Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Toads
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7297 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7295 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7292 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 3 years ago

I screwed up a clearcoat once by applying it too thick and not keeping it at proper curing temperature long enough. It behaves exactly as you are describing. I ultimately babied it with high (80-90 degree temperatures) for a couple weeks. It finally cured. I would use my nose and fingernail to test progress. Initially, it would really smell like fresh clear when the playfield was warmed, and I could dent it easily with my fingernail. Gradually, the smell decreased and my fingernail had a harder time leaving a mark until it finally stopped smelling and was hard.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Arcane:

Full sunshine exposition: many hours per day and many days in a row.
    It normally takes two months for a clearcoated car to have a very solid layer of clear. Car manufacturers speed up the process by baking the chassis.
    Yves

This was exactly my thinking that led me to the solution I posted above. The difference here is that we’re talking about a piece of painted plywood rather than a metal and plastic car body. Keep an eye on the playfield as you warm it in the sun that it doesn’t get so hot that it warps or delaminates. I had the playfield rails gently screwed on to help keep it flat.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

Two component low bake automotive series clearcoats, if baked according to the manufacturers datasheet, are considered fully cured after 72 hours. Some chemical reactions will continue after this, but they have essentially no effect on the paint properties. Probably after 6 hours you would not really notice that they are not cured. Most car manufacturers use one component clear coats on the sheet metal body, these are cured at a higher temperature than the two component systems and are “fully cured” even earlier after baking. There is no way that an auto manufacturer could allow longer durations before the clear is hard because the painted parts would be damaged during assembly. I’m not sure where some of these statements are coming that a paint requires months before being cured. If the clear is still soft after a few days then it was processed incorrectly. Possible reasons are wrong paint to hardener ratio, poor mixing, curing temperature too low, curing time too short, layer thickness too high, etc.
    Now I will say I have no idea what clearcoat products are used on playfields, how they are processed and how thick they are, but I would be surprised if, for instance, the furniture industry accepts significantly different clearcoat performance than automotive. From where I’m sitting, the scenario you described is unacceptable.

Playfields take longer because you can’t bake them like automotive parts. Painted plywood with glued in plastic inserts are waaaay more finicky and fragile.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-clear-question-too-soft?tu=pinheadpierre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.