• 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0017119_300.jpg
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

It didnt do it before I waxed it.

#52 11 years ago

I remember your thread on this issue, didn't new rubbers fix the problem?

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

.For about a week the playfield was so slick the balls would slide under the slings and get stuck inside them.

That is a classic sign of the wrong rubber (too large diameter ring) or old rubber.

Williams would not tell you to wax a playfield so that the game would go out of service.

#54 11 years ago

It eventually got better but I already had new rubbers on it.The slings on that thing are strong.Maybe I got wax on the rubbers but I dont think so.

#55 11 years ago

Changing out the pinballs in the game often will help prevent pf wear.

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

It eventually got better but I already had new rubbers on it

Probably the wrong rubber.

Oftentimes a vendor that puts the rubber kits together will not have an odd size (lets say the 2-3/8") so they will put a 2-1/2" in the kit.

This will be too loose.

Also, make sure you have the correct star posts around your slings - over the years operators may have put in anything they had on the truck.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Changing out the pinballs in the game often will help prevent pf wear.

You are so right.

I examine the balls every time I have the glass off for nicks.

I replace them every year, or before and after any expo where I put a game in.

#58 11 years ago

That must be it cause I know lots of people wax them and dont have the problems I have.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

First, most of us are not new to pinball.

If this was RGP, I might agree. Here on Pinside, there is an abundance of noobs.

Quoted from vid1900:

If you are talking about Williams, Bally or Gottlieb, waxing the playfield is recommended by the manufacturer.

Stern doesn't recommend wax. That's the games I'm talking about. Don't wax your brand new Stern. I haven't seen any recommendation in my WMS games for wax. I'll look again.

Quoted from vid1900:

Third, if you enter any tournaments, you better get used to how a game is supposed to feel, because everyone waxes their playfields

Again, there isn't many folks here who play in tournaments here. This is pinside. Not RGP2. My Ripley's is being used in the tournament at CAX this weekend. I didn't wax it and I've had nothing but compliments on the game. I've been bringing games to the CAX tournament for years and I think the only one I ever waxed was a tired old Taxi.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

I saw on a separate webpage a review of cleaning the surfaces..
Someone mentioned Simple Green as an initial cleaner..

Is this safe for the pf and the ramps/clear plastic trails.

Also what is best for polishing/keeping the brass habitrails polished and clean?

I don't think Simple Green would be a problem, but it's not the best choice for the playfield (although I do use it for plastics). I use ZEP citrus degreaser for the playfield. It will clean the playfield and remove old wax. Some people use Alcohol or Naptha for the same reason. In any case spray the cleaner onto your towel not onto the playfield. Wipe it dry when you're done.

Brasso, or anything like that, works fine for metal habitrails or you can use Nevr-Dull (Walmart sells it), which also works better than anything I've found on gun metal blue ramp flaps.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I haven't seen any recommendation in my WMS games for wax.

I have the WH2O manual right now on my desk and on page 1-38 it states: Playfield Wax or any Carnauba based wax....

That is how WMS intended their games to play. Fast and slick. Get used to it.

Quoted from phishrace:

Here on Pinside, there is an abundance of noobs....Don't wax your brand new Stern

So you think that the noobs are buying $7000 brand new Sterns?

Week after next, I'm going to ask Steve Ritchie personally if he designed AC/DC to have a waxed playfield.

What does everyone here think his answer will be? LOL

#62 11 years ago

This is the stuff I use. The Collinite marine wax listed above is also excellent.
This XXX from Chemical Guys is 47% pure carnauba and one of the longest lasting waxes I've tried.
It also applies and comes off way better than any junk I've bought from a big box store.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Nr_1_Grade_Yellow_Carnauba_Automotive_Paste_Wax_p/wac_301.htm

If I've just clearcoated a playfield, or on a brand new game, I also apply Chemical Guys Top Coat Sealant and then I layer 2-3 layers of the XXX wax over top of that. This stuff actually bonds to the clear and gives you maximum protection. No help with divots though you gotta let that clearcoat cure to minimize that type of damage.

As for making the game play differently. I just think it makes the game play like new
You certainly want your ball to roll over the playfield and not glide, but that's usually gone in 10-15 games. A couple of coats of this stuff should last you a lot longer than that.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Absolutely. I see threads on it all the time.

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Absolutely... rich noobs, but noobs nonetheless
This hobby is becoming more and more elitist and that's bringing in a whole other kind of enthusiast/collector who's got money but not the skills or experience to maintain or repair a pin. That equals $7000 NIB.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So do I, but I just don't picture them being the majority, but maybe they are.

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So do I, but I just don't picture them being the majority, but maybe they are.

Sure I didn't mean that.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No offense taken!

If you would rather not have new money coming in to the industry... well nvm, us noobs are addicted and aren't going anywhere

#68 11 years ago

Will a heavy degreaser like a good-b-gone product wreck a play surface?

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Will a heavy degreaser like a good-b-gone product wreck a play surface?

Really, there is no need for such a heavy cleaner.

Some Novus #1 is good to just do a quick wipe down. Spray it on a lint free cotton cloth (not directly on the playfield) and wipe. Make sure you clean the in and out lanes.

Any dirt or grit left will accelerate playfield wear.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Week after next, I'm going to ask Steve Ritchie personally if he designed AC/DC to have a waxed playfield.

Are you going to ask if there's a difference in his opinion between routed games and low use HUO games?

Be sure to tell him phish says hi (we used to be neighbors). Ask him how I saved his ass during Spidey. It's a funny story.

#71 11 years ago

On the advice of the guy who sold me his CFTBL, I only use Gemini CP-100. It was designed by a chemist to clean and polish pinball playfields. I just wish Terry at PBL would pick it up. Marco sells it.

No wax. My pins are not on location, not exposed to sunlight, don't need wax.

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Are you going to ask if there's a difference in his opinion between routed games and low use HUO games?

No, of course not.

I'm only going to ask if he designed AC/DC to be played with a waxed playfield.

#73 11 years ago

Our questions have been answered:

Q:

Steve, Do you recommend waxing the playfields on new Sterns like AC/DC? The Stern site say just to use Novus 2, but nothing about finishing up with wax. My instinct says "Of course, wax that playfield!" , but what says the master? Thank you very much, Vadeem

A:

Wax it with a good carnauba car wax. It must be done carefully. Don't get the wax down in holes or on parts you don't want to wax. It works very well and will help keep your playfield nice. Take care and enjoy!

Steve

#74 11 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. In your opinions, how many game plays before replacing flipper rubbers, balls, and cleaning ? I know it probably varies from machine to machine, but I'm simply looking for a point of reference. Thanks again !!

- Kevin

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Lol, yes and a bunch of them : o

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from ChiroCop:

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. In your opinions, how many game plays before replacing flipper rubbers, balls, and cleaning ? I know it probably varies from machine to machine, but I'm simply looking for a point of reference. Thanks again !!
- Kevin

I do it between 400-500 games. That's about 3-4 months worth at my house.

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from ChiroCop:

how many game plays before replacing flipper rubbers, balls, and cleaning ?

Rubber every year. It degrades just from being exposed to oxygen and ozone. Rubber is cheap - do it.

Balls every year, but inspect them every time you have glass off. Any scratches nicks or chips and they all get replaced. I always replace balls before and after any expos - you get a lot of plays over those 4 days! Balls are cheap ($1.50 for the super polished) do it.

Cleaning any time you have the glass off, home use every 3 months. I know it's work, but be sure to clean and wax your in and out lanes - you don't want to wear through the paint in these locations. Pay extra attention to where a ball drops from a ramp or out of a hole. Extra wax or even a Mylar spot or Cliffy.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from ChiroCop:

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. In your opinions, how many game plays before replacing flipper rubbers, balls, and cleaning ? I know it probably varies from machine to machine, but I'm simply looking for a point of reference.

in addition to what Tommi_Gunn stated above, I always perform a cursory check of the flipper rubbers when you start up my machine. flipper rubbers that are getting dirty fast are an indication that [abrasive] dirt particles are sitting on your playfield.

it's not only a good idea to change out the flipper rubbers, but check your pinballs for chips and cuts and give your playfield a good wipeout down with novus 1 (or what have you).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-cleaning-and-waxing/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.