be able to keep updating my progress, but it will be a slow drawn out procedure as its a "when times available job"

I love the game, have one in nice shape, and well, waited for someone to break down a game parting it out and got lucky.. The intial "wait" is over.. now the fun!

thanks for any ideas - suggestions - other pix from what others did, anything!

Kenny

#2 9 years ago

Well I found this on the web and like it. But it is populated..Using the legs for legs is nice.

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/MattIsgro/media/pballtable.jpg.html

#3 9 years ago

Sounds like way too much effort for a coffee table. No point in removing mylar or clearing it if you aren't going to do any touch ups. Besides, if you ever decide to sell it and someone DOES want to restore it, they won't want the burden of removing layers of clear first. Just clean it and use it as is. Are you going to repopulate it for the coffee table?

#4 9 years ago

that's a great job by the person that made the table (in the photo).... however to me it looks too much like , well, I want to actually play it....

thanks for the opinion dothedoo... I am still in the creation - idea - thinkin phase.. I don't plan on repopulating it.. I want the playfield for the art alone.

I think with the "clear coat" idea I think really what I am trying to do or say I want to do is put some shine to it... I have no thought of worrying about someone maybe going to rehabit it for a game at some point.. at best after I do what I do it will be WALL ART if someone hacks the table.

these opinions are appreciated and exactly what I want to hear! THANKS and merry Christmas!

#5 9 years ago

If you want to get rid of all the game specific parts i would love to have them.

Lmk pls

#6 9 years ago

may part with some, I have to determine what I want to keep and what I will post up or offer up. after holidays will go thru it all

kenny

2 months later
    #9 9 years ago

This one is mine. It needs to live on as a piece of art.

janesville.craigslist.org link

#10 9 years ago

I am doing this to a Slick Chick table, although am still in the "accumulating parts mode" as I want it to resemble as close as possible to "playable" even though it's a table - no need to remove the mylar, mylar will shine up nicely with the use of a car headlight abrasive or similar, followed by a nice waxing.

#11 9 years ago

I have for sale this nice coffee table with a KISS playfield mounted on it.

www.ebay.com/itm/351316083692

Robert

1.jpg1.jpg 2.jpg2.jpg 3.jpg3.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-conversion-to-coffee-table-help-hints and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.