(Topic ID: 80415)

Playfield Cleaning: I can't get the swirl marks out!

By scubadiver6

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Hellfire
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Xenon before after.PNG
#1 10 years ago

Hello Everybody -

I've been trying to clean my Taxi playfield with very little success. Perhaps because I'm too timid...

I've been trying to scrub out the swirl marks with a combination of 91% alcohol and a brand-new Magic Eraser. I picked out an inconspicuous area last night and 'really' scrubbed it - for a good 20-30 seconds - pushing as hard as I could. It doesn't look that much different. The Magic Eraser didn't look too dirty, also.

I've also tried Novus 2 and 3 and Simple Green....

Naturally, as I'm very new to this hobby, I'm concerned about ruining this playfield.... When you guys use the combination of a Magic Eraser and alcohol, are you vigorously scrubbing the entire surface with tons of elbow grease, or is the combination of the alcohol and Magic Eraser doing most of the work for you?

Can anybody think of something else I can try, or am I better off living with it the way it is?

Bob

#2 10 years ago

Be VERY careful with that Magic Eraser. Very easy to scrub right through the paint to bare wood.

My advice: Get all the gunk off of the pf that is there right now (using novus or whatnot), apply some wax, and play it! You can use a Magic Eraser to get out some ball swirls and ground in dirt from cracks, but it is not a miracle tool that will make it shine like a brand new clear coated PF.

#3 10 years ago

op... always remember... the enemy of "good enough" is "better"...

judicious use of magic erasers can get you to "good enough"...

non-judicious use will definitely result in "not better"...

#4 10 years ago

After using ME and alcohol and when I get too nervous to use it anymore, I've had good luck using an auto clay bar with lubricate.
http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

After using ME and alcohol and when I get too nervous to use it anymore, I've had good luck using an auto clay bar with lubricate.
http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

I would not use this on non-clearcoated PFs.

#6 10 years ago

I primarily work on early SS Bally/Stern games with lacquer finishes and never had a problem. I can't speak to the Williams games. Here is a before and after pic of a Xenon PF I am working on. I started with ME and alcohol and finished with clay.
Xenon before after.PNGXenon before after.PNG

#7 10 years ago

it works fine on non clearcoated fields, but your never going to get all the swirls out. With taxi it's ground in so hardcore, your going to have a hard time getting it out. When I do taxis, I do it until the gray gets light, and that's about as far as you can go. IT's not going to be perfect. There is no way to get ball swirls out of light colors 100%.

#8 10 years ago

Chemical cleaning & reconditioning

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 109.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-cleaning-question-cant-get-the-swirl-marks-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.