Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200411_171523 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zsuttle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I'm going over my 75' Gottlieb as the playfield looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a good while. I can't seem to figure out how much cleaning is too much. I've read a bunch of topics on it and everyone says to just go slow. (And I've been moving at a snail's pace) I'm using 99% isopropyl and an ME. What does paint damage actually look like when you've scrubbed too much? Does the pigment show up on the ME? Or is it purely playfield damage?Should the colors on the playfield match the bright colors underneath the posts and such when clean? (The playfield is definately darker) Just trying to get a feel for what's just right so that I don't over do it. I'll be touching up and clear coating the playfield after.

#3 4 years ago

I've read both, and those are actually what I'm using for my restoration. The issue is that I'm seeing damage without seeing any pigment. Attached is what I'm mainly seeing. I assume it was because there was dirt or something, but I swear that it wasn't there when I started cleaning, and now I'm seeing these little grooves in the grain.

20200411_171523 (resized).jpg20200411_171523 (resized).jpg
    #5 4 years ago

I was cleaning the alcohol off with naphtha after wiping with it. I wasn't sure about novus, I've heard a lot of mixed things, then again, this whole process has a lot of mixed opinions. I'll be doing touchup work with my airbrush anyways, so it's not a huge deal, but I'm surprised I didn't see any paint on the ME

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zsuttle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-cleaning-too-much?tu=Zsuttle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.