Foto.JPG
NR_beforeafter.jpg
NR_full.jpg
Foto 1.JPG
Foto 2.JPG
image-707.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Below are a couple pics of a Elvira playfield I can't seem to remove the black swirl marks on a otherwise nice playfield. Any ideas or am I stuck with a very dirty playfield?

image.jpgimage.jpg image-707.jpgimage-707.jpg
#2 10 years ago

Also I might add that I tried wildcat playfield cleaner, novus 2 and magic eraser with 70% alcohol.. Not sure how hard to scrub with the magic eraser?

#3 10 years ago

scrub harder it will come off with the proper amount of elbow grease.

#4 10 years ago

I keep hearing that if you scrub you take the finish off and dull whats left... Guess I will scrub harder! lol

#5 10 years ago

Simple green and a magic eraser. But be careful how hard you scrub you will bring up paint.

#6 10 years ago

Simple green on elvira party monsters?? what about incredible hulk?

#7 10 years ago

is it better to leave the black marks and live with them then take the chance of taking paint off?

#8 10 years ago

I did used it on my HS restore with no problems.

Quoted from SwampMan:

Simple green on Elvira party monsters?? what about incredible hulk?

I wouldn't see why not. If you aren't sure try and area where you can't see like the upper playfield around a plastic

#9 10 years ago

did you clear coat after you got it all cleaned up?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from SwampMan:

did you clear coat after you got it all cleaned up?

Yes

#11 10 years ago

did you send it to someone and how much did they charge for that?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from SwampMan:

did you send it to someone and how much did they charge for that?

A local friend (tatman999 on Pinside) did it for me. Usually you don't pay more then $250 for a clear coat job no matter who does it.

#13 10 years ago

Someone posted on here a while back that they used some brand of cleaner that was originally used to clean sinks and tile, and it worked great and made dirty playfields a breeze to clean (and a bunch of people chimed in and agreed that the stuff worked great), but I can't find the post, and can't remember the name of the cleaner. Anyone remember the post, or the name of the cleaner?

#14 10 years ago

If it's the same post I read, one person asked about using tile cleaner to clean a playfield and a bunch of people whose opinions I respect said it was an exceptionally bad idea.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from PinWiz17:

Simple green and a magic eraser. But be careful how hard you scrub you will bring up paint.

Be careful with the magic eraser that thing it like high grain sand paper..

#16 10 years ago

the treasure cove cleaning kit was magnificent!

#17 10 years ago

This sounds strange and I haven't tried it but a Tech that worked on my WOZLE and RFM said to first clean the PF with bug and tire cleaner then wax it. Anyone else ever heard of this or tried it?

#18 10 years ago

Novus 2 for 99% of cleaning needs.

Dirt in swirl marks is below the surface (embedded) and Magic Eraser and alcohol work well to clean it out. Tread lightly and it will look great, get heavy handed or impatient and you can make it worse by damaging the paint.

Once clean you need to wax / clearcoat over it or the dirt will collect there again.

#19 10 years ago

I have heard of using low grade oven cleaner but this sounds like a bad idea to me.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

I have heard of using low grade oven cleaner but this sounds like a bad idea to me.

Many oven cleaners are a caustic lye base and very aggressive, great for cleaning nasty legs off the machine but crazy to have anywhere near a playfield.

#21 10 years ago

Be really careful, it's not hard at all to take that green paint up on EATPM with a magic eraser, and good luck color matching it. When I did my restore I ended up repainting every bit of green with a new pearlescent, but it's a crapload of tedious masking.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Be careful with the magic eraser that thing it like high grain sand paper..

I used it with no problems. But I agree you do have to be careful with it. It's the best way to get those ball marks off.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Goalerj:

This sounds strange and I haven't tried it but a Tech that worked on my WOZLE and RFM said to first clean the PF with bug and tire cleaner then wax it. Anyone else ever heard of this or tried it?

I read about someone doing it that way and they said it worked fine. Another well know member on here says to ditch the Novis, and use Mothers Mag wheel polish (you can buy it in AutoZone and Walmart). He says it is cheaper, and does an amazing job on cleaning swirl marks and every thing. I think all these methods were compaired in the thread with the tile cleaner. To clarify the tile cleaner, it wasn't a sprayon cleaner, but in paste form like the mothers mag wheel polish. Lastly I heard someone say they used scrubbing bubbles to clean a playfield also, but I don't know how that turned out

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

I read about someone doing it that way and they said it worked fine. Another well know member on here says to ditch the Novis, and use Mothers Mag wheel polish (you can buy it in AutoZone and Walmart). He says it is cheaper, and does an amazing job on cleaning swirl marks and every thing. I think all these methods were compaired in the thread with the tile cleaner. To clarify the tile cleaner, it wasn't a sprayon cleaner, but in paste form like the mothers mag wheel polish. Lastly I heard someone say they used scrubbing bubbles to clean a playfield also, but I don't know how that turned out

A lot of these suggestions in this thread sound dangerous. Why suggest something you havent tried yourself? I see a lot of newbs damaging their playfields with some of this stuff.

Cal50 got it right. It works, and don't go crazy with all this other stuff until you have tested it on a wrecked playfield.

#25 10 years ago

Personally I use Dri-Wash and Guard, its a spray on cleaner wax that I have used on my classic cars and daily drivers. It is safe for all clear coats on vehicles and does a great detailing shine. On the pinballs its does a good job of removing light to mediums dirt on the playfield and leaves a quick layer of protection on the surface. It cuts down on the hard waxing of the playfield to about three times a year.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

A lot of these suggestions in this thread sound dangerous. Why suggest something you havent tried yourself? I see a lot of newbs damaging their playfields with some of this stuff.

Great point joejet.

#27 10 years ago

Interesting never heard of that before..

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

This is a very bad idea. Oven cleaner can be used to strip paint off of plastic. Oven cleaner if used carefully will not damage some plastics. It will definitely remove paint.

#29 10 years ago

I read the same thing. I need to get mine out of the garage and try it. I think it says it is safe for coated wheels (same as clear coat on pins). The stuff works wonders on dirty wheels so it makes sense that it would work. You are right about the post about the tile cleaner, it was in a paste form, not a spray like scrubbing bubbles. I wish I could find the post because I would be a Guinea pig for the group and give it a try.

#30 10 years ago

wondering if the treasure cove cleaning kit will remove ball swirls?

#31 10 years ago

I can only suggest to avoid rubbing compounds and wheel polish for metal wheels. On your playfield. The playfield paint is very thin.
Metal Wheel Polish will do a very impressive job on the chrome pinball machine legs.

There are paint polishes for 'Clear Coat Paint". These polishes have way less abrasives in them. Rubbing Compounds have the highest level of abrasives. For more info you can contact the polish companies, they have staff that will help. TEST an area first, this is GREAT ADVICE.

#32 10 years ago

in my experience, the best way to clean a dirty playfield is beeing really persistent. I had some really good results on my Space Shuttle just with alcohol, a clean cottoncloth and a lot of stamina. Just apply some pressure and keep on rubbin'

Foto 1.JPGFoto 1.JPG

Foto 2.JPGFoto 2.JPG

cheers,
Ben

#33 10 years ago

I think it says it is safe for coated wheels (same as clear coat on pins).

From Mother's website: When cleaning polished aluminum wheels without a clear-coat, or open metals like magnesium, use Mothers® Mag & Aluminum Polish, a proven and popular product.

#34 10 years ago

Everyone hold up a second here.

All of these auto products could change their formulas at any time, and not make any indication on the label.

Auto products sold in California might be different formulas than the rest of the USA.

I would NOT risk my expensive playfield on the crazy whims of Big Chem.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

in my experience, the best way to clean a dirty playfield is beeing really persistent. I had some really good results on my Space Shuttle just with alcohol, a clean cottoncloth and a lot of stamina. Just apply some pressure and keep on rubbin'

cheers,
Ben

I'm curious how long it took to get that 2" square area that 'clean'?
I've not had the patience to get some of my playfields that clean (especially swirls on mid-late 70's Bally's).

Are people spending an hour or two, cleaning a whole playfield? Or is it more like a couple full 8-hour days of scrubbing, to get over all results?

I tend to spend 2 - 4 hours of scrubbing with Magic Erasure (at least two pads worth; cutting into cubes), 91% Isopropal and then Novus 2 and then a couple coats of TurtleWax. And I'm still never happy with the result.

#36 10 years ago

Thanks for your comments Vid, hopefully that puts to rest yet another "using random household/automotive cleaners on your playfield discussion."

Quoted from Timerider:

I tend to spend 2 - 4 hours of scrubbing with Magic Erasure (at least two pads worth; cutting into cubes), 91% Isopropal and then Novus 2 and then a couple coats of TurtleWax. And I'm still never happy with the result.

Are you doing that every cleaning?

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Thanks for your comments Vid, hopefully that puts to rest yet another "using random household/automotive cleaners on your playfield discussion."

Are you doing that every cleaning?

No... Only the initial full tear down & shop... usually right after I acquire a game.
And I guess I lied a bit... when you're looking so close at the game your cleaning, I suppose you see alot more imperfections than it has.
Here's my Night Rider pf that I currently have on the bench, and a before & after of one of the sections showing the bad swirls before cleaning process.
I guess I got it alot cleaner than I originally thought.

NR_full.jpgNR_full.jpg
NR_beforeafter.jpgNR_beforeafter.jpg

#38 10 years ago

Many car cleaner products contain petroleum distillates or abrasive cleaning agents.
Getting road tar & bugs off chrome or wheels (car) takes something more aggressive than Novus 2.

Since my PF never sees tar or bugs I do not need an aggressive cleaner, I want a MILD cleaner and polish.
Mothers Mag cleaner ( the white stuff) is excellent metal polish. You can add it to the tumbler and your posts will shine like a mirror. There is NO WAY its going on my PF.

Novus is designed specifically for plastic and comes in three select abrasive grades.
Novus 2 works great by itself of followed up with a good wax .

#39 10 years ago

Sorry OP, the dirt in those ball swirl marks is only coming out with something more abrasive like Magic Eraser. Best used with some isopropyl alcohol. Rub a little at a time (wet), wipe dry with a cloth, inspect...repeat as necessary. You will need some good wax or, ideally in this case, a clearcoat to restore some shine to it. Rub too hard/long and it will take up the paint.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

I'm curious how long it took to get that 2" square area that 'clean'?
I've not had the patience to get some of my playfields that clean (especially swirls on mid-late 70's Bally's).
Are people spending an hour or two, cleaning a whole playfield? Or is it more like a couple full 8-hour days of scrubbing, to get over all results?

The whole playfield took me definitely longer than an hour! more like a full weekend of lots of half hour chunks of intense scrubbing. Applying high pressure was helping a lot. On some spots i did use a magic eraser too.

Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Sorry OP, the dirt in those ball swirl marks is only coming out with something more abrasive like Magic Eraser. Best used with some isopropyl alcohol. Rub a little at a time (wet), wipe dry with a cloth, inspect...repeat as necessary.

this exact method worked perfectly on the dirtiest parts of my PF.
Foto.JPGFoto.JPG

definitely no oven cleaner needed

cheers,
Ben

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 49.99
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 18.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
$ 45.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-cleaning-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.