Forum Topic

Forum » Tech » Tech: Generic » Playfield cleaning?

Playfield cleaning?

Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders.

By gweempose

5 years ago

• Started 5 years ago
  • 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gweempose

Find posts in this topic

Show only posts in this topic that match certain words or are written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

#1 5 years ago

I was wondering what type of cloth you guys recommend using to clean the playfield, and where is a good place to buy it? Also, is it better to apply the Novus to the cloth first, or directly to the playfield?

#2 5 years ago

Micro fiber towels check these guys out it seems like a nice kit. I m ordering one

#3 5 years ago

For initial cleaning of a dirty playfield I use baby wipes since I will be polishing and waxing it anyway.

But for normal maintenance cleaning, I use Novus1 and microfiber towels. I spray directly on the playfield. Just don't let it sit. I also use a microfiber towel to buff off the wax. Basically, treat it like a brand new car.

Treasure Cove's polishing disk kit is awesome if your playfield is dull.

#4 5 years ago

"But for normal maintenance cleaning, I use Novus 1 ..."

Why Novus 1 instead of Novus 2? I've never really understood which one to use when.

#5 5 years ago

Novus 2 is a polishing agent. It shouldn't be used regularly as it is a mild abrasive. Mainly used when shopping out the machine.
    Novus 1 is a plastics cleaner which is safe for most everything in a pinball machine.
    Even if you use Novus2 you should finish with a Novus1 wipe down before waxing.

#6 5 years ago

Yep, Novus 3 is the most coarse with Novus 1 being the finest. Always use the least aggressive that you can get away with.

#7 5 years ago

here is a good video about cleaning a playfield

» YouTube video

#8 5 years ago

OK, so let me get this straight. Novus 2 is only to be used when you are cleaning a really dirty playfield. Since my machine was fully shopped and waxed before I bought it, regular touch-ups with Novus 1 is all that is needed. As far as waxing goes, it seems like you really have to strip down the entire playfield in order to do it correctly. Since I have no interest in doing this, will I still be OK if I just use Novus 1 from time to time and do nothing else?

#9 5 years ago

If it was already waxed you should just give a regular wipe down with Novus 1 or simple green once a month depending how much playing you do. And every so often give a wax in the high traffic areas so you dont wear down to the paint on the playfield. IMO

#10 5 years ago

if using the Treasure Cove treatment - make sure you have a drill that can get up to 2000 + rpms. A chordless batery drill probably isn't going to go that high. I did 2 playfields with a batery drill and wasn't really impressed. However, on my last pin I got a decent drill and was blown away. Check out these before and after pics - and this doesn't even really do it justice. I recommend this stuff.

BSD_before.jpgBSD_before.jpg (Click image to enlarge) BSD_after.jpgBSD_after.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

#11 5 years ago

To answer your original question, gweempose, I use chamois cloths on my playfields during cleanings. I don't think brand name makes a difference. I bought my cloths from the nearby auto parts store (Pep Boys), but I am sure you can find them just about anywhere. As far as cleaning agents go, I use novus 2 for getting the initial dirt/scratch out. If all I need is to do a usual cleaning, I will use novus 1. If the playfield section is easy to get my hand in (so much so, that there won't be any residue left afterwards), I will directly apply a tiny bit on the playfield itself. If its a really tough part to clean, I will apply the novus onto the cloth/Q-tip, and then clean from there.

Other than that, regular old glass cleaner for the playfield glass. To throw all this stuff in, I got a free car wash bucket from Pep Boys, in which I place all my used rags and cleaning agents.

#12 5 years ago

I ended up purchasing these microfiber cloths from Amazon: link »

With the promotion they have running, it cost me $35 for 72 of them. I thought it was a pretty good deal for a product with such rave reviews. The cloths arrived today, and they seem great; not too thick, not too thin. They should be perfect for cleaning my pins, as well as many other things around the house.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.