Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by ebjimmyg
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

W-41_9_09.jpg
    clay.jpg
    0017119_300.jpg
    brillianize.jpg
    p21s.jpg
    mothers2.jpg
    mothers1.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Some of you know I am a complete NUT when it comes to keeping my playfields sparkling. I just wanted to share what I do to maintain them as I always see discussions on what is the best cleaning/polishing setup.

This is my method to produce mirror finishes that don't leave ball trails.

(PS this picture was taken with a shit camera).

// Error: Image 27891 not found //

I start by cleaning the playfield initially with Novus 2 as most of us do. Its a very good for cleaning and stripping any existing wax or buildup. However be gentle with it as it is a bit abrasive and NEVER use it in a circular pattern. Those of you with Black cars understand the reason behind this. SWIRL MARKS! (No wax on wax off Daniel san) Gentle back and forth removes most anything unless its really grimy.

Then I move on to the wax.. Most of you use Mothers which is a good wax but you also have to make sure you are using the right one.

Some people buy this one:

mothers1.jpgmothers1.jpg

This is the WRONG wax as it has a built in compounding agent. That's why its called a "cleaner wax"

If there is a mothers you should use, its this:

mothers2.jpgmothers2.jpg

Pure Brazilian Carnauba wax. This however is also misleading as its only 60% Carnauba. The rest are binders and polymers used for adhesion.

The wax I use while about 20 dollars more than the Mothers is 100% pure Carnauba. This helps leave zero film on after removal and you don't get any ball trails as those are essentially marks in the finish which have to be rubbed out and then subsequently reapplied.

Enter.. P21S:

p21s.jpgp21s.jpg

Finally between full waxing's I use something a bit unorthodox which some may know of but I use in lieu of Novus 1 and its called Brillianize.

http://www.brillianize.com/index.html

brillianize.jpgbrillianize.jpg

It cleans whatever surface dirt sit's on top of the P21S without removing it leaving a ridiculous mirror shine. It's also great as you can figure on any plastics and even metal pieces.

Now if you find yourself with black grime in places like the shooter lane, invest in some claybar. The automotive guys know all about it. It's great for removing just about anything from a paint surface..

clay.jpgclay.jpg

Using the Brillianize as a lubricant rub the claybar over the surface dirt and watch it come right up. I'd use this over Mr Clean Magic Eraser because if used improperly the eraser will take a layer of clear or paint with it.

Please NO flame wars as to why this product and that product sucks. This post is meant to be informative as to how I maintain machines, nothing more

#2 11 years ago

I do the same. Novus 2 lightly and then wax. I use Pro Yellow Wax. Contains no fillers and doesn't leave any residue when removing.

http://www.prowax.com/waxes/W-41_Yellow_Wax_Paste.html W-41_9_09.jpgW-41_9_09.jpg

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

I do the same. Novus 2 lightly and then wax. I use Pro Yellow Wax. Contains no fillers and doesn't leave any residue when removing.
    http://www.prowax.com/waxes/W-41_Yellow_Wax_Paste.html

Nice! I'll get some and give it a go!

#4 11 years ago

Alexlevy,

That is a wonderful resource for people who are both new and OLD to pinball! Turns out... Mine wasn't pure Carnauba when I checked it! looks like I'll be buying the good stuff... Today! Thanks!

-Aaron

#5 11 years ago

I used mothers 3 for a little while but, it made the house smell like shit (bubble gum/suntan lotion). Gave me a headache and it lingers for days. The paste worked ok, but it's thin. The liquid is just a mess. I stay away from novus 2,3. I experimented with different waxes over the years, and found Collinite to be the best so far. This is all I use.

0017119_300.jpg0017119_300.jpg

#6 11 years ago

This is the post on RGP I found recommending Pro Yellow Wax.

"I use a wax made by a company called PRO yellow wax. Its pure carnuba.
    I have been detailing cars for many years and I have found that this stuff
    is the best wax I've ever run into. Chris is right. Mothers smells GREAT,
    and its a good wax, but Pro is better. Wax is rated by the heat level at
    which it begins to break down. Mothers and Meguiars are both excellent
    products. They are rated at around 120. Simply put, when the surface
    reaches 120 degrees, the wax will begin to break down. Pro Yellow wax is
    rated at 170. Your playfield will not reach 120. If it does, you should
    seriously consider switching to another set of bulbs, but that is just an
    example of the quality of this wax. It's not super expensive either - about
    15 bucks. It can be used on almost anything. I use it for cars (a LOT of
    them), pinballs and my supplier uses it on his wooden furniture. The other
    nice thing about a pure carnuba wax is you can build it up. Because there
    are no cleaners and its 100% pure, you can put several coats of wax on the
    playfield. I have heard guys tell me they use Meguiars cleaner/wax and they
    have "4 coats of wax on this baby..." I dont have the heart to tell them
    they have one coat of wax, 4 times. You see, with a cleaner wax, when you
    wax, you also clean the surface. As you go around your project for the
    second time, you're stripping off the product you just applied during the
    first coat....

I have a firend who has about 25 years experience with pinballs and has
    always been a car guy. He and his wife (who is also into both hobbies) were
    over playing pinball not long ago. They asked what I was using to wax the
    playfield because "...The playfields are really fast...". I told them and
    provided them with some product which they have not yet used. I imagine
    they will be asking for more.

One can will last you for about a million years. I go through about
    3 cans/year and I clean about 125 cars/year (and 10 pinballs). "

#7 11 years ago

Great thread guys...when you say use Novus 2 "lightly"...what exactly does that mean

Just picked up some of this p21s..thx

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

I used mothers 3 for a little while but, it made the house smell like shit (bubble gum/suntan lotion). Gave me a headache and lingers for days. The paste worked ok, but it's thin. The liquid is just a mess. I experimented with different waxes over the years, and found Collinite to be the best so far. This is all I use.

Attachments 0017119_300.jpg (50 KB, 0 downloads) 6 minutes old

I used to use Collinite 476s and you are correct on how good it is.. It really is that good.. my problem was it was TOO good.

I'll explain. I waxed over some imperfections I figured i would fix later. After about 2 days I couldn't get it off. Had to novus 3 through it. Even Dawn wouldn't remove it. It's essentially formulated for Marine use so its rock solid after being applied.

I would ABSOLUTELY use it on a NIB pin or a NOS playfield. On a pin that may need maintenance every once in a while I felt like my elbow was going to snap

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Great thread guys...when you say use Novus 2 "lightly"...what exactly does that mean

Leave the elbow grease out of the equation when using it to clean the playfield. Just have a light touch as it has minor abrasive properties. Now on metals? Scrub away.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Use Novus 2 with a terry cloth towel going back and forth on the pf. Even though I tend to go in more of a circular pattern than back and forth, I try to mix it up. Just don't apply a lot of pressure to the rag. Don't press down hard. Just let the novus do the work, not your body weight.

#11 11 years ago

I wish I had a cleaning regiment; I have to do it all myself.

Thanks for all the tips; now I know I've been using the wrong wax.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I wish I had a cleaning regiment; I have to do it all myself.
    Thanks for all the tips; now I know I've been using the wrong wax.

LOL just realized that. Changed the wording.

#13 11 years ago

Good to see that others have found how good automobile detailing products work on pins! I've been detailing cars for a long time so I know what I like, what works, how it works, and what doesn't.

The P21S car wax is a good product, but I wouldn't bother using it on a PF because it just isn't durable enough in my opinion.

The Collinite products are great. I personally use the Collinite 845 fleet wax. Very durable, and does not leave any residue behind at all, wipes away perfectly clean. Just apply very thin.

The thing I don't like about Novus 2 to clean a playfield is that it is so messy. I use Optimum's Polyseal, or Klasse All in One to clean a playfield. Even though they are also liquids, they don't seem to leave as much residue behind to get in the cracks of star posts etc compared to Novus 2. The Polyseal has some mild abrasives in it so it can also be used to gently polish the PF with a buffer.

This is the buffer I use to polish a PF safely:

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-orbital-polisher.html

#14 11 years ago

One other point: I know a lot is made of using "100% Carnauba wax" only on a PF. I can understand why there is the recommendation for the non-clearcoated playfields, but it doesn't make sense for the ones that have a clear coat on them. There is nothing wrong with polymers being used. In fact, quite the opposite is true. Most waxes that are a blend of carnauba with polymers will work better and last longer than the ones that only have carnauba.

#15 11 years ago

I never thought to use a clay bar but that is an awesome idea. thanks!

#16 11 years ago

Is novus 2 and carnuba wax okay to use on mylar?

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

One other point: I know a lot is made of using "100% Carnauba wax" only on a PF. I can understand why there is the recommendation for the non-clearcoated playfields, but it doesn't make sense for the ones that have a clear coat on them. There is nothing wrong with polymers being used. In fact, quite the opposite is true. Most waxes that are a blend of carnauba with polymers will work better and last longer than the ones that only have carnauba.

True for playfields with an automotive clear. Those using a water based varathane it's a bit too harsh IMO.

I only use p21s maybe once a quarter and it's super durable. I found the fleet wax "chipped" in spots where there are balls that leave the playfield and shoot back like sttng cannon shots.

It all comes down to what works for that person. I'm open to trying anything new when it comes to protecting an investment. For example I use only Zaino on my show/concours cars but it's liquid which makes it a pia to use on a pin.

#18 11 years ago

Okay, so what I've learned from this thread is that I won't be spending 50$ on a can of wax...lol.. wowzers. I'm going to give the Yellow Wax a shot on my STTNG. Don't want the one above where the wax is flaking off from ball impacts from the cannons/borg ship!

I'm all for durability, but don't want to be picking off wax flakes.

#19 11 years ago

Great thread and very informative. I have been doing light cleaning with NOVUS 1 of late but wanted to dig deeper into my maintenance and getting a nicer shine. Is a terry cloth recommended for all these different cleaning procedures to wax and shine? Or are those automotive heavy duty paper towels ok too?

Also I have an older EM game with a PF that's it great shape but has some swirl marks and dulling colors....is ME with the alcohol recommended or would this CLAY BAR stuff be a safer route to clean this up a bit?

Keep the tips coming....love this stuff!

#20 11 years ago

Carnauba wax in 100% form is as solid as a rock. You can't spread it.

Any wax that claims to be 100% carnauba isn't. It has to be 'cut' with something so it can be spread. Solvents, other softer waxes, etc.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Carnauba wax in 100% form is as solid as a rock. You can't spread it.
    Any wax that claims to be 100% carnauba isn't. It has to be 'cut' with something so it can be spread. Solvents, other softer waxes, etc.

100% correct read p21s website. They say this exact thing.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Great thread and very informative. I have been doing light cleaning with NOVUS 1 of late but wanted to dig deeper into my maintenance and getting a nicer shine. Is a terry cloth recommended for all these different cleaning procedures to wax and shine? Or are those automotive heavy duty paper towels ok too?
    Also I have an older EM game with a PF that's it great shape but has some swirl marks and dulling colors....is ME with the alcohol recommended or would this CLAY BAR stuff be a safer route to clean this up a bit?
    Keep the tips coming....love this stuff!

Terry cloth(Egyptian cotton) or microfiber are the way to go. I wouldn't use a shop towel.

Try the clay bar in an inconspicuous place first. I can't comment on the condition of the em playfield but as long as nothing is chipping you should be good with claybar and novus1 as a lube if you have it.

9 months later
    #23 11 years ago

I use Chemical Guys WAC_301 XXX Hard Core Pure White Carnauba Paste Wax and Advanced Polymers - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UWQFKY/ref=wms_ohs_product

#24 11 years ago

never thought of using the Brillianize on the playfield, use it on the glass and backglass though. interesting.....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-cleaning-regiment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.