Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by tsool
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

Hi guys, im really confused as to what i can use on the playfield surface itself on my 1993 Williams Indiana Jones?(not the plastics and ramps etc)

In between waxing when the playfield gets a little black but dosnt need the full wax job what do you use?

Some sites say no water based products and others say alcohol based can damage paintwork also?

Really appreciate the help,thanks

#2 13 years ago

I use novus 2 and some lint free cloths..I clean it a bit..then i put some more on and leave it for 15-20 mins..then rub it all off..works great IMO

#3 13 years ago

Same here, I cover the whole playfield plus ramps and plastics in a layer of Novus 2, then have a coffee. After 15-20 minutes I rub the Novus (which by then looks like it has dried up) with circular movements of a clean lintfree cloth. Makes the playfield a mirror and gameplay fassst!

#4 13 years ago

Hey thanks guys..gonna get me some Novus 2 then.

#5 13 years ago

Any car wax with carnuba does the same thing as novus 2. I use turtlewax every time.

#6 13 years ago

I've used turtlewax in the past when I just wanted a 'wax only' job on older pins and it works just fine. but in cleaning a new game is still kind of tough so far I use 'Mill Wax' out of South Dakota to clean the field 3-4 times will get the job done.
If you need a fast wax before people come over like on a pints & pinball night you can use Pledge or Behold (the yellow can) like juicing up you game on steroids it makes it that faster. But lastly if you have a game with black rings get rid of them order white ones, that black rubber breaks down and quickly ruins your playfield . Thats why you see games in such bad condition at the bars or other places they dont get serviced and the black crud is all over the place. you wont believe how nice your drop targets look after you go the white ring route- hope this helps some.

#7 13 years ago

Ya, I use pure carnauba wax on my playfields and it works awesome! I do them once a month or so and makes the games play like lightning!! A big bottle of it cost me 20 bucks and it will last forever! (just like in the movie Karate Kid) WAX on WAX off!!!!!!
Not too sure about using it on the plastics though. Sometimes on the clear plastics it takes a bit to get the smears out of it. I haven't really found a good product for the plastics. Everyone says that Novus works, but is there anything else?

3 years later
#8 9 years ago

I have dirt trails leading up to pop bumpers on my BOP and dirt trail on my left loop. Still use Novis 2 to get this dirt stained trail off?

#9 9 years ago

You can clean with Novus 2 but the trails in the ramp will probaly need
to be flame polished.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

You can clean with Novus 2 but the trails in the ramp will probaly need
to be flame polished.

I already got the ramps clean. I just don't want to rub in dirt. I am setting aside a day to remove a majority of the ramps and stuff to get this done. Novis ordered and on the way. I need to remove some mylar as well. Have some ball drop damage if anyone knows how to treat that.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

I have dirt trails leading up to pop bumpers on my BOP and dirt trail on my left loop.

Two different issues.

For the dirt trails use a cleaner like ZEP Heavy Duty Citrus Degreaser. Let it sit for a while and then wipe clean. If that doesn't do it, use Magic Eraser and alcohol. Don't get carried away because it is abrasive.

Do not flame polish a dirty ramp. You will just melt the dirt into the plastic. Also remove any scratches before flame polishing. By the time you get the scratches out you will have more than likely warped or bubbled the ramp.

Flush the ramp with Simple Green or something similar and then use Novus 2, or start with 3 if needed and then move to 2, to remove any remaining dirt and scratches. Once the dirt and scratches are removed you can finish with Novus 1 or flame polish if you so desire.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Two different issues.
For the dirt trails use a cleaner like ZEP Heavy Duty Citrus Degreaser. Let it sit for a while and then wipe clean. If that doesn't do it, use Magic Eraser and alcohol. Don't get carried away because it is abrasive.
Do not flame polish a dirty ramp. You will just melt the dirt into the plastic. Also remove any scratches before flame polishing. By the time you get the scratches out you will have more than likely warped or bubbled the ramp.
Flush the ramp with Simple Green or something similar and then use Novus 2, or start with 3 if needed and then move to 2, to remove any remaining dirt and scratches. Once the dirt and scratches are removed you can finish with Novus 1 or flame polish if you so desire.

I love me some Magic Eraser so I'm going that route. That thing has brought back so many of my arcade games I swear by it. Thanks for the info on this. I think with my inbound LEDs and Novis my game will be looking great within a few days. Trying to find info on wood filling these damaged areas on my playfield now.

#13 9 years ago

For the playfield, I have used carnuba paste wax only, use a micro fiber cloth to buff the wax off. Avoid using polishes/ cut polish, they contain abrasives. To test for abrasives, put a small amount on your finger, then rub your thumb into it, you if you feel any grit at all, I would not use it. Apply the wax in light coats, two or even three coats, instead of one thick layer. Some people use the new High Tech polymer finish wax, these usally contain silicone. I am not sure if it is ok for the playfield. I would avoid the old style green liquid Turtle Wax Hard Shell. The old Turtle Hard Shell sticks easily to rubber and plastics and can be hard to remove. Just one guys' opinion.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

Trying to find info on wood filling these damaged areas on my playfield now.

Let us know what you're trying to do and someone will help I'm sure.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Let us know what you're trying to do and someone will help I'm sure.

I will take pictures and post them. I just have 3 minor playfield damage spots at the 2 ramp ball drop spots and 1 in front of the right bumper. Wish this forum ran on my Iphone with tapatalk so I could post fast and easy.

#16 9 years ago

I tried waxing the playfield for the first time in my pin career last night. Awesome result with your suggestions!

I went to Lowes, got the Turtlewax, applied it, waited 20 minutes and now my pin in wicked-fast REALLY! One of the best suggestions I have gotten out of this forum so far... No need for Novus - the turtlewax works just great.

Question: Can I use it for the plastic ramps as well or would they become blurred because of that?

THANKS again!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grosse Pointe, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!