10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by yonkiman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (3).JPG
    #1 10 years ago

I've torn down my Getaway playfield for the first time - only posts, jets, and slingshots still poking out. It's in fairly good condition for having never been restored, but it's pretty dirty as you'd expect. So I'm at the point where I want to start cleaning it and I have a few questions:

1) Is there a good guide for a "player's" playfield cleaning? So much of what I read around here requires equipment I don't have (like tumblers, air compressors, enough workspace), work that I don't want to do because I'm already petrified that I'll never be able to put this machine back together (like removing the entire wiring harness and washing it), or work that I can't do because mechanically...I am the opposite of gifted. So how can I get the playfield looking good, waxed, and all the metal and plastic clean enough that the playfield doesn't immediately start collecting debris, etc.?

2) I'm about to start cleaning the playfield - I cleaned off all the loose, surface crap off with simple green. Next I plan to use Novus 2, then Novus 1, then carnuba. Please correct me if I'm doing something terribly wrong, but after reading a ton about this it appears that a) no one agrees what is the best process, and b) enough people think that sequence is OK I thought I'd try it for my first time (not trying to start another debate). My question is: what should I do about these?
    photo 2 (3).JPGphoto 2 (3).JPG
    Should I flatten them first? I don't have the painting chops to do touch-ups, and most aren't visible when everything's installed. I just don't want my rag to catch on an edge and rip up a bit of wood?

3) What the heck are these for?
    photo 1 (2).JPGphoto 1 (2).JPG
    Just a piece of metal tied down with two screws. Do these keep the playfield from exploding?

Cheers...

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from yonkiman:

3) What the heck are these for?

The apron slides in there...

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from motorbreth77:

The apron slides in there...

D'OH! Obviously I'm not a golfer...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-cleaning-non-perfectionist-style and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.